Thornton Academy Photo #2 - Our 80-acre campus located in beautiful, coastal Saco, Maine. Portland, Maine is 15 minutes from campus, and Boston is a short 90 minute drive.
Thornton Academy Photo #4 - Thornton Academy offers 4 years of dance classes, with the highest level being the competitive Dance Company.
Thornton Academy Photo #5 - Thornton Academy's STEM program was designed in collaboration with the University of Maine School of Engineering.
Thornton Academy Photo #6 - Thornton Academy Middle School (TAMS) offers a close-knit community with a focus on our Four Pillars: Respect, Responsibility, Compassion, and Investment.
Thornton Academy Photo #8 - Thornton Academy offers over 40 student-led clubs; from Model United Nations and Neuroscience Team, to TEDxTA and Outdoor Adventure Club.
Thornton Academy is a private, co-ed, boarding and day school for grades 6-12, providing them with the best opportunities for higher education and beyond.
We challenge all students to innovate, grow, and succeed in a changing world.
With over 200 courses offered, Thornton Academy has some of the most comprehensive academic and arts programs in New England.
Thornton Academy has been voted the Best Private School in Maine for 2020 and 2021.
Upcoming Events and News
- Reception - Sat., October 23, 2021 - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Wed., November 03, 2021 8:00am (EDT) - get more information!
- Open House - Sun., November 14, 2021 - get more information!
- Best Private School in Maine 2021 - 08/27/2021 - Thornton Academy is honored to have been voted the Best Private School in Maine for our second year in a row.
All Schools Similar Size Schools
Thornton Academy ranks among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 303 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms|
| 2021 School Data
|Thornton Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||80 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||1571 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1200||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||19 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||12:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||26||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$3,000|
($3,000 per session, two sessions available for 2022. Cost includes: Three meals on weekdays, two meals on weekends, boarding in our modern dormitories, health insurance, all activity fees, local transportation, class materials.)
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$10 million||$25 million|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Director of Admissions||Clint Williams|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Megan Cornwall|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||26||18|
|Courses||AP Biology , AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Chinese, AP Computer Science A, AP Economics, AP Environmental Science, AP European History, AP French, AP Government & Politics - US, AP Human Geography , AP Language and Composition , AP Latin, AP Literature and Composition , AP Music Theory, AP Physics, AP Physics C, AP Physics I & II, AP Psychology, AP Spanish, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art, AP US History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||23||16|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Dance, Field Hockey, Football, Freestyle Skiing, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Volleyball, Winter Track, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||52||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Academic Decathlon, Action Team, Ambassadors Club, Amnesty International Club, Anglers Society, Animal Rights Club, Anime Club, Arabic Club, Astronomy Club, Carpe Diem (Newspaper), Chess Club, Chinese Language & Culture Club, Civil Rights, Classics Club, Debate Team, Environmental Club, Fashion Design Club, French Club, German Club, GSTA, Interact Club, Math Team, Model United Nations, National History Day, National Honor Society, Neuroscience Club, Outdoor Adventure Club, Ribbon Club, Robotics Team, RSVP, Science Olympiad, Spanish Club, Speech Team, Student Council, TA Tour Guides, Table Top Game Club, TATV, TEDxTA, Tripod (Yearbook), Women and Gender Equal Rights Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Art Club, Ink Magazine, Jazz Combo, Orchestra, Photography Club, Student Media Team, TA Players, Technical Theater Crew, Treble Choir
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Cycling Club, Equestrian Club, Ski Club
|Year: 2010 - 2014||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|New York University's Tisch School of the Arts||1|
|Parsons School of Design||1|
|University of California Los Angeles (UCLA)||1|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Thornton Academy, founded in 1811, is a co-educational, independent boarding and day school serving grades 6 through 12. Located on Maine's southern coast in the city of Saco, we are one of the nation's longest operating independent schools.
- Thornton's commitment to excellence enables students to reach their full potential and flourish in a changing world. We offer a safe and secure family environment where every student can find his or her place. Here, students are free to express their own individual ideas, cultures, and dreams, and all students benefit from our unique campus environment and its global perspective.
- Our historic, 80-acre campus is located near some of the finest beaches, ski mountains, scenic areas, and cultural offerings in New England. We are a 90-minute drive from Boston, and 15 minutes from Portland, a vibrant, small city with a working waterfront.
- Thornton Academy offers more than 200 courses in a variety of subjects, including 24 advanced placement (AP) classes, 42 honors level classes, seven foreign languages, and award-winning performing and visual arts programming. Our new state-of-the-art STEM Center (Science-Technology-Engineering-Math) includes four biology and chemistry laboratories, and one engineering lab. Our New Media Center features the TATV television studio, and hosts our classes in computer programming, multimedia production, journalism, and video game programming.
- Outside of the classroom, Thornton Academy offers 57 sports teams and 46 after-school clubs and activities, creating plenty of opportunity for students to pursue their passions and discover new talents.
- Thornton Academy accreditations: TABS, NEASC, NAIS, ISANNE, MAIS
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Thornton Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Thinking about making a major gift to your school? How about endowing a faculty chair? More here.
American boarding schools have always welcomed international students. Rigorous academic programs, extensive athletic programs, and a wide range of extracurricular activities attract students from all over the world.
Admissions to boarding school is a process with many components. The process can be confusing to parents dealing with boarding school admissions for the first time. We guide you through the process.