Scattergood Friends School
Scattergood Friends School Photo #2 - Scattergood challenges students to engage with their learning outside of the classroom. We want our students to be responsible citizens, engaged learners, and independent thinkers.
Scattergood Friends School Photo #3 - Admission to a four-year college is a graduation requirement at Scattergood. The Class of 2014 was accepted into colleges including Brandeis, Bryn Mawr, Earlham, Macalester, Mt. Holyoke, Oberlin, Reed, Scripps, University of Iowa and more!
Scattergood Friends School Photo #4 - Scattergood offers a Sustainable Agriculture Endorsement. Students earning this endorsement take five farm-related Project classes over the course of four years, complete an agriculturally-related topic for either their Junior or Senior research papers and design and execute a 30-hour service project with with Scattergood Farm's livestock, 35 acre restored prairie, or 10 acre certified organic vegetable fields and fruit orchards.
- In addition to providing a solid foundation for higher education, Scattergood is a learning community that fosters the practical application of all kinds of knowledge through hands-on work and service.
- The School's mission is to provide students with a sense of global citizenship while recognizing individual self-worth.
- Scattergood strives to instill in students the ability to live constructively in a community as well as feel that their opinion has been heard.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Earlham College I think that the most obvious unique thing about Scattergood is the student body size. In my experience, having such a small community was something that most people (staff and students) found simultaneously very frustrating. . .
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
Scattergood Friends School is listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 318 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|Scattergood Friends||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||7-12|
|Campus Size||126 acres||104 acres|
|Enrollment||46 students||320 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1230||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||8 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:3||1:7|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$4.2 million||$20 million|
(Sliding scale tuition)
|Tuition international students||$34,900||$50,500|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$14,500||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Jenn Jansen|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||5||16|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Fencing, Soccer, Ultimate Frisbee|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||28||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Assistant, Human Rights Alliance, Indoor Soccer Club, Intramural softball, Sustainable, TADA, The Atlas (school newspaper), Wood Working, World Health Organization (WHO), Writers
Arts and Music Programs:
Ceramics Club, E.U.R.O. Club, Improv Jam, Jogging/Running, Journalism/Newspaper, Varsity Writing, Wood, Yearbook
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Aikido, Archery Club, Canoe Club, Comedy Sportz, Cycling Club, Eco-Savvy, Enviro Necessities Training, MVCS Live KMVK, Writers Guild, Yoga
- Experience a small, tightly-knit school community of students, faculty, and their families, all living and working together.
- Ask big questions and dive deep into project-based classes full of hands-on experience. Don't just take a science class... be a scientist. Know your food, grow your food! Our organic farm serves as a living laboratory and provides delicious meals year-round.
- Explore issues of peace and social justice with likeminded friends.
- Prepare for college and beyond! Scattergood students have been accepted to Bryn Mawr, Cornell, Earlham, Grinnell, Haverford, Macalester, Oberlin, Reed, Scripps, University of Chicago, and more!
- Scattergood Friends School accreditations: Independent School Association of the Central States
- Submit Review for Scattergood Friends School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12 | 35 students 543.9 miles61830 Sandy Ridge Road
Barnesville, OH 43713
- Grades: 7-12| 437 students 564.9 miles60 Knox Lane
Wheeling, WV 26003
Readers send dozens of questions via Facebook, Twitter and email. What do they ask? Readers want to know which is the best school in a particular country or region. A close second is figuring out how to pay for a private school education. Here are some readers' questions with my answers.
The essence of a private school education is that strong partnership forged between school, parent and child.
Two kinds of admissions are in use at American boarding schools: admissions with a fixed deadline and rolling admissions. We take a look at rolling admissions.