Safe. Well cared for. When your child is away from home you want to make sure they are secure.
You want them to be in an environment where it is comfortable, gives them a place to study and rest, and one that introduces them to social opportunities to enrich their academic experience. North Cross School's dedication to college preparation and the excellence of its truly unique boarding program may be exactly what you're looking for.
- Grades: (Boarding) 8-12
- Enrollment: 569 students
- Yearly Tuition (Boarding Students): $46,000
- Average class size: 13 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
- Source: Verified school update
Definition of Terms | 2023 School Data
North Cross School
Boarding School Avg.
Grades Offered (Boarding)
Grades Offered (Day)
Learning Difference Programs
Through CrossWalk, diagnosed LD, through grade 12
% Students of Color
% International Students
% Students Boarding
Average SAT Score
* National Avg. »View
Offers Post-Grad Year
Academics and Faculty
Classroom Dress Code
uniform for formal dress days
uniform for formal dress days
Average Class Size
* National Avg. »18
Student : Teacher Ratio
# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered
ESL Courses Offered
% Faculty with Advanced Degree
Summer Program Offered
% Students on Financial Aid
Merit Scholarships Offered
None / Rolling
Director of Admissions
AP / Advanced Courses
# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered
Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, Comparative Government and Politics, Computer Science A, English Literature and Composition, French Language and Culture, Human Geography, Latin, Physics 1, Spanish Language and Culture, Spanish Literature and Culture, Statistics, Studio Art 2-D, United States History, World History
# Interscholastic Sports Offered
Total Extracurricular Organizations
10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)
- North Cross School has an exceptional reputation with colleges and universities as an excellent college preparatory school, competing with the finest schools in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- For all we offer, we are also priced very competitively and should absolutely be considered by students and families searching for an exceptional educational experience to fully prepare students for success at the next level. With an experienced faculty and an 8:1 student:teacher ratio, our classes are energetic, fast paced, and rigorous.
- After the academic day closes, most North Cross students remain on campus to compete in our competitive athletic programs, practice for plays and musical performances, write for our publications, and volunteer in the area. It is a full day and students learn not only to manage their time, but also to make the most of it.
- For those considering North Cross School's boarding program, our school and area have a lot to offer. The best of city life coupled with a stunning rural setting makes Roanoke a unique experience for visitors and students alike. The Roanoke Valley (located 250 miles southwest of Washington, D.C., and 196 miles north of Charlotte, North Carolina) hosts many festivals, cultural events, and entertainment opportunities, all within a short distance from our campus. These features coupled with its proximity to the Appalachian Trail makes it a city with something for everyone.
- There are plenty of parks and walkable greenways within the city, connecting it to its surrounding neighborhoods.The regional airport is located just a short drive from the downtown and the Greyhound bus lines are conveniently dispatched from a depot within walking distance to the dorm. Also within walking distance is Amtrak's passenger rail service to D.C. and beyond. Transportation to and from the dorm is offered by the school-about a ten-minute drive away.
- The on-site faculty advisors allow students to have continuity, added support, and they also help to ease the transition into boarding life. In addition, the dorm houses and employs a residential director who makes herself available to students for academic, social and emotional support. Every night during the school week, students have an open-door study hall in their room from 7:30 until 9:30 during which time they can complete their assignments and reach out for help if needed.
- Students have parameters for their free time set in place by their guardians and are required to sign in and out of the dormitory, have their own secure entrance to the building, and enjoy on-site dining facilities. Students eat their dinners and weekend brunch in the dorm's sun-drenched dining hall. The seasoned chef prepares fresh meals daily in the professional-grade kitchen, and takes requests for future offerings. For breakfast and lunch on the weekdays, students eat on the North Cross campus.
- If you're looking for a fantastic educational experience, an exceptional place to live, eat, and explore, North Cross School might be just the right place. Reach out to talk and tour - learn more about "the More" at North Cross School. We believe you'll be glad you did!
- LD types supported: Through CrossWalk, diagnosed LD, through grade 12
- North Cross School accreditations: Virginia Association of Independent Schools (VAIS)
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Will Dichtel ’96 - MacArthur Fellow, Guggenheim Fellow, Northwestern University chemist who helped pioneer the development of porous polymers known as covalent organic frameworks.
- Liza Mundy ’78 - New York Times Best selling biographer of Michelle Obama, her most recent book "Code Girls: The Untold Story of the American Women Code Breakers of World War II is a national best-seller.
Source: Verified school update
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does North Cross School cost?
North Cross School's tuition is approximately $46,000 for boarding students.
Who are famous alumni from North Cross School?
North Cross School famous alumni include: Will Dichtel ’96 and Liza Mundy ’78.
What sports does North Cross School offer?
North Cross School offers 16 interscholastic sports: Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Swimming, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Track, Track and Field and Volleyball.
What is North Cross School's ranking?
North Cross School ranks among the top 20 boarding schools for High percent faculty with advanced degrees.
When is the application deadline for North Cross School?
The application deadline for North Cross School is rolling (applications are reviewed as they are received year-round).
5 Tips for Applying for a Boarding School Job
Whether you're a seasoned educator or just starting your teaching career, these tips will help you navigate the competitive landscape of boarding school job applications. Discover the strategies that can make your application stand out and increase your chances of landing a job at a boarding school.
How I Made Latin One of the Most Popular Classes
Discover the fascinating journey of how Latin became one of the most popular classes in my school. Join me as I share my experiences, strategies, and insights from my years of teaching Latin, and making it an engaging and sought-after subject for students.
January 02, 2024Landing Your Dream Job in a Boarding School: Tips and Guidance
Discover the secrets to successfully securing a teaching position in a private school with our comprehensive guide. We'll walk you through the online application process, offer tips on polishing your application, and provide insights into the specific requirements and expectations of boarding schools. Whether you're a seasoned educator or new to the field, this article will help you stand out and land your dream job in a boarding school.