Woodside Priory School (Priory)
Our 50-acre campus is located 10 minutes from Stanford University, 40 minutes from San Francisco, and less than 30 minutes from the headquarters of companies like Facebook, Apple, and Google.
Academic rigor is part of life at Priory. Our students graduate fully prepared to enter the most selective colleges and universities.
Our classes are intentionally small and last between an hour and an hour and fifteen minutes, allowing students and teachers to engage deeply in intellectual discourse, critical thinking, and problem-solving.
More than 30 club and activity choices are available to High School students. Clubs provide opportunities to discover passions, develop strengths, apply academic knowledge in a practical way, develop self-knowledge, and learn to make the choices necessary to manage a busy schedule independently.
At Woodside Priory, we offer a competitive interscholastic athletic program. At the same time, we don't cut students from teams, so everyone has the opportunity to participate.
The Priory values arts in education as an expression of one's own humanity and an aspect of understanding all humanity. In concert with academic studies, learning about and doing arts is part of fully developing students' intelligence and potential.
Priory students put on two theater productions each year in Rothrock Performance Hall, a 400 seat proscenium theater with a large stage and state-of-the-art lighting, sound and audience seating.
We offer a professional, supportive and trusting environment where students are given skills to unlock their talents and encouraged to stretch themselves.
Weekend activities are planned by both students and the Residential Faculty. These activities expose the students to various opportunities in and around the Bay Area. Past activities have included ski trips, rockclimbing, sea kayaking, surfing, museums, concerts, camping, shopping, movies, bowling, beach trips, and pro or college sports games.
- Woodside Priory is the only boarding school in Silicon Valley.
- Located within 40 minutes of San Francisco and 10 minutes of Stanford University, the Priory is a coeducational boarding and day school for grades 9 through 12 as well as a coeducational day school for grades 6 through 8.
- Situated on a 50-acre campus in the heart of Silicon Valley, Priory offers a 7:1 student/teacher ratio, a strong college and university preparatory curriculum, a vast performing arts program, and a competitive athletics program. The Priory strives to create a balanced experience for students where they can explore interests, develop passions, and discover meaningful activities.
Upcoming Events and News:
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- King's College London Priory has a high student-to-teacher ratio, which means that each and every student is taken care of by the teacher and the teachers really know the students well. It helps with accommodating individual student's needs. . .
- Brown University Our school is composed of about 20% boarding students and 80% day students in the upper school, meaning we are a smaller, very close-knit community within our larger school community. (The middle school is completely. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|Woodside Priory||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||9-12||7-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||6-12||7-12|
|Campus Size||50 acres||106 acres|
|Enrollment||375 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1927||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1700 - 2100||-|
|Average ACT score||30||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||13 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:7||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||22||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$10 million||$17 million|
(Additional fees are $1,775. Books are extra.)
(Day tuition includes daily lunch. Additional fees include Student Store deposit of $600 and an academic fee of $175. Books are extra.)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$34,900||$22,410|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 11||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||85%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Matthew Lai|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Cherie Baylis|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||22||17|
|Courses||Art History, Biology (Advanced), Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, Computer Science, Economics, English Literature, Environmental Science, French Language, Human Geography, Japanese, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Music Theory, Physics, Psychology, Spanish Language, Spanish Literature, Statistics, Studio Art, U.S. Government and Politics, U.S. History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||11||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Football, Lacrosse, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Water Polo|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||23||23|
|Extracurriculars||Associated Student Body, Campus Ministry, Chamber Choir, Community Ensemble, Concert Choir, Daraja Club, Improv Club, International Club, Jazz Band, Model UN, National Honor Society, Open Art Studio, Prism (LGBT Students Club), Robotics, String Ensemble, Sustainability Club, Symphonic Band, Technical Theater, Technovation Team, TEDx Club, Womentors, Woodworking, Yearbook|
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Located within 40 minutes of San Francisco and 10 minutes from Stanford University, the Priory is a coeducational boarding and day school for grades 9 through 12 as well as a coeducational day school for grades 6 through 8. Situated on a 50-acre campus in the heart of Silicon Valley, Priory offers a 7:1 student/teacher ratio, a strong college and university preparatory curriculum, a vast performing arts program, and a competitive athletics program.The Priory strives to create a balanced experience for students where they can explore interests, develop passions, and discover meaningful activities. Everything we do revolves around our Mission to assist students in becoming lifelong learners and stewards who will productively serve the world in need of their gifts and our five Benedictine values of Community, Hospitality, Individuality, Integrity, and Spirituality. Priory students are challenged to develop their fullest potential in the classrooms, on the athletic fields, in the performing and visual arts, and in service to the greater community around them. Priory graduates go on to attend schools all across the country, including bigger schools such as Stanford, Harvard, Yale, UC Berkeley, and UCLA, as well as smaller colleges like Carleton, Oberlin, Santa Clara, and Whitman.The Boarding Program embodies a family model with a full-time Residential Faculty dedicated to working with boarding students after school, in the evenings, and on weekends. The goal of the Boarding Program is to develop independent, responsible, and kind students who will engage in their communities. International in scope, the program attracts students from all parts of the world and throughout the western United States. Boarders enjoy the seamless interaction with the Priory's day students in and outside the classroom. This provides for a rich diversity of peers and experiences that create a strong, vibrant community.
- School accreditations: Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC), California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS), Western Catholic Education Association (WECA), The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Taylor Eigsti - Grammy nominated jazz pianist
- Marc Fiore - Awarded 2010 Pulitzer Prize for Political Cartooning
- Submit Review for Woodside Priory School (Priory)
- School Location Miles Grades Students
October 24, 2017
How to handle five basic challenges involved in choosing a boarding school.
September 28, 2017
Use a spreadsheet to develop your initial list of schools. Here's how.
September 28, 2017
Finding the right boarding school for your child is one of the most important and expensive decisions you will ever make.