Midland's 10-acre certified organic garden. It currently provides 80% of the produce that our community consumes in the dining hall.
Small community: twice per day our students, faculty, and staff gather for assembly outside, led by our two senior class Head Prefects.
Midland's students plant, cultivate, harvest, wash, and deliver organic produce from our garden to the kitchen, learning what it takes to grow their own food by tracing their hard work from the farm to the table.
Backpacking into the Los Padres Wilderness. Our students take frequent trips on Midland's 2,860 acre property.
Our sophomore class installing our 13th 3-kW solar array on campus during Midland's annual Experiential Week.
- Founded in 1932, Midland School provides a challenging college preparatory boarding high school experience to ninety students on a 2,860 acre working ranch in Los Olivos, California.
- Through study and work it teaches the value of a lifetime of learning, self-reliance, simplicity, responsibility to community and the environment, and a love for the outdoors.
- Midland graduates are independent, self-directed scholars who possess a breadth of knowledge and skills to assure future academic success and meaningful contributions to society.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Stanford University Midland's philosophy is "needs not wants." And the community lives that philosophy every day. For four years, I lived in a wood cabin (heated only if I made a fire in our room's. . .
- Lehigh University Few schools empower you the way Midland does. The school's experiential learning coupled with its student run maintenance program gives students the skill set to pursue and build their own projects. For instance. . .
- Smith College Midland is an incredibly unique educational opportunity. What sets it apart are the values of self-reliance and the relationship with the land. The emphasis placed on experiential learning and leadership really grow out of the. . .
- University of Oregon Small school that teaches one the basic of life. From collecting wood to heat your shelter to mathematical equations to solve the economic world problems. A unique education.. . .
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Midland School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||2860 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||85 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||1697||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||25||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||10 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:4||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||5||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$16 million||$16 million|
|Tuition international students||$52,900||$47,000|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$30,000||$21,582|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 15 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||80%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Tim Weir|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Cierra Ensign|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||5||16|
|Courses||Advanced Ceramics, American Studies, Art, Biology, Calculus, English 12, Physics, Spanish 4|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||6||14|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Equestrian, Soccer, Softball, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||9||23|
|Extracurriculars||Common, Cooking Club, Drama Club, Environmental, Farm and Forest, Library, Outdoor, Student, Yoga|
|Year: 2010 - 2015||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of California, Santa Cruz||4|
|Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University||2|
|University of California, Berkeley||2|
|University of Southern California||2|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Midland uses its 2,860-acre campus academically and recreationally, and the school believes that a life lived close to nature is instructive and enriching.
- Simplicity: One of Midland`s guiding tenets is that the essential ingredients of learning are a student, a teacher, and an idea. In and out of the classroom, Midland students learn how to distinguish between needs and wants, and how to appreciate life's fundamental joys and challenges.
- Self-Reliance: In a ten-acre organic garden, the school grows much of its own produce. To help run the school and maintain the grounds, Midland entrusts students with daily jobs. And older students have authentic leadership roles, which emphasize individual and collective responsibility.
- Community: Midland School is a diverse community of students and teachers in pursuit of academic excellence and moral lives.
- School accreditations: WASC, TABS, CAIS, NAIS
Submit Review for Midland School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 8-12| 245 students 1.5 milesP.O. Box 98, 2555 W. Highway 154
Los Olivos, CA 93441
June 19, 2017
There are many reasons to go to boarding school. The academics, the athletics and the extracurricular activities are just a few considerations. Here are the 10 top reasons why you should go to boarding school.
June 03, 2017
Is boarding school right for you? Boarding schools offer a wealth of experiences in both learning and living which will do you well in later life.
June 03, 2017
Do you like large schools or small schools? Are you most comfortable in a city, small town or countryside? Are you interested in attending a school that has a religious or military orientation? Would you like to attend a school that is only for boys or girls? These are some questions you must ask yourself before you begin your search for the right U.S. boarding school for you.