Sandy Spring Friends School
- Our School is located in Sandy Spring, Maryland, in Montgomery County, about 17 miles from the White House and 20 miles west of Baltimore.
- Sandy Spring Friends School is on an amazing 140-acre park-like property which even includes an Aerial Park.
- We have approximately 590 students in PK3 through 12th grade, and 145 faculty and staff.
- While most students live in the neighborhood or have a short commute, our Upper School (9th-12th grades) also includes a boarding option (both five-day and seven-day) for about 90 students, including a robust international community.
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|Sandy Spring Friends||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||9-12||7-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||Pre-K-12||7-12|
|Campus Size||140 acres||106 acres|
|Enrollment||591 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1755||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||25||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||15 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:8||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||16||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
(additional fees for international students apply)
(Tuition reflected is for upper school day students)
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||16250||$22,730|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Tony McCudden|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||16||17|
|Courses||AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP English Language & Composition, AP English Literature & Composition, AP Environmental Science, AP European History, AP French Language and Culture, AP Music Theory, AP Physics, AP Spanish Language, AP Statistics, AP U.S. Government & Politics, AP United States History, AP World History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||16||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Climbing, Cross Country, Dance, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Rock Climbing, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Winter Track, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||25||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Auto Sport Club, Chess Club, Chinese Culture Club, Fit Bit Club, Hands-on Help, Heals on Wheels, History Club, Literary magazine, Newspaper, Quiz Bowl, Sexuality and Gender Alliance, Short Film-Making Club, Slam Poetry Club, Spirit Club, Stock Index Futures, Student Government, The Fishing Club, The Outlaws – Cycling Club, Think Tank X, Wildebeest, Writing Center, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Spot Light Dance Club
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Kickball, Morley Games
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Sandy Spring Friends School is a welcoming, inquiry-based learning community. A challenging academic curriculum, enriched arts program, inclusive athletics, and service opportunities promote intellectual excellence, collaboration, and strength of character. Recognizing the unique worth of each person, the School strives to challenge each student to reach their potential and develop individual talents.Sandy Spring Friends School students are engaged in the learning process; enjoy the integration of academics, arts, and athletics; and seek to become constructive, caring and effective citizens of the world. We hope you will join our thriving community of scholars, performers, athletes, artists, thinkers, and doers.
- School accreditations: National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS), Association of Independent Maryland Schools (AIMS), The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS), Association of Independent Schools Of Greater Washington (AISGW), Secondary School Admission Test Board (SSATB), Friends Council on Education (FCE), Education Records Bureau (ERB), National Association of College Admission Counselors (NACAC), Potomac and Chesapeake Association of College Admission Counselors (PCACAC), The College Board, Black Student Fund, Friends Schools of Maryland and District of Columbia
- Submit Review for Sandy Spring Friends School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 8-12 | 235 students 49.6 miles17641 College Road
Hagerstown, MD 21740
- Grades: 8-12| 298 students 23.9 miles300 Garrison Forest Road
Owings Mills, MD 21117
May 10, 2018
The ideas and suggestions offered here are aimed at the small to medium-sized schools which have limited marketing resources.
May 09, 2018
Inevitably at some point while you are looking at boarding schools, your child will ask what it's like living at boarding school. Here are some answers to those questions.
May 03, 2018
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.