- Tabor offers a thoughtful and rigorous academic program that provides a solid foundation for study at competitive colleges.
- For a school of our size, the curriculum contains an especially broad spectrum of courses, from introductory levels to honors, AP, and post-AP courses to highly sophisticated opportunities for independent work, in the traditional liberal arts fields such as the humanities, math, and the sciences, as well as more unusual offerings for a secondary school in areas such as Greek, marine science, and stage and lighting design.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Middlebury College Tabor Academy's waterfront setting is what makes it so unique. With a strong marine science program and multiple research opportunities, its relation to the water and "school by the sea" motto makes it one of. . .
- Northeastern University Tabor's campus is on the ocean- the School by the Sea! This means two things. One, we get to enjoy a beautiful view- seeing the ocean through the windows, walking across beautiful green grass between. . .
- UC Berkeley The location on the water is one of the most unique and special parts of Tabor Academy. It enables students to swim in the spring, sail, row crew, and delve into marine science in a. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|Tabor Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||88 acres||104 acres|
|Enrollment||525 students||315 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Monthly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||40||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$44 million||$20 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 31||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||67%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Eric Long|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||40||17|
|Courses||Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, Chinese AP Language and Culture, Economics, English Language, English Literature, Environmental Science, French Language, French Literature, Latin AP, Physics B, Physics C, Spanish Language, Spanish Literature, Statistics, US History, World History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||18||15|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Dance, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||26||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Admission Tour Guides, Aquarium, Astronomy Club, Big Brothers, Big Sisters, Community Service Board, Diversity & Culture Club, Dodge Ball, Dorm Prefects, I Am That Girl, MakerLab, one, Outing Club, Oyster Farm Club, Special Olympics of MA, Student Activities Committee, Tabor Academy Student Council (TASC), Technology, Theater/Performing Arts, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Bowsprit Literary Magazine, Kents Hill Singers, Stage Crew, Student Newspaper, Tabor Academy Photo Pool
Recreational Athletic Programs:
S.S.V. Tabor Boy Crew (sail training)
|Year: 2004 - 2009||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Hobart and William Smith College||23|
|The George Washington University||17|
|University of Vermont||17|
|College of Charleston||13|
|University of Colorado Boulder||13|
|New York University||12|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- A big school program with a small school's humanity, Tabor Academy offers a rigorous academic program that includes 40 AP, Honors, Advanced, or Post-AP. Located on the picturesque shore of Sippican Harbor, Tabor's stunning oceanfront campus is home to 522 students from across the globe. Small dormitories, which average 18 students, provides an exceptional residential program and cultivates a strong sense of community. Tabor graduates often matriculate to the most competitive colleges in the country. Outside the classroom, Tabor offers a wide range of after school activities that include four major drama productions, fifty interscholastic teams, (twenty-three of which compete at the varsity level) seven singing and four instrumental groups.
- The core values of our mission statement guide intellectual life at Tabor.
- To inspire a life-long love of learning
- To instill a passion for the highest standards of achievement
- To encourage personal responsibility
- To foster care for others and committed citizenship
- Tabor Academy accreditations: The Association of Boarding Schools, Secondary School Admissions Test Board
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Paul Fireman - Founder and President of Reebok
- John Fish - President of Suffolk Construction Company
- George Graboys - CEO, Citizens Bank
- Robert I. Dodge III - senior official at US Department of Housing and Urban Development
- Lewis Lipsitt - Professor at Brown University, expert on childhood development and psychology
- Thomas Graboys - Harvard professor, author
- Bruce Sundlun - Governor of Rhode Island, 1991 to 1995
- Kevin White - mayor of Boston from 1968 to 1984
- Travis Roy - Author
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Tabor Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Learn why more and more students are choosing to do a gap or post graduate (PG) year at boarding school.
The typical three-month-long summer break gives juniors and seniors a great opportunity to explore a variety of situations and options.
Learning about a school from its website and social media pages is useful as you decide which school to choose. So is hearing what the school's alumni say about their alma mater.