Maine Central Institute
- Maine Central Institute is an independent college preparatory day and boarding school founded in 1866.
- MCI pledges to provide a rigorous, comprehensive educational program to a multicultural student body with a wide range of abilities and interests.
- In a safe and caring atmosphere, students will acquire knowledge, self-esteem, social responsibility, and the critical thinking and communication skills necessary for global citizenship and lifelong learning. In a safe and caring atmosphere, students will acquire knowledge, self-esteem, social responsibility, and the critical thinking and communication skills necessary for global citizenship and lifelong learning.
- For Grade 9-12, 20 credits, completion of Manson Essay (college-level) & Senior Project are required for graduation.
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|Maine Central||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Campus Size||23 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||480 students||320 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1300||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(collared shirt, khaki pants, jacket)
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:9||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||18||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Tuition international students||$42,000||$51,450|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Maggie Ren|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||18||18|
|Courses||Advanced Placement Biology with lab, Advanced Placement Calculus AB , Advanced Placement Calculus BC , Advanced Placement Chemistry with lab, Advanced Placement English Literature and Composition, Advanced Placement Environmental Science, Advanced Placement Physics C Electricity and Magnetism, Advanced Placement Physics C Mechanics, Advanced Placement US History and Advanced Placement English Language and Composition , Advancement Placement Statistics, Anatomy Dual Enrollment , AP Art / Advanced Art, AP U.S. Government and Politics, Honors Humanities History IV, Humanities I Honors English, Humanities I Honors History, Humanities II Honors English, Humanities II Honors History , Physiology Dual Enrollment|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||18||16|
|Sports||Ballet, Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Fencing, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Kayaking, Lacrosse, Riflery, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||43||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Aomori Travelers, Art Club, Ballroom Dance, Calligraphy Club, Cappies - Theatre Critic Program, Captains Club, CGA Drill Team, Chess Club, Creative Writing Club, Fleet Volunteer Garden, Futsol Intramural, International Committee, Kindness Krew, Literary Appreciation Society, Longboard Club, Math Team, MX Cares, Politically Incorrect Debate Club, Public Speaking Club, Read, Reggae Music Club, Relay for Life, Salut, Slack Line Club, Songwriters Club, Spike Ball Club, Stamp Club, Supreme Calculus, TED Talks, test, TEST1, test5, Think, Tiger Tribune Newspaper, Venture Club, Write, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
20110924test, Ballet, Masardis, MX Live, Student Ambassador Organization
Recreational Athletic Programs:
The American Indian Club
Maine Central Institute is a traditional day and boarding program with college preparatory academics and a wide variety of athletics, arts, music, theatre, and on campus clubs and activities. The student body is made of people from all over the world and including many different parts of the US. Maine Central Institute Academic highlights:
- Manson Essay: It is a distinguished Junior essay (college-level) requirement originating in the late 1800's. All Juniors spend months researching and writing on a topic of their choice and end the assignment with an oral presentation of their essay in front of their peers.
- One to One ipad program: in 2013, MCI made a commitment to technology use in and out of the classroom by providing iPADs for all students and faculty members. Ipad and apple TV is used in our curriculum.
- Senior project: It is a capstone assessment, integrating students' mastery of communication skills, research techniques, public speaking conventions, and organization for independent, self-directed learning. Students devote five weeks to their chosen learning objectives, then present their knowledge and product to peers, family and community members.
- Bossov Ballet program: it offers pre-professional syllabus prepares students for a professional ballet career.
- Maine Central Institute accreditations: NEASC, TABS, NAIS, ISANNE, SBSA, SSATB, NAFSA, MAIS, CSS, CASE, MPA, NACAS, THE COLLEGE BOARD
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Sam Cassell - Post Graduate Basketball
- Caron Butlet - Post Graduate Basketball
- Lori Celeste - Bossov Ballet Theatre
- Johanna Reuter - Bossov Ballet Theatre
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Maine Central Institute
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12, PG | 120 students 291.1 miles476 Skiff Mountain Road
Kent, CT 06757
- Grades: 9-12, PG | 578 students 91.8 miles745 Main Street
Fryeburg, ME 04037
- Grades: 6-12, PG | 275 students 232.4 miles66 School Street
Granby, MA 01033
Here are five questions the answers to which will introduce you to the world of private schools.
There is a body of research which suggests that girls do learn differently from boys. So, if that is the case, maybe you should consider a girls' school for your daughter instead of sending her off to a coed school. Here are some points to ponder.
Learn about the benefits of attending a Quaker boarding school.