The Greenwood School Photo #2 - At The Greenwood School, our interdisciplinary STEAM projects marry Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math. The projects are student inspired, serving as on-ramps for deeper study in areas they may have overlooked in the past.
The Greenwood School Photo #3 - The Greenwood School campus is nestled in the rolling hills of Vermont on 100 acres of woodlands and trails, and a 3 acre pond.
The Greenwood School Photo #4 - In an elective hands-on-science "Watershed" class, The Greenwood School students work in the field studying how to protect our local resources.
The Greenwood School Photo #5 - Jesse, a Greenwood School teacher & naturalist, led a group of students deep into Ecuador for a cultural immersion experience. They spent 2 weeks living & working with an indigenous community where the boys made lifelong friends. They helped plant coffee, harvest cocoa, & learned to fish, cook and craft using materials and tools provided by mother earth.
The Greenwood School Photo #6 - At The Greenwood School in Vermont, snow and ice means skiing, snowboarding, tubing & pond hockey. Throughout the winter, Greenwood boys visit local ski resorts including day trips to Mt. Snow every weekend. Students ice skate, build snow jumps, and cross country ski here on campus along our hillside trails, providing many fun outdoor opportunities right outside the dorms.
With a student to teacher ratio of 2:1, Greenwood works with students with learning disabilities such as dyslexia, dyscalculia, ADD/ADHD, or executive functioning deficits, and empowers them with the skills and strategies necessary to bridge the gap between their outstanding promise and present abilities.
The result is a school that transforms lives, providing the best environment possible for students with complex learning challenges to realize their academic, social, and creative potentials.
- Grades: (Boarding) 6-12
- Enrollment: 50 students
- Yearly Tuition (Boarding Students): $92,900
- Yearly Tuition (Day Students): $71,300
- Acceptance rate: 20%
- Average class size: 4 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
- Source: Verified school update
Definition of Terms | 2023 School Data
The Greenwood School
Boarding School Avg.
Grades Offered (Boarding)
% Students of Color
% International Students
% Students Boarding
Offers Post-Grad Year
Academics and Faculty
Classroom Dress Code
neat and appropriate
neat and appropriate
Average Class Size
* National Avg. »18
Student : Teacher Ratio
ESL Courses Offered
% Faculty with Advanced Degree
Summer Program Offered
Tuition international students
% Students on Financial Aid
Avg. Financial Aid Grant
Merit Scholarships Offered
None / Rolling
Director of Admissions
# Interscholastic Sports Offered
Total Extracurricular Organizations
10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)
- In order to maximize every student's potential, all students receive a reading and/or writing tutorial that is specific to his/her unique learning style and needs. Greenwood's remedial language specialists are trained in Orton-Gillingham or Lindamood Belle. All classes are integrated so that students learn and apply literacy and organizational skills across the academic program.
- Greenwood students develop strengths and awaken hidden talents in well-developed art, drama, music, woodworking and athletics programs.
- Diagnostic-prescriptive teaching that is multisensory, structured, and sequential ensures effective, individualized programs for all students.
- Highly structured academic and residential programs enable Greenwood students to internalize organizational skills and strategies in all areas of their lives.
- For students who demonstrate a need, Greenwood offers Speech and Language Therapy, Math Tutorials, Social Emotional Learning, and Occupational Therapy.
- Dual college enrollment is offered through partnerships with the Community College of VT and Landmark College, where students are able to gain college or high school credits for courses taken.
- Interscholastic sports and noncompetitive sports are open to any student who wishes to participate.
- Greenwood`s 100-acre, forested campus on a Vermont hillside offers miles of trails for hiking, biking, archery, and cross-country skiing; a 3-acre pond for canoeing, fishing, and ice skating; and a skate/bike park equipped with a halfpipe and dirt jumps.
- The Greenwood applicant should possess "average" to "above" average cognitive skills as measured on the WISC-V. When looking at borderline test scores it is encouraging to see variability in subtest scores that suggest areas of strength.
- Some Greenwood applicants may exhibit avoidance behaviors due to frustration and low self-esteem resulting from their learning challenges. However, once in Greenwood`s safe and supportive community, our students feel they are finally understood, and they experience the academic success they deserve for their efforts. Greenwood does not accept students with primary social, emotional, or behavioral difficulties.
- The Greenwood School is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges and is approved by the state of Vermont and the New England Association of Independent Schools.
- The Greenwood School accreditations: NEASC, The State of VT, NAIS
Source: Verified school update
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does The Greenwood School cost?
The Greenwood School's tuition is approximately $92,900 for boarding students and $71,300 for day students.
What is the acceptance rate of The Greenwood School?
The acceptance rate of The Greenwood School is 20%, which is lower than the boarding school average of 60%. The Greenwood School's acceptance rate is ranked as one of the top boarding schools with low acceptance rates.
What sports does The Greenwood School offer?
The Greenwood School offers 14 interscholastic sports: Alpine Skiing, Basketball, Climbing, Cycling, Freestyle Skiing, Kayaking, Mountain Biking, Mountaineering, Nordic Skiing, Rock Climbing, Snowboarding, Soccer, Swimming and Ultimate Frisbee.
What is The Greenwood School's ranking?
When is the application deadline for The Greenwood School?
The application deadline for The Greenwood School is rolling (applications are reviewed as they are received year-round).
Nurturing Futures: A Journey through Boarding at Haut-Lac School in Switzerland
Nestled in the hills overlooking Lake Geneva in the French-speaking part of Switzerland lies an educational gem that embodies a unique blend of academic excellence, cultural richness and a profound sense of community. Founded over 30 years ago, Haut-Lac International Bilingual Day and Boarding School is now home to both 600 day students and a maximum of 30 boarders from around the world.
What To Wear at Your Job Interview
Navigating job interviews can be stressful, but knowing what to wear shouldn't be. Our comprehensive guide covers the essential dress code tips for men and women interviewing at boarding schools. Make your first impression count with style and professionalism.
Navigating the Modern Maze: Emerging Challenges for Boarding Schools
Explore the pressing challenges facing boarding schools, from marketing difficulties and rising insurance costs to facility maintenance and recruitment of competent trustees and teachers. This article delves into these complex issues and proposes innovative strategies to overcome them.