- Tabor offers a thoughtful and rigorous academic program that provides a solid foundation for study at competitive colleges.
- For a school of our size, the curriculum contains an especially broad spectrum of courses, from introductory levels to honors, AP, and post-AP courses to highly sophisticated opportunities for independent work, in the traditional liberal arts fields such as the humanities, math, and the sciences, as well as more unusual offerings for a secondary school in areas such as Greek, marine science, and stage and lighting design.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Washington and Lee University The location on the Marion waterfront is definitely Tabor's most distinct and unique feature. For any students interested in marine biology, nautical science, or a related field, Tabor offers great courses that take advantage of. . .
- The George Washington University It is difficult to overstate the appeal of attending the aptly nicknamed "School by the Sea." Besides the aesthetic appeal of living and learning next to the ocean, the seaside setting offers a host of. . .
- Trinity College Tabor's setting as the School by the Sea is not only an important part of its history, but also of its current image and experience. The unique opportunities provided by the water setting really set. . .
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Tabor Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||88 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||517 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Monthly||Less than once a month|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||24||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$44 million||$16 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 31||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||67%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Andrew L. McCain|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||24||16|
|Courses||Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, Chinese AP Language and Culture, Economics, English Language, English Literature, Environmental Science, French Language, French Literature, Latin AP, Physics B, Physics C, Spanish Language, Spanish Literature, Statistics, US History, World History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||17||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Dance, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Tennis, Track and Field, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||30||23|
|Extracurriculars||A Capella, Admission Tour Guides, Art Club, Astronomy Club, Bowsprit Literary Magazine, Ceramics Club, Community Service Club, Dance Club, Dorm Prefects, Drama Club, Environmental Awareness (EA@TA), Gay Straight Alliance (GSA), Habitat for Humanity, Instrumental, International Student Club, Math Club, Mock Trial Team, Model United Nations, National Honor Society, Peer Listening, Photography, SADD, Speech and Debate Team, Stage Crew, Student Activities Committee,|
|Year: 2004 - 2009||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Hobart and William Smith College||23|
|The George Washington University||17|
|University of Vermont||17|
|College of Charleston||13|
|University of Colorado Boulder||13|
|New York University||12|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- A big school program with a small school's humanity, Tabor Academy offers a rigorous academic program that includes 24 AP courses, and numerous honors level courses across the curriculum. Located on the picturesque shore of Sippican Harbor, Tabor's stunning oceanfront campus is home to 500 students from across the globe. Small dormitories, which average 18 students, provides an exceptional residential program and cultivates a strong sense of community. Tabor graduates often matriculate to the most competitive colleges in the country. Outside the classroom, Tabor offers a wide range of after school activities that include four major drama productions, fifty interscholastic teams, (twenty-three of which compete at the varsity level) seven singing and four instrumental groups.
- Tabor Academy is a coeducational, college preparatory boarding and day school located in Marion, Massachusetts. Tabor enrolls students demonstrating academic ability, strong motivation, sound character, emotional stability, and a willingness to participate fully in the school community. Tabor is founded on the belief that a healthy school community finds common ground while embracing differences and, therefore, accepts a racially, ethnically, religiously, economically, and internationally diverse student body. Tabor students are expected to respect one another and to care for their school.
- Tabor's academic, artistic, athletic, and community programs provide distinctive opportunities for students to achieve genuine understanding and significant skills and to identify and pursue personal goals. As the "school by the sea," Tabor sustains a unique maritime heritage that embodies, in all its programs, the qualities a seagoing life requires: thoughtful preparation for and awareness of the wider world, perseverance, courage, good humor, a sense of direction, and humility.Tabor's faculty commit themselves to balancing high demands with genuine affection for their students and to fostering relationships founded on the compassion, personal integrity, and trust that anchor Tabor's community.
- The core values of our mission statement guide intellectual life at Tabor.
- To inspire a life-long love of learning
- To instill a passion for the highest standards of achievement
- To encourage personal responsibility
- To foster care for others and committed citizenship
- School accreditations: The Association of Boarding Schools, Secondary School Admissions Test Board
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Paul Fireman - Founder and President of Reebok
- John Fish - President of Suffolk Construction Company
- George Graboys - CEO, Citizens Bank
- Robert I. Dodge III - senior official at US Department of Housing and Urban Development
- Lewis Lipsitt - Professor at Brown University, expert on childhood development and psychology
- Thomas Graboys - Harvard professor, author
- Bruce Sundlun - Governor of Rhode Island, 1991 to 1995
- Kevin White - mayor of Boston from 1968 to 1984
- Travis Roy - Author
Submit Review for Tabor Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
May 25, 2017
Financing a boarding school education can be very confusing for many parents. Here are some strategies to help you understand your options.
May 25, 2017
You need to know what is being taught before you decide which boarding school is best for you.
May 25, 2017
Get admissions officer's Clayton Johnston's perspective on how to choose the best boarding school for you.