Thornton Academy Photo #2 - Thornton Academy has been preparing students for a changing world since 1811. A rigorous and broad-based program of academic, arts and athletic opportunities challenges students to reach their potential in readiness for lifelong learning and productive participation in our dynamic world.
- Thornton Academy educates boarding and day students in grades 6-12, providing them with the best opportunities for higher education and beyond.
- We challenge all students to innovate, grow, and succeed in a changing world.
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
Thornton Academy is listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 318 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|Thornton Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||80 acres||104 acres|
|Enrollment||1680 students||320 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||18 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:15||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||28||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$6,000|
(What's included in the price? Three meals on weekdays, two meals on weekends, boarding in our modern dormitories, health insurance, all activity fees, local transportation, class materials.)
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$10 million||$20 million|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Clint Williams|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Mackenzie Hanson|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||28||18|
|Courses||AP Biology , AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Chinese, AP Computer Science A, AP Economics, AP Environmental Science, AP European History, AP French, AP Government & Politics - US, AP Human Geography , AP Language and Composition , AP Latin, AP Literature and Composition , AP Music Theory, AP Physics, AP Physics C, AP Physics I & II, AP Psychology, AP Spanish, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art, AP US History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||23||16|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Dance, Field Hockey, Football, Freestyle Skiing, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Volleyball, Winter Track, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||53||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Academic Decathlon, Action Team, Ambassadors Club, Amnesty International Club, Anglers Society, Animal Rights Club, Anime Club, Arabic Club, Astronomy Club, Carpe Diem (Newspaper), Chinese Language & Culture Club, Civil Rights, Classics Club, Debate Team, Environmental Club, Fashion Design Club, French Club, German Club, GSTA, Interact Club, Math Team, Model United Nations, National History Day, National Honor Society, Neuroscience Club, Outdoor Adventure Club, Police Explorer Club, Political Action Group, Ribbon Club, Robotics Team, RSVP, Spanish Club, Speech Team, Student Council, TA Tour Guides, Table Top Game Club, TATV, TEDxTA, Tripod (Yearbook), Women and Gender Equal Rights Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Art Club, Ink Magazine, Jazz Combo, Orchestra, Photography Club, Student Media Team, TA Players, Technical Theater Crew, Treble Choir
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Cycling Club, Equestrian Club, Ski Club, Ultimate Frisbee
|Year: 2010 - 2014||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|New York University's Tisch School of the Arts||1|
|Parsons School of Design||1|
|University of California Los Angeles (UCLA)||1|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Thornton Academy, founded in 1811, is a co-educational, independent boarding and day school serving grades 6 through 12. Located on Maine's southern coast in the city of Saco, we are one of the nation's longest operating independent schools.
- Thornton's commitment to excellence enables students to reach their full potential and flourish in a changing world. We offer a safe and secure family environment where every student can find his or her place. Here, students are free to express their own individual ideas, cultures, and dreams, and all students benefit from our unique campus environment and its global perspective.
- Our historic, 80-acre campus is located near some of the finest beaches, ski mountains, scenic areas, and cultural offerings in New England. We are a 90-minute drive from Boston, and 15 minutes from Portland, a vibrant, small city with a working waterfront.
- Thornton Academy offers more than 200 courses in a variety of subjects, including 24 advanced placement (AP) classes, 42 honors level classes, seven foreign languages, and award-winning performing and visual arts programming. Our new state-of-the-art STEM Center (Science-Technology-Engineering-Math) includes four biology and chemistry laboratories, and one engineering lab. Our New Media Center features the TATV television studio, and hosts our classes in computer programming, multimedia production, journalism, and video game programming.
- Outside of the classroom, Thornton Academy offers 57 sports teams and 46 after-school clubs and activities, creating plenty of opportunity for students to pursue their passions and discover new talents.
- Thornton Academy accreditations: TABS, NEASC, NAIS, ISANNE, MAIS
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Thornton Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12, PG | 578 students 45.9 miles745 Main Street
Fryeburg, ME 04037
- Grades: 9-12, PG | 400 students 173.7 milesPO Box 190, 66 Cutler Road
East Machias, ME 04630
Social media is an essential part of a boarding school's marketing strategy
Parents considering schools should read New York Times columnist Frank Bruni's book about college admissions entitled Where You Go Is Not Who You Will Be: An Antidote to the College Admissions Mania. Much of what he says applies in the private K-12 world.
Readers send dozens of questions via Facebook, Twitter and email. What do they ask? Readers want to know which is the best school in a particular country or region. A close second is figuring out how to pay for a private school education. Here are some readers' questions with my answers.