Scattergood Friends School
Admission to a four-year college is a graduation requirement at Scattergood. The Class of 2014 was accepted into colleges including Brandeis, Bryn Mawr, Earlham, Macalester, Mt. Holyoke, Oberlin, Reed, Scripps, University of Iowa and more!
Scattergood offers a Sustainable Agriculture Endorsement. Students earning this endorsement take five farm-related Project classes over the course of four years, complete an agriculturally-related topic for either their Junior or Senior research papers and design and execute a 30-hour service project with with Scattergood Farm's livestock, 35 acre restored prairie, or 10 acre certified organic vegetable fields and fruit orchards.
- In addition to providing a solid foundation for higher education, Scattergood is a learning community that fosters the practical application of all kinds of knowledge through hands-on work and service.
- The School's mission is to provide students with a sense of global citizenship while recognizing individual self-worth.
- Scattergood strives to instill in students the ability to live constructively in a community as well as feel that their opinion has been heard.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Earlham College I think that the most obvious unique thing about Scattergood is the student body size. In my experience, having such a small community was something that most people (staff and students) found simultaneously very frustrating. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|Scattergood Friends||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||7-12|
|Campus Size||126 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||46 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1712||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1420 - 1850||-|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||8 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:3||1:7|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$4.2 million||$17 million|
(Sliding scale tuition)
|Tuition international students||$34,900||$47,500|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||14500||$22,700|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Jenn Jansen|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||5||14|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Fencing, Soccer, Ultimate Frisbee|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||28||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Assistant, Farm and Forest, Food Club, Peace, Peer, Service, Student, Sustainable, TADA, Writers
Arts and Music Programs:
Ceramics Club, Drama Club, Drawing, Independent, Photography, Sailboat, Wood, Yearbook
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Aikido, Archery Club, Canoe Club, Cycling Club, Dance Club, Fitness Club, Hiking Club, Jogging/Running, Martial, Yoga
- Experience a small, tightly-knit school community of students, faculty, and their families, all living and working together.
- Ask big questions and dive deep into project-based classes full of hands-on experience. Don't just take a science class... be a scientist. Know your food, grow your food! Our organic farm serves as a living laboratory and provides delicious meals year-round.
- Explore issues of peace and social justice with likeminded friends.
- Prepare for college and beyond! Scattergood students have been accepted to Bryn Mawr, Cornell, Earlham, Grinnell, Haverford, Macalester, Oberlin, Reed, Scripps, University of Chicago, and more!
- School accreditations: Independent School Association of the Central States
- Submit Review for Scattergood Friends School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12 | 53 students 543.9 miles61830 Sandy Ridge Road
Barnesville, OH 43713
May 10, 2018
The ideas and suggestions offered here are aimed at the small to medium-sized schools which have limited marketing resources.
May 09, 2018
Inevitably at some point while you are looking at boarding schools, your child will ask what it's like living at boarding school. Here are some answers to those questions.
May 03, 2018
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.