San Domenico School
San Domenico Upper School athletics prides itself on sportsmanship as for three consecutive years (2007-8, 2008-9, 2009-10) they were recognized as the league's top school when it came to sportsmanship by the Bay Area Conference.
Our small classes often resemble a college seminar: students and teacher grappling with ideas, sparking new insights, caught up in the give and take of reasoned arguments.
Boarding creates closer bonds with friends, and more focused discipline for music, sports, student council, and theatre.
San Domenico Stables is a Hunter / Jumper riding program. We teach riders of all abilities, from the first time on a horse to the show ring. Special focus is given throughout on safe horsemanship, responsibility, respect for the animals, and one another.
San Domenico is home to a one-acre working organic garden and the largest solar installation in a Marin County school. Our ecoliteracy program is integrated in our curriculum with environmental education, engagement, and stewardship at the core of who we are and what we do.
FLEX BOARDING: Inspired by a popular British tradition, SD also offers a part-time residential life program we call Flex Boarding?' wherein students spend Monday through Friday with us, their on-campus family, and then return home for weekends.
As members of the Bay Area Conference, we play teams from around the Bay Area and compete in a range of sports arranged seasonally, such as Badminton, Basketball, Cross Country, Soccer, Tennis, Volleyball, and IEA Horseback Riding eventing.
The San Domenico Dance department offers an in depth training program in ballet, modern dance, jazz and choreography with professional master teachers and choreographers. The four-year program offers opportunities to explore dance from the beginning to the advanced level. Courses may include homework such as, journaling, book reports, field trips, performance critiques, resumes, biographies, grant proposals and choreography.
Boarding creates closer bonds with friends, and more focused discipline for music, sports, student council, and theatre. SD provides a nurturing environment and safety guidelines that ensure our students are carefully supervised while also feeling a strong sense of community and comfort. Our favorite compliment is hearing that our dorms feel like a second home.
- San Domenico is a co-educational K to 12 day and boarding school nestled in the hills of Marin County, CA, on 515 acres of land.
- Founded in 1850 as California`s first independent school, we carry on that tradition with exceptional academics and Dominican inspired values that help to develop lives grounded in a sense of purpose.
- Our community dedicates itself to discovering and celebrating meaning, purpose, and joy as part of every endeavor.
Upcoming Events and News:
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|San Domenico School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||9-12||9-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||K-12||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||515 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||183 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1787||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1570 - 1890||-|
|Average ACT score||29||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:12||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||15||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$10 million||$17 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Dan Babior|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Kimberly Pinkson|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||11||14|
|Sports||Badminton, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Equestrian, Golf, Mountain Biking, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||13||23|
|Extracurriculars||Animation Club, Green Team, Guitar Club, Model UN, Multicultural Club, Peer Counseling, Robotics, San Domenico Singers, Service Learning, Social Justice Club, Student Council, Verities, Yearbook|
|Year: 2009 - 2014||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|UC San Diego||9|
|New York University||6|
|University of Washington||6|
|University of Southern California||5|
|Loyola Marymount University||4|
|UC Los Angeles||4|
- We believe that what students do with their educationis is as important as their academic performance.
- San Domenico features innovative and rigorous academics informed by the Dominican values of study, reflection, service and community.
- SD`s state-of-the art academic facilities, and on campus music conservatory, riding stables, swimming pool, gymnasium, one-acre organic garden, 2,358 solar panels, six tennis courts, and surrounding hillsides, provide literal and metaphorical space in which our students and teachers uncover their purpose, and recognize that the most powerful motivation possible can come from within.
- There are 25 faculty members, 20 of whom hold advanced degrees. On average, teachers have more than 12 years of classroom teaching experience and have been members of the San Domenico faculty for over 10 years.
- SD is an ethnically, culturally, and geographically diverse community. There are approximately 185 students in grades 9-12. Approximately 50% of the student body resides on campus. 40% of our students are international students.
- School accreditations: WASC, CAIS, WCEA, TABS, NAIS, WBSA
- Submit Review for San Domenico School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12 | 385 students 361.3 miles440 St. Katherine Dr.
La Canada Flintridge, CA 91011
September 28, 2017
Use a spreadsheet to develop your initial list of schools. Here's how.
September 28, 2017
Finding the right boarding school for your child is one of the most important and expensive decisions you will ever make.
September 05, 2017
Generous financial aid and a commitment to diversity are hallmarks of the 21st century release of St. Grottlesex. More here.