Shattuck-St. Mary's School
- Shattuck-St. Mary's School (SSM) is a co-educational college preparatory boarding and day school for students in grades 6 through 12 and post-graduate students.
- Founded in 1858, SSM is one of the oldest college preparatory schools in the Midwest.SSM is located in Faribault, Minnesota 45 minutes south of the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul and the MSP International Airport. Our 250-acre (101 hectare) campus serves students from across the United States and around the world.
- In addition to a solid foundation of challenging academics, we offer opportunities for students to discover new passions and talents through our ScholarShift program.
- Interested in learning more? Visit our website to submit an inquiry and hear from our admissions team!
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Boston College During my junior and senior years, the school introduced "blended learning" to the curriculum, so that Monday, Wednesday, and Friday classes were not required. The students could then use this time to get homework or. . .
- Wheaton College I had initially looked into SSM because of the school's ability to combine their strong athletic programs with challenging academics courses. After my first visit to campus, I was in awe of the environment and. . .
- Mount Holyoke College The underclassmen 6th-9th graders lived at the middle school (very convenient for class) and we were required to do volunteer work throughout the summer. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|Shattuck-St. Mary's||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||250 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||449 students||320 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(SSM polo and khaki pants)
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:7||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||16||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Tuition international students||$55,300||$51,135|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Andrew Garlinski|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||16||18|
|Courses||Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, English Language and Composition, English Literature and Composition, Environmental Science, French Language, Government and Politics, Latin: Vergil, Microeconomics, Physics C, Psychology, Spanish Language, Statistics, Studio Art|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||13||16|
|Sports||Basketball, Dance, Drill Team, Figure Skating, Golf, Ice Hockey, Indoor Soccer, Intramural Sports Only, Lacrosse, Soccer, Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||17||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Arch Dance Company, Crack Squad, EDPA (Empowering Differences Promoting Awareness), Gold Key Club, Mock Trial, Players Theatre Troupe, Quiz Bowl, Student Government, The Spectator (student newspaper), Wooden Soldiers, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Chamber Orchestra, Middle & Upper School Choirs, Theater Arts, Visual Arts (painting, drawing, ceramics, photography), weCreate (makerspace with various studios), Wind Ensemble
|Year: 2008 - 2012||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of Minnesota - Twin Cities||17|
|University of Wisconsin - Madison||13|
|University of Illinois - Urbana/Champaign||8|
|University of Washington||8|
|University of Rochester (NY)||7|
|University of St. Thomas (MN)||7|
|Boston University (MA)||6|
|Pennsylvania State University||6|
|University of Minnesota - Duluth||6|
- For students interested in one of our Centers of Excellence, please explore our website and submit a Center-specific inquiry at https://www.s-sm.org/admissions/how-to-apply/.
- LD types supported: Mild to moderate learning disabilities and/or ADHD and average to above average cognitive abilities
- Shattuck-St. Mary's School accreditations: NAIS, ISACS, NAES
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Shattuck-St. Mary's School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Learn about the benefits of attending a Quaker boarding school.
Sustainable schools have become a part of our 21st century educational fabric.
Thinking about sending your tween to boarding school? The personal attention and comprehensive programs which junior boarding schools offer are worth a serious review.