The Marvelwood School
The Marvelwood School Photo #2 - Community Service Wednesday is an important part of the weekly schedule and the mission of the School.
The Marvelwood School Photo #4 - Non-competitive athletics are offered as well as League athletics. Our Outdoor Adventures program features orienteering, hiking, canoeing, camping, and rock climbing.
The Marvelwood School Photo #5 - Robotics is a popular elective where students design and create Lego robots.
The Marvelwood School Photo #6 - A vibrant arts program offers the opportunity for creativity and building a college portfolio.
The Marvelwood School Photo #7 - At Marvelwood, we celebrate each student`s individuality and challenge them to invest in their education and discover new passions.
The Marvelwood School Photo #8 - The Marvelwood Garden and Growing Dome are busy places throughout the year.
The Marvelwood School Photo #9 - Both in and out of the classroom, we are responsive to student interests and strengths, and actively engage their curiosity.
- At Marvelwood, we celebrate each student`s individuality. Our customized approach to learning is responsive to student interests and attuned to their strengths.
- We are a welcoming community, intentionally sized to facilitate close connections and an atmosphere of personal warmth.
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|The Marvelwood||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||7-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||83 acres||104 acres|
|Enrollment||120 students||320 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||10 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:4||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||14||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$2.5 million||$20 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$28,500||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||William Dennett|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Maureen Smith|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||14||18|
|Courses||American History, Art, Calculas A/B, Calculas B/C, Chemistry, Comparative Politics, Economics, European History, Physics, Senior Honors Program, Statistics|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||22||16|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Climbing, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Equestrian, Freestyle Skiing, Golf, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Mountaineering, Nordic Skiing, Riding, Rock Climbing, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||15||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Audio Engineering, Creative Science, Debating and Public Speaking, Student government, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Advanced Dance, Drafting and Design, Film, Jazz Band Ensemble, Jazz Combo, Photography, Private music lessons, The Marvelwood Players
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Rock climbing, Skiing
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Marvelwood is a school that builds confidence and changes lives. We are deeply dedicated to knowing and valuing our students, celebrating their individuality and challenging them to invest in their education and discover new passions. We deliver a customized approach to learning that is responsive to student interests and supports and empowers them to move forward with courage in college, career, and life. We are a welcoming and safe community that embraces a truly diverse population of learners. Our school is intentionally sized to facilitate close connections and a tangible atmosphere of personal warmth. With purposeful guidance and respect, our students thrive and are encouraged to become their best selves.
- LD types supported: Mild Learning Differences, ADD - ADHD
- The Marvelwood School accreditations: NAIS, TABS, CAIS, NEASC
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Jake Burton Carpenter '71 - Jake Burton Carpenter, also known as Jake Burton, is an American snowboarder and founder of Burton Snowboards and one of the inventors of the modern day snowboard.
- Blair Patterson '98 - Blair's work for Estée Lauder has been featured on The View, The Today Show and TLC's iVillage, as well as in Nylon and O Magazines and on the covers of Time Out New York and Harper's Bazaar.
- Nicholas Benson '83 - Nick was awarded the National Endowment for the Arts National Heritage Fellowship, and in 2010, he was named a MacArthur Fellow by the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation.
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for The Marvelwood School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Social media is an essential part of a boarding school's marketing strategy
Parents considering schools should read New York Times columnist Frank Bruni's book about college admissions entitled Where You Go Is Not Who You Will Be: An Antidote to the College Admissions Mania. Much of what he says applies in the private K-12 world.
Readers send dozens of questions via Facebook, Twitter and email. What do they ask? Readers want to know which is the best school in a particular country or region. A close second is figuring out how to pay for a private school education. Here are some readers' questions with my answers.