Scattergood Friends School
Scattergood Friends School Photo #2 - Scattergood challenges students to engage with their learning outside of the classroom. We want our students to be responsible citizens, engaged learners, and independent thinkers.
Scattergood Friends School Photo #3 - Admission to a four-year college is a graduation requirement at Scattergood. The Class of 2014 was accepted into colleges including Brandeis, Bryn Mawr, Earlham, Macalester, Mt. Holyoke, Oberlin, Reed, Scripps, University of Iowa and more!
Scattergood Friends School Photo #4 - Scattergood offers a Sustainable Agriculture Endorsement. Students earning this endorsement take five farm-related Project classes over the course of four years, complete an agriculturally-related topic for either their Junior or Senior research papers and design and execute a 30-hour service project with with Scattergood Farm's livestock, 35 acre restored prairie, or 10 acre certified organic vegetable fields and fruit orchards.
In addition to providing a solid foundation for higher education, Scattergood is a learning community that fosters the practical application of all kinds of knowledge through hands-on work and service.
The School's mission is to provide students with a sense of global citizenship while recognizing individual self-worth.
Scattergood strives to instill in students the ability to live constructively in a community as well as feel that their opinion has been heard.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Earlham College I think that the most obvious unique thing about Scattergood is the student body size. In my experience, having such a small community was something that most people (staff and students) found simultaneously very frustrating. . .
All Schools Similar Size Schools
Scattergood Friends School ranks among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 303 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms|
| 2021 School Data
|Scattergood Friends||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||126 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||32 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||8 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||3:1||7:1|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$4.2 million||$25 million|
(Sliding scale tuition)
|Tuition international students||$37,900||$54,500|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$14,500||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 15 / May. 1||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Shari Sollars|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||2||16|
|Sports||Fencing, Ultimate Frisbee|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||11||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Indoor Soccer Club, Wood Working, Writers
Arts and Music Programs:
Ceramics Club, Journalism/Newspaper, Yearbook
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Archery Club, Canoe Club, Cycling Club, Jogging/Running, Yoga
- Experience a small, tightly-knit school community of students, faculty, and their families, all living and working together.
- Ask big questions and dive deep into project-based classes full of hands-on experience. Don't just take a science class... be a scientist.Know your food, grow your food! Our organic farm serves as a living laboratory and provides delicious meals year-round.
- Explore issues of peace and social justice with like-minded friends.
- Prepare for college and beyond! Scattergood students have been accepted to Bryn Mawr, Cornell, Earlham, Grinnell, Haverford, Macalester, Oberlin, Reed, Scripps, University of Chicago, and more!
- Scattergood Friends School accreditations: Independent School Association of the Central States
- Submit Review for Scattergood Friends School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12, PG | 120 students 918.9 miles476 Skiff Mountain Road
Kent, CT 06757
(860) 927-0047918.99-12, PG120
- Grades: 9-12 | 35 students 543.9 miles61830 Sandy Ridge Road
Barnesville, OH 43713
- Grades: 7-12| 447 students 564.9 miles60 Knox Lane
Wheeling, WV 26003
Thinking about making a major gift to your school? How about endowing a faculty chair? More here.
American boarding schools have always welcomed international students. Rigorous academic programs, extensive athletic programs, and a wide range of extracurricular activities attract students from all over the world.
Admissions to boarding school is a process with many components. The process can be confusing to parents dealing with boarding school admissions for the first time. We guide you through the process.