Southern Preparatory Academy
Southern Preparatory Academy Photo #2 - Strength of Brotherhood: Southern Prep provides young men with a unique opportunity to benefit from an environment that fosters the development of these bonds: where cadets share a common goal of not only becoming leaders but also becoming part of a team.
Southern Preparatory Academy Photo #3 - Strength of Achievement: First we are a school, then we are a military academy. For our students, the advantage is that we are both. This is because when students apply the structure, organization, and self-discipline of military principles to their academics, they become efficient with their study time, excelling in the quantity and quality of the work they can accomplish.
Southern Preparatory Academy Photo #4 - Strength of Opportunity: When students have the vision to dream, we take it upon ourselves to provide them with the opportunity. This is what drives the implementation of signature experiences such as our Aviation Program-which provides our boys with the opportunity to (literally) soar to new heights.
Southern Preparatory Academy Photo #5 - Strength of Preparation: To be ready for college and life beyond means much more today than academic preparation; it means preparation for life. Our graduates move on with the skills to lead; with strong abilities in self-discipline, organization, and teamwork; and with the drive to achieve.
Southern Preparatory Academy Photo #6 - Strength of Leadership: Because military standards surrounding organization, self-care, and respect are clear and consistent, it creates an environment where the possibility for achievement is equal among all cadets. For many boys, this provides a new opportunity to prove themselves...and they do.
Southern Preparatory Academy Photo #7 - Strength of Southern Prep: We believe that every young man wants to be a part of something great. He wants to become as wise, as strong, as brave, and as respected as he can be. We also believe that each young man can become his very best self when he discovers that responsibility and hard work can make anything possible.
Southern Preparatory Academy Photo #8 - Cadets across campus have an opportunity to better themselves in a variety of ways, such as through the weekly worship service in the Dixon All Faith Chapel on campus. This non-denominational service inspires young men to become more than they ever thought is possible.
Southern Preparatory Academy Photo #9 - Academics are at the highest level of importance at Southern Prep. The curriculum is designed to provide seven years of academic study to students in grades 6-12 who are preparing for vocational training or admission into a college or university. It is challenging, yet rewarding.
- Our purpose is to prepare each cadet for the responsibilities of life and offer the best in academic instruction coupled with the discipline of a military program.
- Southern Preparatory Academy will be recognized as one of the best military boarding schools for young men in the world.
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|Southern Preparatory||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Religious Affiliation||Non-denom. / Christian||Non-denominational|
|Campus Size||300 acres||104 acres|
|Enrollment||110 students||320 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||24||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:10||1:7|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$3,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Director of Admissions||Jenifer Isbell|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Morgan Comolli|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||6||16|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country Running, Drill Team, Football, Soccer|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||9||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Aviation, Beta Club, Color Guard, Drill Team, Drone Demonstration Team, Ranger Team, Robotics Team, Scholars' Bowl, Sword Drill
- We believe that every young man wants to be a part of something great. He wants to become as wise, as strong, as brave, and as respected as he can be. We also believe that each young man can become his very best self when he discovers that responsibility and hard work can make anything possible. Capable young men with this potential to achieve are the young men of Southern Prep.Since its founding in 1898, the focus of our school has been to provide students with opportunity. The opportunity to experience something more; to do something bigger; to be someone better. This same transformational experience remains at the core of the school`s mission today and is rooted in Southern Prep`s close-knit community of adults and students living and learning together in an environment that balances challenge and support.We are an independent boarding school committed to preparing young men of integrity and strength for leadership in college and beyond. Our graduates are proud to be Southern Prep men. Proud of their achievements. Proud of their success. Proud to be a part of something great.
- Southern Preparatory Academy accreditations: AISA
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Bucky Heard - The Righteous Brothers
- Jeremy Farber - CEO of Securis Technologies
- Mario Camara - Head of Saxo Bank
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Southern Preparatory Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Social media is an essential part of a boarding school's marketing strategy
Parents considering schools should read New York Times columnist Frank Bruni's book about college admissions entitled Where You Go Is Not Who You Will Be: An Antidote to the College Admissions Mania. Much of what he says applies in the private K-12 world.
Readers send dozens of questions via Facebook, Twitter and email. What do they ask? Readers want to know which is the best school in a particular country or region. A close second is figuring out how to pay for a private school education. Here are some readers' questions with my answers.