Thornton Academy Photo #3 - Thornton Academy has been preparing students for a changing world since 1811. A rigorous and broad-based program of academic, arts and athletic opportunities challenges students to reach their potential in readiness for lifelong learning and productive participation in our dynamic world.
- Thornton Academy educates boarding and day students in grades 6-12, providing them with the best opportunities for higher education and beyond.
- We challenge all students to innovate, grow, and succeed in a changing world.
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|Thornton Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||80 acres||104 acres|
|Enrollment||1680 students||315 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||18 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:15||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||24||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$6,000|
(What's included in the price? Three meals on weekdays, two meals on weekends, boarding in our modern dormitories, health insurance, all activity fees, local transportation, class materials.)
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$10 million||$18 million|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Abigail Swardlick Gagnon|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Megan Cornwall|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||24||17|
|Courses||AP Biology , AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Chinese, AP Computer Science A, AP Economics, AP Environmental Science, AP European History, AP French, AP Government & Politics - US, AP Human Geography , AP Language and Composition , AP Latin, AP Literature and Composition , AP Music Theory, AP Physics, AP Physics C, AP Physics I & II, AP Psychology, AP Spanish, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art, AP US History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||23||15|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Dance, Field Hockey, Football, Freestyle Skiing, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Volleyball, Winter Track, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||47||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Academic Decathlon, Amnesty International Club, Animation Club, Archive Club, Art and Spirit Club, Baseball/Softball, Big Brother/Big Sister Program, Carpe Diem (Newspaper), Chess Club, Chinese Language & Culture Club, Civil Rights, Classics Club, Common Ground (Community Service), Common Ground Service Club, Cross Country, Environmental Advisory Board, Exeter Symphonia, Farm/Garden, Filming/Digital Arts, National Honor Society, Outdoor Adventure Club, Peer Mediators, Philanthropy Society, Political Science, Russian Club, Science Olympiad, Spanish Club, Speech Team, Student Council, TA Tech, Table Top Game Club, TATV, Tripod (Yearbook), Volunteers of America, Yoga & Pilates
Arts and Music Programs:
Appalachia Service, Art Club, Concer Choir, Concert Club, Honor Cabinet, Orchestra, TA Players, Treble Choir, West African Drumming
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Outdoor, Ski Club, Ultimate Frisbee
|Year: 2010 - 2014||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|New York University's Tisch School of the Arts||1|
|Parsons School of Design||1|
|University of California Los Angeles (UCLA)||1|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Thornton Academy, founded in 1811, is a co-educational, independent boarding and day school serving grades 6 through 12. Located on Maine's southern coast in the city of Saco, we are one of the nation's longest operating independent schools.
- Thornton's commitment to excellence enables students to reach their full potential and flourish in a changing world. We offer a safe and secure family environment where every student can find his or her place. Here, students are free to express their own individual ideas, cultures, and dreams, and all students benefit from our unique campus environment and its global perspective.
- Our historic, 80-acre campus is located near some of the finest beaches, ski mountains, scenic areas, and cultural offerings in New England. We are a 90-minute drive from Boston, and 15 minutes from Portland, a vibrant, small city with a working waterfront.
- Thornton Academy offers more than 200 courses in a variety of subjects, including 24 advanced placement (AP) classes, 42 honors level classes, seven foreign languages, and award-winning performing and visual arts programming. Our new state-of-the-art STEM Center (Science-Technology-Engineering-Math) includes four biology and chemistry laboratories, and one engineering lab. Our New Media Center features the TATV television studio, and hosts our classes in computer programming, multimedia production, journalism, and video game programming.
- Outside of the classroom, Thornton Academy offers 57 sports teams and 46 after-school clubs and activities, creating plenty of opportunity for students to pursue their passions and discover new talents.
- Thornton Academy accreditations: TABS, NEASC, NAIS, ISANNE, MAIS
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Thornton Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12, PG | 578 students 45.9 miles745 Main Street
Fryeburg, ME 04037
- Grades: 9-12, PG | 435 students 129.3 miles975 West Main Street
Dover Foxcroft, ME 04426
- Grades: 9-12, PG | 400 students 173.7 milesPO Box 190, 66 Cutler Road
East Machias, ME 04630
The wide range of fine academic, athletic, and other facilities found in boarding schools underscores the determination of schools to provide the very best for their students.
Here then are a dozen boarding schools which charge approximately $20,000 per year or less for tuition, room and board.
You and I have experienced all kinds of travel glitches. Discuss your child's upcoming travel plans thoroughly so that your child will be safe and in charge of her travel. The result will be peace of mind for you both.