The Marvelwood School
The Marvelwood School Photo #3 - The math curriculum offers AP and Honors level classes, as well as small-group tutoring
The Marvelwood School Photo #4 - Robotics is a popular elective where students design and create Lego robots.
The Marvelwood School Photo #5 - Harry Potter and Philosophy is a popular elective. This year teacher Glenn Sanchez and students staged the first annual Quidditch tournament.
The Marvelwood School Photo #7 - Weekend activities include on-campus events such as outdoor movies, and off-campus trip including the Catamount Aerial Adventure Park.
The Marvelwood School Photo #8 - Non-competitive athletics are offered as well as League athletics. Mountain biking takes advantage of trails nearby the School.
The Marvelwood School Photo #9 - Community Service Wednesday is an important part of the weekly schedule and the mission of the School. Faculty member Sharon O'Brien and students write, direct and create puppets for a show they perform at local nursery and elementary schools throughout the year.
- A Marvelwood education is characterized by the opportunities to excel that a small school with an impressive faculty:student ratio can provide. We are passionate about providing an educational environment which nurtures academic and personal growth and allows students to play a role in planning their success. A small, coeducational boarding and day school located just 2 hours from New York City in beautiful Kent, Connecticut, Marvelwood strives always to be a place where each child is known, valued, and treated with respect.
- Honors and Advanced Placement courses, environmental studies and science, an expansive arts program, challenging curriculum that is ever expanding, including computer programming classes, as well as optional individualized learning plans,enable Marvelwood students to experience a wide range of academics and to excel.
- Nonacademic programs including weekly community service, visual and performing arts electives, an impressive slate of interscholastic and noncompetitive sports offerings, and a variety of leadership opportunities increase the potential for engagement and success outside the classroom.
- In every way, the structure of the School is thoughtfully designed to support college-bound students in their efforts to achieve positive intellectual, social, personal, and moral growth.
Upcoming Events and News:
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|The Marvelwood||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||7-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||83 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||165 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1650||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1260 - 1760||-|
|Average ACT score||20||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||10 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:4||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||14||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$5,000|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$2 million||$20 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||27500||$23,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Katherine Almquist|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Maureen Smith|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||14||17|
|Courses||American History, Art, Calculas A/B, Calculas B/C, Chemistry, Comparative Politics, Economics, European History, Physics, Senior Honors Program, Statistics|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||22||15|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Climbing, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Dance, Freestyle Skiing, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Mountaineering, Nordic Skiing, Rock Climbing, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||17||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Admission Tour Guides, Community Service Club, Cultural Awareness Club, Literary magazine, Peer mediation, Photography, Student government, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
A Capella, Chorus, Instrumental, Marvelwood Players, Private music lessons
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Canoe Club, Mountain biking, Rock climbing, Skiing
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- LD types supported: Mild Learning Differences, ADD - ADHD
- The Marvelwood School accreditations: NAIS, TABS, CAIS, NEASC
- Submit Review for The Marvelwood School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
September 17, 2018
We explain how to make going off to boarding school your child's idea.
August 28, 2018
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.
August 14, 2018
An education consultant knows schools. Like any professional he has vast experience in and knowledge of his chosen field.