Scattergood Friends School
Admission to a four-year college is a graduation requirement at Scattergood. The Class of 2014 was accepted into colleges including Brandeis, Bryn Mawr, Earlham, Macalester, Mt. Holyoke, Oberlin, Reed, Scripps, University of Iowa and more!
Scattergood offers a Sustainable Agriculture Endorsement. Students earning this endorsement take five farm-related Project classes over the course of four years, complete an agriculturally-related topic for either their Junior or Senior research papers and design and execute a 30-hour service project with with Scattergood Farm's livestock, 35 acre restored prairie, or 10 acre certified organic vegetable fields and fruit orchards.
- In addition to providing a solid foundation for higher education, Scattergood is a learning community that fosters the practical application of all kinds of knowledge through hands-on work and service.
- The School's mission is to provide students with a sense of global citizenship while recognizing individual self-worth.
- Scattergood strives to instill in students the ability to live constructively in a community as well as feel that their opinion has been heard.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Earlham College I think that the most obvious unique thing about Scattergood is the student body size. In my experience, having such a small community was something that most people (staff and students) found simultaneously very frustrating. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|Scattergood Friends||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||6-12|
|Campus Size||126 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||46 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1712||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1420 - 1850||-|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||8 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:3||1:7|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$4 million||$17 million|
(Sliding scale tuition)
(Sliding scale tuition)
|Tuition international students||$34,900||$47,500|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$14,500||$22,730|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Jenn Jansen|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||5||14|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Fencing, Soccer, Ultimate Frisbee|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||28||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Assistant, Farm and Forest, Food Club, Peace, Peer, Service, Student, Sustainable, TADA, Writers
Arts and Music Programs:
Ceramics Club, Drama Club, Drawing, Independent, Photography, Sailboat, Wood, Yearbook
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Aikido, Archery Club, Canoe Club, Cycling Club, Dance Club, Fitness Club, Hiking Club, Jogging/Running, Martial, Yoga
- Experience a small, tightly-knit school community of students, faculty, and their families, all living and working together.
- Ask big questions and dive deep into project-based classes full of hands-on experience. Don't just take a science class... be a scientist.Know your food, grow your food! Our organic farm serves as a living laboratory and provides delicious meals year-round.
- Explore issues of peace and social justice with likeminded friends.
- Prepare for college and beyond! Scattergood students have been accepted to Bryn Mawr, Cornell, Earlham, Grinnell, Haverford, Macalester, Oberlin, Reed, Scripps, University of Chicago, and more!
- School accreditations: Independent School Association of the Central States
- Submit Review for Scattergood Friends School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12 | 53 students 543.9 miles61830 Sandy Ridge Road
Barnesville, OH 43713
- Grades: 9-12| 350 students 166 miles1115 West Broadway Street
Winona, MN 55987
March 19, 2018
Some cynics think single-sex education is old-fashioned. The Kiski School shows how educating boys in a single-sex school is successful.
March 14, 2018
Determining which programs are 'must haves' is an important part of choosing the right boarding school for your child.
March 08, 2018
The wide range of fine academic, athletic, and other facilities found in boarding schools underscores the determination of schools to provide the very best for their students.