San Domenico School
San Domenico School Photo #2 - San Domenico Upper School athletics prides itself on sportsmanship as for three consecutive years (2007-8, 2008-9, 2009-10) they were recognized as the league's top school when it came to sportsmanship by the Bay Area Conference.
San Domenico School Photo #3 - Our small classes often resemble a college seminar: students and teacher grappling with ideas, sparking new insights, caught up in the give and take of reasoned arguments.
San Domenico School Photo #4 - Boarding creates closer bonds with friends, and more focused discipline for music, sports, student council, and theatre.
San Domenico School Photo #5 - San Domenico Stables is a Hunter / Jumper riding program. We teach riders of all abilities, from the first time on a horse to the show ring. Special focus is given throughout on safe horsemanship, responsibility, respect for the animals, and one another.
San Domenico School Photo #6 - San Domenico is home to a one-acre working organic garden and the largest solar installation in a Marin County school. Our ecoliteracy program is integrated in our curriculum with environmental education, engagement, and stewardship at the core of who we are and what we do.
San Domenico School Photo #7 - FLEX BOARDING: Inspired by a popular British tradition, SD also offers a part-time residential life program we call Flex Boarding?" wherein students spend Monday through Friday with us, their on-campus family, and then return home for weekends.
San Domenico School Photo #8 - As members of the Bay Area Conference, we play teams from around the Bay Area and compete in a range of sports arranged seasonally, such as Badminton, Basketball, Cross Country, Soccer, Tennis, Volleyball, and IEA Horseback Riding eventing.
San Domenico School Photo #9 - The San Domenico Dance department offers an in depth training program in ballet, modern dance, jazz and choreography with professional master teachers and choreographers. The four-year program offers opportunities to explore dance from the beginning to the advanced level. Courses may include homework such as, journaling, book reports, field trips, performance critiques, resumes, biographies, grant proposals and choreography.
San Domenico School Photo #10 - Boarding creates closer bonds with friends, and more focused discipline for music, sports, student council, and theatre. SD provides a nurturing environment and safety guidelines that ensure our students are carefully supervised while also feeling a strong sense of community and comfort. Our favorite compliment is hearing that our dorms feel like a second home.
- San Domenico is a co-educational K to 12 day and boarding school nestled in 515 acres of Marin County, CA rolling hills, 30 minutes from San Francisco.
- Founded in 1850 as California`s first independent school, we carry on that tradition with exceptional academics and character-driven programs designed to develop lives grounded in meaning, innovation, and purpose.
- Our community dedicates itself to discovering and celebrating meaning, purpose, and joy as part of every endeavor.
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|San Domenico School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||9-12||9-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||K-12||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||515 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||680 students||313 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1290||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||29||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||15 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:9||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||16||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$12 million||$18 million|
(Kindergarten tuition: $31,975, Grade 6 tuition: $35,100)
|Tuition international students||$61,275||$48,850|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 10 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||75%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Jennifer Nash|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Diane Campbell|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||17||15|
|Sports||Badminton, Ballet, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Dance, Equestrian, Golf, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Sailing, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||13||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Feed the Hungry, Green Team, Guitar Club, Model UN, Ophelia Project, Outings Club, River Immersion, Second Story Wheat (Student Forum), Student Politics Club, Verities, Visual Media Club, Women In Motion
Arts and Music Programs:
Peace Corps Clu
|Year: 2009 - 2014||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|UC San Diego||9|
|New York University||6|
|University of Washington||6|
|University of Southern California||5|
|Loyola Marymount University||4|
|UC Los Angeles||4|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- We believe that what students do with their educationis is as important as their academic performance.
- San Domenico features innovative and rigorous academics informed our values of study, reflection, service and community.
- SD`s state-of-the art academic facilities, and on campus music conservatory, riding stables, swimming pool, gymnasium, one-acre organic garden, 2,358 solar panels, six tennis courts, and surrounding hillsides, provide literal and metaphorical space in which our students and teachers uncover their purpose, and recognize that the most powerful motivation possible can come from within.
- There are 100 K-12 faculty members, many of whom hold advanced degrees. On average, teachers have more than 12 years of classroom teaching experience and have been members of the San Domenico faculty for over 10 years.
- SD is an ethnically, culturally, and geographically diverse community. There are 320 students in grades 9-12 and 360 in grades K-8. Approximately 40% of the student body resides on campus. 25% of our students are international students.
- LD types supported: Language-based or Mild Learning Differences
- San Domenico School accreditations: WASC, CAIS, WCEA, TABS, NAIS, WBSA
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for San Domenico School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12 | 401 students 361.2 miles440 St. Katherine Dr.
La Canada Flintridge, CA 91011
The wide range of fine academic, athletic, and other facilities found in boarding schools underscores the determination of schools to provide the very best for their students.
Here then are a dozen boarding schools which charge approximately $20,000 per year or less for tuition, room and board.
You and I have experienced all kinds of travel glitches. Discuss your child's upcoming travel plans thoroughly so that your child will be safe and in charge of her travel. The result will be peace of mind for you both.