5.00 (4 reviews)
Tel: (805)688-5114 Ext. 114
PO Box 8 / 5100 Figueroa Mountain Road, Los Olivos, CA 93441
Midland School Photo #2 - Our sophomore class installing our 13th 3-kW solar array on campus during Midland's annual Experiential Week.
Midland School Photo #3 - Midland's 10-acre certified organic garden. It currently provides 80% of the produce that our community consumes in the dining hall.
Midland School Photo #4 - Small community: twice per day our students, faculty, and staff gather for assembly outside, led by our two senior class Head Prefects.
Midland School Photo #5 - Midland's students plant, cultivate, harvest, wash, and deliver organic produce from our garden to the kitchen, learning what it takes to grow their own food by tracing their hard work from the farm to the table.
Midland School Photo #6 - Backpacking into the Los Padres Wilderness. Our students take frequent trips on Midland's 2,860 acre property.
Midland School Photo #9 - Midland's ceramics class - one of the many art classes we offer our students.
- Midland School, located on a 2,860-acre ranch at the edge of the Los Padres Wilderness, has been the leader of place-based college preparatory education since 1932.
- Everything we do-from the courses we choose to teach to how we maintain our campus to the way we feed ourselves-originates from an intentional curriculum that focuses not only on college preparatory classes, but also on leadership, community, and stewardship.
- Our scale empowers students with authentic leadership opportunities, provides highly personalized learning, and inspires the pursuit of intellectual passions.
- At Midland, thirty-eight percent of our students identify as students of color, over half receive generous financial aid to attend, and the depth of our boarding experience facilitates both top-tier college admissions and future success.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Stanford University Midland's philosophy is "needs not wants." And the community lives that philosophy every day. For four years, I lived in a wood cabin (heated only if I made a fire in our room's. . .
- Lehigh University Few schools empower you the way Midland does. The school's experiential learning coupled with its student run maintenance program gives students the skill set to pursue and build their own projects. For instance. . .
- Smith College Midland is an incredibly unique educational opportunity. What sets it apart are the values of self-reliance and the relationship with the land. The emphasis placed on experiential learning and leadership really grow out of the. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|Midland School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||2860 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||87 students||320 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1220||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||25||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||10 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:4||1:7|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$19 million||$20 million|
|Tuition international students||$66,900||$51,800|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$43,000||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 15 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||80%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Cierra Ensign|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||n/a||18|
|Courses||Advanced Ceramics, American Studies, Art, Biology, Calculus, English 12, Physics, Spanish 4|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||7||16|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Equestrian, Soccer, Surf Team, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||13||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Community Service Club, Investment Club, LGBTQ Club, Prefects, Student Government, Woodworking
Arts and Music Programs:
Choir, Newspaper, Theater
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Gardening, Horseback Riding, Surfing, Yoga
|Year: 2010 - 2015||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of California, Santa Cruz||4|
|Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University||2|
|University of California, Berkeley||2|
|University of Southern California||2|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Midland`s curriculum merges college preparation with experiential learning. Using the extraordinary resources at hand - 2,860 acres in Santa Barbara County, a near 90-year-old culture of responsibility to community and environment, and a committed faculty - we develop personal agency in our students. Midland cultivates the belief that it matters what we do, and we actively engage students in their high school journey, both within and outside the classroom.
- Midland students live their education, from exploring the natural and cultural history of the world beneath our feet in field-based UC-approved science and social science courses in 9th grade, to writing and presenting a senior thesis in 12th grade. With courses ranging from Algebra 1 to Calculus 3 (some years) and English 9 to British Literature, Midland meets students where they are and challenges them to think critically and problem solve resourcefully.
- To step into the Rich Arts Building during the academic day or evening and to see students engaged in the creative process of translating observations into 2D and 3D artworks in drawing, painting, ceramics, and metal is to see a school that values craftsmanship and design. To observe our interdisciplinary World and American Studies classes is to see a school that values discourse and cultural competency. Midland students learn to speak publicly and write fluently, in English and Spanish.
- To develop lifelong learners, our weekly Experiential Saturday program provides structure and staffing for ungraded 3-hour blocks every week that tap into the passions of faculty and students, including farm, ranch, and outdoor explorations; cultural events and talks through UCSB`s Arts & Lectures program; projects on campus; health and wellness discussions; and diversity, equity, and inclusion workshops at peer schools.
- While cultivating a life of the mind, Midland actively builds character, work ethic, and resilience through a daily Jobs program in which every student is not only valued but needed. Midland is preparation for college and life.
- Midland School accreditations: WASC, TABS, CAIS, NAIS
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Midland School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12| 249 students 1.5 milesP.O. Box 98, 2555 W. Highway 154
Los Olivos, CA 93441
Four reasons shaped our decision. I share these and other insights with you.
Does your son or daughter ride? Are you thinking about finding a private school which will suit both your academic requirements and your child's penchant for riding? Let's look at a couple of schools with riding programs.
What are you allowed to bring to boarding school? What are you not allowed to bring to boarding school? Answers to those questions and more.