Our cooks have several decades of combined restaurant experience and make excellent use of Scattergood Farm's certified organic vegetable fields and fruit orchards and grass-pastured beef, lamb, pork and turkey. Our farm provides the majority of students' delicious meals and we bake our own bread. Eating fresh, local and seasonal isn't new. It's been our practice for nearly 125 years.
Every member of Scattergood's Class of 2014 has been accepted to four-year colleges and universities, including Brandeis, Bryn Mawr, Earlham, Macalester, Mt. Holyoke, Oberlin, Reed, Scripps, University of Iowa and more!
Scattergood offers a Sustainable Agriculture Endorsement. Students earning this endorsement take five farm-related Project classes over the course of four years, complete an agriculturally-related topic for either their Junior or Senior research papers and design and execute a 30-hour service project with with Scattergood Farm's livestock, 35 acre restored prairie, or 10 acre certified organic vegetable fields and fruit orchards.
- In addition to providing a solid foundation for higher education, Scattergood is a learning community that fosters the practical application of all kinds of knowledge through hands-on work and service.
- The School's mission is to provide students with a sense of global citizenship while recognizing individual self-worth.
- Scattergood strives to instill in students the ability to live constructively in a community as well as feel that their opinion has been heard.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Earlham College I think that the most obvious unique thing about Scattergood is the student body size. In my experience, having such a small community was something that most people (staff and students) found simultaneously very frustrating. . .
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Scattergood Friends||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Campus Size||126 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||46 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||1712||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1420 - 1850||-|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||8 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:3||1:7|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$4 million||$16 million|
|Tuition international students||$30,780||$47,400|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$14,500||$21,500|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Alicia Streeter|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||5||14|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Fencing, Soccer, Ultimate Frisbee|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||28||23|
|Extracurriculars||Aikido, Archery Club, Assistant, Canoe Club, Ceramics Club, Cycling Club, Dance Club, Drama Club, Drawing, Farm and Forest, Fitness Club, Food Club, Hiking Club, Independent, Jogging/Running, Martial, Peace, Peer, Photography, Sailboat, Service, Student, Sustainable, TADA, Wood,|
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Experience a small, tightly-knit school community of students, faculty, and their families, all living and working together.
- Ask big questions and dive deep into project-based classes full of hands-on experience. Don't just take a science class... be a scientist.Know your food, grow your food! Our organic farm serves as a living laboratory and provides delicious meals year-round.
- Explore issues of peace and social justice with likeminded friends.
- Prepare for college and beyond! Scattergood students have been accepted to Bryn Mawr, Cornell, Earlham, Grinnell, Haverford, Macalester, Oberlin, Reed, Scripps, University of Chicago, and more!
- School accreditations: Independent School Association of the Central States
Submit Review for Scattergood Friends School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 9-12 | 42 students 543.9 miles61830 Sandy Ridge Road
Barnesville, OH 43713
Grades: 9-12| 350 students 166 miles1115 West Broadway Street
Winona, MN 55987
May 18, 2017
The International Baccalaureate programmes cover the entire K-12 spectrum with three distinct educational curricula. In this article, we focus on American private high schools which offer the Diploma Programme.
May 11, 2017
In 1957-58 Peter Denis attended a boarding school in Switzerland. In this article he recounts his experiences for us.
April 26, 2017
Vision. Generosity. High-minded principles. These are the hallmarks of the benefactors of the five schools featured in this article.