- Tabor offers a thoughtful and rigorous academic program that provides a solid foundation for study at competitive colleges.
- For a school of our size, the curriculum contains an especially broad spectrum of courses, from introductory levels to honors, AP, and post-AP courses to highly sophisticated opportunities for independent work, in the traditional liberal arts fields such as the humanities, math, and the sciences, as well as more unusual offerings for a secondary school in areas such as Greek, marine science, and stage and lighting design.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Middlebury College Tabor Academy's waterfront setting is what makes it so unique. With a strong marine science program and multiple research opportunities, its relation to the water and "school by the sea" motto makes it one of. . .
- Northeastern University Tabor's campus is on the ocean- the School by the Sea! This means two things. One, we get to enjoy a beautiful view- seeing the ocean through the windows, walking across beautiful green grass between. . .
- UC Berkeley The location on the water is one of the most unique and special parts of Tabor Academy. It enables students to swim in the spring, sail, row crew, and delve into marine science in a. . .
- Bucknell University One of the most unique aspects of Tabor is the location, while other schools may be close to the water, Tabor is ON the water. This is a great asset to the school in terms. . .
- Washington and Lee University The location on the Marion waterfront is definitely Tabor's most distinct and unique feature. For any students interested in marine biology, nautical science, or a related field, Tabor offers great courses that take advantage of. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|Tabor Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||88 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||522 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Monthly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||14 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||40||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$44 million||$17 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 31||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||67%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Barbara Krein|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||40||16|
|Courses||Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, Chinese AP Language and Culture, Economics, English Language, English Literature, Environmental Science, French Language, French Literature, Latin AP, Physics B, Physics C, Spanish Language, Spanish Literature, Statistics, US History, World History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||18||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Dance, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||26||23|
|Extracurriculars||A Capella, Admission Tour Guides, Astronomy Club, Big Brothers, Big Sisters, Bowsprit Literary Magazine, Community Service Board, Dorm Prefects, Environmental Awareness (EA@TA), Gay Straight Alliance (GSA), I Am That Girl, Instrumental, International Student Club, MakerLab, Mock Trial Team, Model United Nations, Outing Club, Oyster Farm Club, S.S.V. Tabor Boy Crew (sail training), Special Olympics of MA, Stage Crew, Student Activities Committee, Student Newspaper, Tabor Academy Photo Pool, Tabor Academy Student Council (TASC),|
|Year: 2004 - 2009||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Hobart and William Smith College||23|
|The George Washington University||17|
|University of Vermont||17|
|College of Charleston||13|
|University of Colorado Boulder||13|
|New York University||12|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- A big school program with a small school's humanity, Tabor Academy offers a rigorous academic program that includes 40 AP, Honors, Advanced, or Post-AP. Located on the picturesque shore of Sippican Harbor, Tabor's stunning oceanfront campus is home to 522 students from across the globe. Small dormitories, which average 18 students, provides an exceptional residential program and cultivates a strong sense of community. Tabor graduates often matriculate to the most competitive colleges in the country. Outside the classroom, Tabor offers a wide range of after school activities that include four major drama productions, fifty interscholastic teams, (twenty-three of which compete at the varsity level) seven singing and four instrumental groups.
- The core values of our mission statement guide intellectual life at Tabor.
- To inspire a life-long love of learning
- To instill a passion for the highest standards of achievement
- To encourage personal responsibility
- To foster care for others and committed citizenship
- School accreditations: The Association of Boarding Schools, Secondary School Admissions Test Board
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Paul Fireman - Founder and President of Reebok
- John Fish - President of Suffolk Construction Company
- George Graboys - CEO, Citizens Bank
- Robert I. Dodge III - senior official at US Department of Housing and Urban Development
- Lewis Lipsitt - Professor at Brown University, expert on childhood development and psychology
- Thomas Graboys - Harvard professor, author
- Bruce Sundlun - Governor of Rhode Island, 1991 to 1995
- Kevin White - mayor of Boston from 1968 to 1984
- Travis Roy - Author
- Submit Review for Tabor Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
September 28, 2017
Use a spreadsheet to develop your initial list of schools. Here's how.
September 28, 2017
Finding the right boarding school for your child is one of the most important and expensive decisions you will ever make.
September 05, 2017
Generous financial aid and a commitment to diversity are hallmarks of the 21st century release of St. Grottlesex. More here.