Thornton Academy Photo #3 - Thornton Academy has been preparing students for a changing world since 1811. A rigorous and broad-based program of academic, arts and athletic opportunities challenges students to reach their potential in readiness for lifelong learning and productive participation in our dynamic world.
- Thornton Academy educates local, national, and international students, providing them with the best opportunities for higher education and beyond.
- We challenge all students to innovate, grow, and succeed in a changing world.
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|Thornton Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||80 acres||106 acres|
|Enrollment||1680 students||313 students|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||18 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:15||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||24||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$10 million||$19 million|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Abigail Swardlick Gagnon|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Edwin Nunez|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||24||17|
|Courses||AP Biology , AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Chinese, AP Computer Science A, AP Economics, AP Environmental Science, AP European History, AP French, AP Government & Politics - US, AP Human Geography , AP Language and Composition , AP Latin, AP Literature and Composition , AP Music Theory, AP Physics, AP Physics C, AP Physics I & II, AP Psychology, AP Spanish, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art, AP US History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||19||15|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Dance, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Winter Track, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||47||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Academic Decathlon, Amnesty International Club, Animation Club, Archive Club, Carpe Diem (Newspaper), Chess Club, Chinese Language & Culture Club, Civil Rights, Classics Club, Creative, Environment Club, Equestrian Club, French Club, Gay Straight Alliance (GSA), German Club, Green Team, Guitar Club, Ink (Literary Magazine), Interact Club, Math Club, National Honor Society, Outdoor Adventure Club, Peer Mediators, Philanthropy Society, Political Science, Russian Club, Science Olympiad, Spanish Club, Speech Team, Student Council, TA Tech, Table Top Game Club, TATV, Tripod (Yearbook), Volunteers of America
Arts and Music Programs:
Art Club, Concert Club, Dance Club, Jazz Club, Marching Band, Orchestra, PEP Band, TA Players, Treble Choir
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Outdoor, Ski Club, Ultimate Frisbee
|Year: 2010 - 2014||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|New York University's Tisch School of the Arts||1|
|Parsons School of Design||1|
|University of California Los Angeles (UCLA)||1|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Thornton Academy, founded in 1811, is a co-educational, independent boarding and day school serving grades 6 through 12. Located on Maine's southern coast in the city of Saco, we are one of the nation's longest operating independent schools.
- Thornton's commitment to excellence enables students to reach their full potential and flourish in a changing world. We offer a safe and secure family environment where every student can find his or her place. Here, students are free to express their own individual ideas, cultures, and dreams, and all students benefit from our unique campus environment and its global perspective.
- Our historic, 80-acre campus is located near some of the finest beaches, ski mountains, scenic areas, and cultural offerings in New England. We are a 90-minute drive from Boston, and 15 minutes from Portland, a vibrant, small city with a working waterfront.
- Thornton Academy offers more than 200 courses in a variety of subjects, including 24 advanced placement (AP) classes, 42 honors level classes, seven foreign languages, and award-winning performing and visual arts programming. Our new state-of-the-art STEM Center (Science-Technology-Engineering-Math) includes four biology and chemistry laboratories, and one engineering lab. Our New Media Center features the TATV television studio, and hosts our classes in computer programming, multimedia production, journalism, and video game programming.
- Outside of the classroom, Thornton Academy offers 57 sports teams and 46 after-school clubs and activities, creating plenty of opportunity for students to pursue their passions and discover new talents.
- Thornton Academy accreditations: TABS, NEASC, NAIS, ISANNE, MAIS
- Submit Review for Thornton Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12, PG | 578 students 45.9 miles745 Main Street
Fryeburg, ME 04037
- Grades: 9-12, PG | 435 students 129.3 miles975 West Main Street
Dover Foxcroft, ME 04426
- Grades: 9-12, PG | 400 students 173.7 milesPO Box 190, 66 Cutler Road
East Machias, ME 04630
Readers send dozens of questions via Facebook, Twitter and email. What do they ask? Readers want to know which is the best school in a particular country or region. A close second is figuring out how to pay for a private school education. Here are some readers' questions with my answers.
Private school mottoes speak to the high-minded purposes for which most schools were founded.
If you are just beginning to explore boarding schools, this article will give you an overview of the subject. We also point out a couple of things to watch for as you begin your exploration.