Thornton Academy Photo #2 - Our 80-acre campus located in beautiful, coastal Saco, Maine. Portland, Maine is 15 minutes from campus, and Boston is a short 90 minute drive.
Thornton Academy Photo #3 - Thornton Academy offers 4 years of dance classes, with the highest level being the competitive Dance Company.
- Thornton Academy is a private, co-ed, boarding and day school for grades 6-12, providing them with the best opportunities for higher education and beyond. We challenge all students to innovate, grow, and succeed in a changing world. With over 200 courses offered, Thornton Academy has some of the most comprehensive academic and arts programs in New England.
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
Thornton Academy is listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 314 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|Thornton Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||80 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||1680 students||320 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||18 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:15||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||28||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$1,500|
($1500 per week: Three meals on weekdays, two meals on weekends, boarding in our modern dormitories, health insurance, all activity fees, local transportation, class materials.)
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$10 million||$20 million|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Clint Williams|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Mackenzie Hanson|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||28||18|
|Courses||AP Biology , AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Chinese, AP Computer Science A, AP Economics, AP Environmental Science, AP European History, AP French, AP Government & Politics - US, AP Human Geography , AP Language and Composition , AP Latin, AP Literature and Composition , AP Music Theory, AP Physics, AP Physics C, AP Physics I & II, AP Psychology, AP Spanish, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art, AP US History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||23||16|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Dance, Field Hockey, Football, Freestyle Skiing, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Volleyball, Winter Track, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||53||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Academic Decathlon, Action Team, Ambassadors Club, Amnesty International Club, Anglers Society, Animal Rights Club, Anime Club, Arabic Club, Astronomy Club, Carpe Diem (Newspaper), Chinese Language & Culture Club, Civil Rights, Classics Club, Debate Team, Environmental Club, Fashion Design Club, French Club, German Club, GSTA, Interact Club, Math Team, Model United Nations, National History Day, National Honor Society, Neuroscience Club, Outdoor Adventure Club, Police Explorer Club, Political Action Group, Ribbon Club, Robotics Team, RSVP, Spanish Club, Speech Team, Student Council, TA Tour Guides, Table Top Game Club, TATV, TEDxTA, Tripod (Yearbook), Women and Gender Equal Rights Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Art Club, Ink Magazine, Jazz Combo, Orchestra, Photography Club, Student Media Team, TA Players, Technical Theater Crew, Treble Choir
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Cycling Club, Equestrian Club, Ski Club, Ultimate Frisbee
|Year: 2010 - 2014||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|New York University's Tisch School of the Arts||1|
|Parsons School of Design||1|
|University of California Los Angeles (UCLA)||1|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Thornton Academy, founded in 1811, is a co-educational, independent boarding and day school serving grades 6 through 12. Located on Maine's southern coast in the city of Saco, we are one of the nation's longest operating independent schools.
- Thornton's commitment to excellence enables students to reach their full potential and flourish in a changing world. We offer a safe and secure family environment where every student can find his or her place. Here, students are free to express their own individual ideas, cultures, and dreams, and all students benefit from our unique campus environment and its global perspective.
- Our historic, 80-acre campus is located near some of the finest beaches, ski mountains, scenic areas, and cultural offerings in New England. We are a 90-minute drive from Boston, and 15 minutes from Portland, a vibrant, small city with a working waterfront.
- Thornton Academy offers more than 200 courses in a variety of subjects, including 24 advanced placement (AP) classes, 42 honors level classes, seven foreign languages, and award-winning performing and visual arts programming. Our new state-of-the-art STEM Center (Science-Technology-Engineering-Math) includes four biology and chemistry laboratories, and one engineering lab. Our New Media Center features the TATV television studio, and hosts our classes in computer programming, multimedia production, journalism, and video game programming.
- Outside of the classroom, Thornton Academy offers 57 sports teams and 46 after-school clubs and activities, creating plenty of opportunity for students to pursue their passions and discover new talents.
- Thornton Academy accreditations: TABS, NEASC, NAIS, ISANNE, MAIS
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Thornton Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12, PG | 578 students 45.9 miles745 Main Street
Fryeburg, ME 04037
- Grades: 9-12, PG | 400 students 173.7 milesPO Box 190, 66 Cutler Road
East Machias, ME 04630
Learn about the benefits of attending a Quaker boarding school.
Sustainable schools have become a part of our 21st century educational fabric.
Thinking about sending your tween to boarding school? The personal attention and comprehensive programs which junior boarding schools offer are worth a serious review.