Southern Preparatory Academy
Southern Preparatory Academy Photo #2 - Strength of Brotherhood: Southern Prep provides young men with a unique opportunity to benefit from an environment that fosters the development of these bonds: where cadets share a common goal of not only becoming leaders but also becoming part of a team.
Southern Preparatory Academy Photo #3 - Strength of Achievement: First we are a school, then we are a military academy. For our students, the advantage is that we are both. This is because when students apply the structure, organization, and self-discipline of military principles to their academics, they become efficient with their study time, excelling in the quantity and quality of the work they can accomplish.
Southern Preparatory Academy Photo #4 - Strength of Opportunity: When students have the vision to dream, we take it upon ourselves to provide them with the opportunity. This is what drives the implementation of signature experiences such as our Aviation Program-which provides our boys with the opportunity to (literally) soar to new heights.
Southern Preparatory Academy Photo #5 - Strength of Preparation: To be ready for college and life beyond means much more today than academic preparation; it means preparation for life. Our graduates move on with the skills to lead; with strong abilities in self-discipline, organization, and teamwork; and with the drive to achieve.
Southern Preparatory Academy Photo #6 - Strength of Leadership: Because military standards surrounding organization, self-care, and respect are clear and consistent, it creates an environment where the possibility for achievement is equal among all cadets. For many boys, this provides a new opportunity to prove themselves...and they do.
Southern Preparatory Academy Photo #7 - Strength of Southern Prep: We believe that every young man wants to be a part of something great. He wants to become as wise, as strong, as brave, and as respected as he can be. We also believe that each young man can become his very best self when he discovers that responsibility and hard work can make anything possible.
Southern Preparatory Academy Photo #8 - Cadets across campus have an opportunity to better themselves in a variety of ways, such as through the weekly worship service in the Dixon All Faith Chapel on campus. This non-denominational service inspires young men to become more than they ever thought is possible.
Southern Preparatory Academy Photo #9 - Academics are at the highest level of importance at Southern Prep. The curriculum is designed to provide seven years of academic study to students in grades 6-12 who are preparing for vocational training or admission into a college or university. It is challenging, yet rewarding.
- We believe that every young man wants to be a part of something great.
- He wants to become as wise, as strong, as brave, and as respected as he can be.
- We also believe that each young man can become his very best self when he discovers that responsibility and hard work can make anything possible.
- First Responders Parade - 09/10/2020 - Southern Prep hosts First Responder Parade ahead of 9/11 anniversary
- Return to campus amid COVID-19 pandemic - 08/11/2020 - "We adhere to the safety rules, and we're modifying our program to fit that." -Cadet Norrell, Battalion Commander
- Southern Prep Senior Takes to the Skies - 12/05/2019 - A feature on our third aviation student to complete his solo flight with Brown Aero Flight School in Alex City, AL.
- NHSA Division II Champions - 11/22/2019 - First time in 50 years our Fighting Rangers football team has made it to the playoffs.
- What exactly IS scrub graduation? - 09/03/2019 - On Friday, August 30th, we had 30 scrubs graduate and become cadets of Southern Prep.
- Straight-A Student Accepted to West Point - 03/26/2018 - Senior Cadet Norrell excited to attend West Point in the fall. On average, 90% of Southern Prep seniors will attend a 2- or 4-year college or university upon ...moregraduation, while the remaining 10% join a branch of the United States Armed Forces. hide
- ...read more
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Middle tn state university One or two aspects that I love personally is the hard work and dedication the teachers and staff of southern prep academy that they will never give up on you no matter what the second. . .
- N/A In my opinion, I believe that our school is different from other schools in that everyone gets along at some point because we live together. We are brothers at Southern Prep Academy.Another reason we are. . .
- University of North Carolina @ Charlotte I really liked the Campus! 400 Acres of Hills, Grass, Football and Baseball Fields, Lakes (2 of them), Hiking Trails, Roads, Rifle Ranges, Indoor Swimming Pool, Historic Buildings and Beautiful Rolling Hills. This Campus is. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|Southern Preparatory||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Religious Affiliation||Non-denom. / Christian||Non-denominational|
|Campus Size||300 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||110 students||310 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||24||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:10||1:7|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$3,500|
(From $1,000 to $3,500)
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Tuition international students||$37,000||$52,900|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Director of Admissions||Jenifer Isbell|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Morgan Comolli|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||9||15|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Diving, Drill Team, Football, Riflery, Soccer, Track and Field|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||10||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Aviation, Beta Club, Color Guard, Drill Team, Drone Demonstration Team, Ranger Team, Robotics Team, Scholars' Bowl, SCUBA Training, Sword Drill
- For more than 120 years, Southern Preparatory Academy has existed to educate and train future generations of leaders. As a boarding school, Southern Prep is dedicated to creating a positive environment where our students can live and learn without the distractions found in public schools. Our Corps of Cadets is small on purpose- about 112 young men- this forges a close-knit environment between our students, who are navigating the same new challenges. Southern Prep is renowned for our exemplary academics, commendable military traditions, competitive athletics, and innovative signature programs. We are not JUST a military high school; we are a boarding school, private school, college prep school, and an all boys school rolled into one. Since 1898, we`ve provided our students with the discipline and structure needed for focus, self-reliance, and success.
- Southern Preparatory Academy accreditations: AISA
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Bucky Heard - The Righteous Brothers
- Jeremy Farber - CEO of Securis Technologies
- Mario Camara - Head of Saxo Bank
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Southern Preparatory Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Your graduates can do everything on their smartphones with one click. An alumni relations app will allow them to click a gift to their alma mater. More here.
Do you like large schools or small schools? Are you most comfortable in a city, small town or countryside? Are you interested in attending a school that has a religious or military orientation? Would you like to attend a school that is only for boys or girls? These are some questions you must ask yourself before you begin your search for the right U.S. boarding school for you.
Financing a boarding school education can be very confusing for many parents. Here are some strategies to help you understand your options.