The Greenwood School
The Greenwood School Photo #2 - At The Greenwood School, our interdisciplinary STEAM projects marry Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math. The projects are student inspired, serving as on-ramps for deeper study in areas they may have overlooked in the past.
The Greenwood School Photo #3 - The Greenwood School campus is nestled in the rolling hills of Vermont on 100 acres of woodlands and trails, and a 3 acre pond.
The Greenwood School Photo #4 - In an elective hands-on-science "Watershed" class, The Greenwood School students work in the field studying how to protect our local resources.
The Greenwood School Photo #5 - Jesse, a Greenwood School teacher & naturalist, led a group of students deep into Ecuador for a cultural immersion experience. They spent 2 weeks living & working with an indigenous community where the boys made lifelong friends. They helped plant coffee, harvest cocoa, & learned to fish, cook and craft using materials and tools provided by mother earth.
The Greenwood School Photo #6 - At The Greenwood School in Vermont, snow and ice means skiing, snowboarding, tubing & pond hockey. Throughout the winter, Greenwood boys visit local ski resorts including day trips to Mt. Snow every weekend. Students ice skate, build snow jumps, and cross country ski here on campus along our hillside trails, providing many fun outdoor opportunities right outside the dorms.
With a student to teacher ratio of 2:1, Greenwood works with students with learning disabilities such as dyslexia, dyscalculia, ADD/ADHD, or executive functioning deficits, and empowers them with the skills and strategies necessary to bridge the gap between their outstanding promise and present abilities.
The result is a school that transforms lives, providing the best environment possible for students with complex learning challenges to realize their academic, social, and creative potentials.
The Greenwood School ranks among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 305 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|The Greenwood School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||100 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||55 students||302 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Khaki pants or jeans and a collared shirt)
|Average Class Size||4 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||2:1||7:1|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Tuition international students||$93,336||$53,975|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$7,500||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||David Hodgson|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||15||16|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Basketball, Climbing, Cycling, Equestrian, Fencing, Kayaking, Mountain Biking, Mountaineering, Nordic Skiing, Rock Climbing, Snowboarding, Soccer, Swimming, Ultimate Frisbee|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||19||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Music Ensemble, Personal Fitness, Rock Band, STEAM
Arts and Music Programs:
Marathon training, Music, Outreach, Videography Crew, Voice, Woodworking
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Admission Ambassadors, Bouldering, Canoe Club, Equestrian Program, Mountain Biking, Rock Climbing, Skateboarding, Ski/Snowboarding Club, Snowboarding
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- In order to maximize every student's potential, all students receive a reading and/or writing tutorial that is specific to his/her unique learning style and needs. Greenwood's remedial language specialists are trained in Orton-Gillingham or Lindamood Belle. All classes are integrated so that students learn and apply literacy and organizational skills across the academic program.
- Greenwood students develop strengths and awaken hidden talents in well-developed art, drama, music, woodworking and athletics programs.
- Diagnostic-prescriptive teaching that is multisensory, structured, and sequential ensures effective, individualized programs for all students.
- Highly structured academic and residential programs enable Greenwood students to internalize organizational skills and strategies in all areas of their lives.
- For students who demonstrate a need, Greenwood offers Speech and Language Therapy, Math Tutorials, Social Emotional Learning, and Occupational Therapy.
- Dual college enrollment is offered through partnerships with the Community College of VT and Landmark College, where students are able to gain college or high school credits for courses taken.
- Interscholastic sports and noncompetitive sports are open to any student who wishes to participate.
- Greenwood`s 100-acre, forested campus on a Vermont hillside offers miles of trails for hiking, biking, archery, and cross-country skiing; a 3-acre pond for canoeing, fishing, and ice skating; and a skate/bike park equipped with a halfpipe and dirt jumps.
- The Greenwood applicant should possess "average" to "above" average cognitive skills as measured on the WISC-V. When looking at borderline test scores it is encouraging to see variability in subtest scores that suggest areas of strength.
- Some Greenwood applicants may exhibit avoidance behaviors due to frustration and low self-esteem resulting from their learning challenges. However, once in Greenwood`s safe and supportive community, our students feel they are finally understood, and they experience the academic success they deserve for their efforts. Greenwood does not accept students with primary social, emotional, or behavioral difficulties.
- The Greenwood School is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges and is approved by the state of Vermont and the New England Association of Independent Schools.
- LD types supported: AD/HD, Dyslexia / Language-Based Learning Differences, Dyscalculia, Executive Function Skill Deficits, Social Emotional Learning
- The Greenwood School accreditations: NEASC, The State of VT, NAIS
Profile last updated: 06/18/2021
- Submit Review for The Greenwood School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 4-9 | 165 students 64.6 miles404 Robin Hill Street
Marlborough, MA 01752
- Grades: 3-9| 193 students 29.7 miles94 Old Main Street, PO Box 8
Deerfield, MA 01342
- Grades: 4-9 | 76 students 109.3 miles4382 Cascade Road
Lake Placid, NY 12946
Some cynics think single-sex education is old-fashioned. The Kiski School shows how educating boys in a single-sex school is successful.
This cry is heard throughout the land as parents try desperately to compare one boarding school against another.
June 30, 2021
You've tried everything but still your child has serious issues. Perhaps it's time to think about sending him to a residential therapeutic school.