- Grades: (Boarding) 9-12
- Enrollment: 82 students
- Yearly Tuition (Boarding Students): $69,700
- Acceptance rate: 40%
- Average class size: 10 students
- Application Deadline: Feb. 15 / rolling
- Source: Verified school update
Academics and Faculty
AP / Advanced Courses
- Midland`s curriculum merges college preparation with experiential learning. Using the extraordinary resources at hand - 2,860 acres in Santa Barbara County, a near 90-year-old culture of responsibility to community and environment, and a committed faculty - we develop personal agency in our students. Midland cultivates the belief that it matters what we do, and we actively engage students in their high school journey, both within and outside the classroom.
- Midland students live their education, from exploring the natural and cultural history of the world beneath our feet in field-based UC-approved science and social science courses in 9th grade, to writing and presenting a senior thesis in 12th grade. With courses ranging from Algebra 1 to Calculus 3 (some years) and English 9 to British Literature, Midland meets students where they are and challenges them to think critically and problem solve resourcefully.
- To step into the Rich Arts Building during the academic day or evening and to see students engaged in the creative process of translating observations into 2D and 3D artworks in drawing, painting, ceramics, and metal is to see a school that values craftsmanship and design. To observe our interdisciplinary World and American Studies classes is to see a school that values discourse and cultural competency. Midland students learn to speak publicly and write fluently, in English and Spanish.
- To develop lifelong learners, our weekly Experiential Saturday program provides structure and staffing for ungraded 3-hour blocks every week that tap into the passions of faculty and students, including farm, ranch, and outdoor explorations; cultural events and talks through UCSB`s Arts & Lectures program; projects on campus; health and wellness discussions; and diversity, equity, and inclusion workshops at peer schools.
- While cultivating a life of the mind, Midland actively builds character, work ethic, and resilience through a daily Jobs program in which every student is not only valued but needed. Midland is preparation for college and life.
- Midland School accreditations: WASC, TABS, CAIS, NAIS
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Midland School cost?
Midland School's tuition is approximately $69,700 for boarding students.
What schools are Midland School often compared to?
What is the acceptance rate of Midland School?
The acceptance rate of Midland School is 40%, which is lower than the boarding school average of 58%.
What sports does Midland School offer?
Midland School offers 7 interscholastic sports: Basketball, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Equestrian, Soccer, Surf Team and Volleyball.
What is Midland School's ranking?
When is the application deadline for Midland School?
The application deadline for Midland School is Feb. 15 / rolling (applications are due on Feb. 15 but additional applications are reviewed year-round as space permits ).
Alumni Reviews Review School
Class of 1998
Class of 1997
Class of 1997