Maine Central Institute
- Maine Central Institute is an independent college preparatory day and boarding school founded in 1866.
- MCI pledges to provide a rigorous, comprehensive educational program to a multicultural student body with a wide range of abilities and interests.
- In a safe and caring atmosphere, students will acquire knowledge, self-esteem, social responsibility, and the critical thinking and communication skills necessary for global citizenship and lifelong learning. In a safe and caring atmosphere, students will acquire knowledge, self-esteem, social responsibility, and the critical thinking and communication skills necessary for global citizenship and lifelong learning.
- For Grade 9-12, 20 credits, completion of Manson Essay (college-level) & Senior Project are required for graduation.
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|Maine Central||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Campus Size||23 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||480 students||310 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1300||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(collared shirt, khaki pants, jacket)
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:9||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||18||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Tuition international students||$42,000||$48,850|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Clint M. Williams|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||18||17|
|Courses||Advanced Placement Biology with lab, Advanced Placement Calculus AB , Advanced Placement Calculus BC , Advanced Placement Chemistry with lab, Advanced Placement English Literature and Composition, Advanced Placement Environmental Science, Advanced Placement Physics C Electricity and Magnetism, Advanced Placement Physics C Mechanics, Advanced Placement US History and Advanced Placement English Language and Composition , Advancement Placement Statistics, Anatomy Dual Enrollment , AP Art / Advanced Art, AP U.S. Government and Politics, Honors Humanities History IV, Humanities I Honors English, Humanities I Honors History, Humanities II Honors English, Humanities II Honors History , Physiology Dual Enrollment|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||18||15|
|Sports||Ballet, Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Fencing, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Kayaking, Lacrosse, Riflery, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||43||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Aomori Travelers, Art Club, Ballroom Dance, Calligraphy Club, Captains Club, Chess Club, Creative Writing Club, Cultural Diversity Club, Dorm Prefects, Fencing Club, French Club, Future Educators, Future Problem Solvers, Go Green Club, Jazz Club, Key Club, Kindness Krew, Lacrosse, Longboard Club, Math Team, Model UN, National Honor Society, Outdoor Adventure Club, Read, Robotics Club, Rocket Club, Role Playing/ Game, Science/Outing, Sewing Club, Student Ambassadors, Student Council, Student Leadership Committee, Tennis/ Chess Club, Think, Video Production, Write, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Ballet, Drama Club, Masardis, Paper Art Club, Vocal Jazz
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Ping Pong Club
Maine Central Institute is a traditional day and boarding program with college preparatory academics and a wide variety of athletics, arts, music, theatre, and on campus clubs and activities. The student body is made of people from all over the world and including many different parts of the US. Maine Central Institute Academic highlights:
- Manson Essay: It is a distinguished Junior essay (college-level) requirement originating in the late 1800's. All Juniors spend months researching and writing on a topic of their choice and end the assignment with an oral presentation of their essay in front of their peers.
- One to One ipad program: in 2013, MCI made a commitment to technology use in and out of the classroom by providing iPADs for all students and faculty members. Ipad and apple TV is used in our curriculum.
- Senior project: It is a capstone assessment, integrating students' mastery of communication skills, research techniques, public speaking conventions, and organization for independent, self-directed learning. Students devote five weeks to their chosen learning objectives, then present their knowledge and product to peers, family and community members.
- Bossov Ballet program: it offers pre-professional syllabus prepares students for a professional ballet career.
- Maine Central Institute accreditations: NEASC, TABS, NAIS, ISANNE, SBSA, SSATB, NAFSA, MAIS, CSS, CASE, MPA, NACAS, THE COLLEGE BOARD
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Sam Cassell - Post Graduate Basketball
- Caron Butlet - Post Graduate Basketball
- Lori Celeste - Bossov Ballet Theatre
- Johanna Reuter - Bossov Ballet Theatre
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Maine Central Institute
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12, PG | 140 students 291.1 miles476 Skiff Mountain Road
Kent, CT 06757
- Grades: 6-12 | 275 students 232.4 miles66 School Street
Granby, MA 01033
- Grades: 9-12, PG | 578 students 91.8 miles745 Main Street
Fryeburg, ME 04037
The wide range of fine academic, athletic, and other facilities found in boarding schools underscores the determination of schools to provide the very best for their students.
Learn about the Post-Graduate(PG) Year, and how it can benefit certain students.
No shortcuts exist to filling the seats in your private school. It requires savvy, effective marketing. More here.