Midland School Photo #2 - Midland's 10-acre certified organic garden. It currently provides 80% of the produce that our community consumes in the dining hall.
Midland School Photo #3 - Small community: twice per day our students, faculty, and staff gather for assembly outside, led by our two senior class Head Prefects.
Midland School Photo #4 - Midland's students plant, cultivate, harvest, wash, and deliver organic produce from our garden to the kitchen, learning what it takes to grow their own food by tracing their hard work from the farm to the table.
Midland School Photo #5 - Backpacking into the Los Padres Wilderness. Our students take frequent trips on Midland's 2,860 acre property.
Midland School Photo #8 - Midland's ceramics class - one of the many art classes we offer our students.
Midland School Photo #9 - Our sophomore class installing our 13th 3-kW solar array on campus during Midland's annual Experiential Week.
- Founded in 1932, Midland School makes education real by doing the work of taking care of campus and community alongside rigorous college preparatory academics at a small, rustic boarding school in the foothills of a national forest in Santa Barbara County. Midland`s strong environmental ethic is cultivated through exploring and knowing the natural world around us, growing our food, chopping our wood, and drawing electricity from student-installed solar panels.
- Midland puts boundaries on screen time and digital entertainment in order to model and cultivate meaningful human connection. At the same time, Midland students are challenged academically, attain digital literacy, engage in experiential learning every week, and complete a senior thesis as a graduation requirement. A Midland education builds character, develops a work ethic, and cultivates authentic student leadership - all things that develop our inner resources and sense of self - by working as a community to take care of our place.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Stanford University Midland's philosophy is "needs not wants." And the community lives that philosophy every day. For four years, I lived in a wood cabin (heated only if I made a fire in our room's. . .
- Lehigh University Few schools empower you the way Midland does. The school's experiential learning coupled with its student run maintenance program gives students the skill set to pursue and build their own projects. For instance. . .
- Smith College Midland is an incredibly unique educational opportunity. What sets it apart are the values of self-reliance and the relationship with the land. The emphasis placed on experiential learning and leadership really grow out of the. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|Midland School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||2860 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||89 students||310 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1220||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||25||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||10 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:4||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||5||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$16 million||$19 million|
|Tuition international students||$60,200||$48,850|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$35,000||$23,500|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 15 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||80%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Cierra Ensign|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||5||17|
|Courses||Advanced Ceramics, American Studies, Art, Biology, Calculus, English 12, Physics, Spanish 4|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||7||15|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Equestrian, Soccer, Softball, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||9||24|
|Extracurriculars||Cooking Club, Environmental|
Club or Organization:
Common, Library, Student
Arts and Music Programs:
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Farm and Forest, Outdoor, Yoga
|Year: 2010 - 2015||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of California, Santa Cruz||4|
|Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University||2|
|University of California, Berkeley||2|
|University of Southern California||2|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Midland uses its 2,860-acre campus academically and recreationally, and the school believes that a life lived close to nature is instructive and enriching.
- Simplicity: One of Midland`s guiding tenets is that the essential ingredients of learning are a student, a teacher, and an idea. In and out of the classroom, Midland students learn how to distinguish between needs and wants, and how to appreciate life's fundamental joys and challenges.
- Self-Reliance: In a ten-acre organic garden, the school grows much of its own produce. To help run the school and maintain the grounds, Midland entrusts students with daily jobs. And older students have authentic leadership roles, which emphasize individual and collective responsibility.
- Community: Midland School is a diverse community of students and teachers in pursuit of academic excellence and moral lives.
- Midland School accreditations: WASC, TABS, CAIS, NAIS
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Midland School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 8-12| 249 students 1.5 milesP.O. Box 98, 2555 W. Highway 154
Los Olivos, CA 93441
Learn about the Post-Graduate(PG) Year, and how it can benefit certain students.
Boarding Schools in a Minute gives an overview of independent residential schools in North America.
No shortcuts exist to filling the seats in your private school. It requires savvy, effective marketing. More here.