Emma Willard School
- Calling All Girls-Bring us your smart, your unique, your silly; Bring us your thoughtful and dedicated! Bring us the girls seeking to change the world.
- Emma Willard School is a place where authenticity is celebrated, and girls are encouraged to discover and be their very best selves. Please visit our website, www.emmawillard.org to learn more, or contact firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a visit.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Northeastern University Emma Willard is especially good at facilitating discussion based classrooms using the Harkness Method. I am finding now that I am in college classes that are all large lectures that Emma Willard's teachers were especially. . .
- Washington University in St. Louis Emma Willard's home on Mount Ida is in itself one of a kind. The moment you step on campus, you enter a different world of gray stone walls and unbridled passion. Emma Willard's small, close-knit. . .
- Dartmouth College One of my favorite parts about Emma Willard was the round table method of teaching. All humanities classes were taught around a round table, so that all of the students could see one another. Teachers. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|Emma Willard School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Campus Size||137 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||355 students||310 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1322||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1215 - 1445||-|
|Average ACT score||27||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||19||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$2,200|
(GirlSummer, Emma’s signature summer progra, offers day and boarding programs. Each year, we welcome rising 1st-9th grade girls (boarding for rising 6th through 9th only) from down the street and around the world to our vibrant campus for two-week or four-week programs. We know how important this time is to immerse herself in an all-girls environment. To be sure, each girl experiences the answers to why an all-girls environment matters, and she does this with great fun and long-lasting meaning. GirlSummer Explorer Boarding - $2,100 Writer's Retreat (Boarding) - $2,200 English Language and Leadership - $8,650)
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$103.6 million||$22 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$31,250||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||66%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Julie Clancy|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||18||16|
|Sports||Badminton, Ballet, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Dance, Diving, Field Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Volleyball, Winter Track|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||44||24|
Club or Organization:
Activities Council, African Aid, Animation Club, Architecture Club, Art Room Monitor, Black and Hispanic Awareness (BHA), Chamber Group, Conservation Society, DPP (Dance Performance Project), Drawing, painting, pottery, Emma Green, Emma Now- Student Run Blog, Fair Trade Store, Fellowship of Christians at Universities and Schools (FOCUS), Foreign and American Student Organization, Horsebackrding (English), Instructional Ice Hockey, Instrument Ensemble, Kush (Radio Station), Martial Arts, Multicultural Awareness Club, Music lessons (piano, brass, singing), Muslin Student Association, Open Doors, Outdoor Program, Portfolio, Robotics, Rock Ensemble, Shakespeare, Snowboarding, Spring Theater Workshop, Student/Faculty Senate, Technical Theater, UNICEF
Arts and Music Programs:
Agonies, Campus Players, Choir, Kickball, Literature Live, Planet@CA (environmental club), Road Biking
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- For more than 200 years, Emma Willard has been the premier school for curious, driven girls seeking "more" from their educations. Our girls-known as Emma Girls-follow in the footsteps of our founder, Madame Emma Hart Willard, who believed girls were entitled to the same quality education their brothers had, and opened her own girls` school in 1814 at the young age of 27.
- Emma Willard School prides itself on being a sustained innovator in girls` education and offers personalized programming that enables our girls to explore their personal passions hands-on-whether that means working in a biotechnology lab, getting started in journalism, building on one`s graphic artistry, investigating philanthropy, and more! Our personalized approach enables girls to expand both their minds and confidence while learning alongside likeminded girls from across the United States and world.
- Whether a girl is a day or boarding student, she is sure to find her place among our widely diverse student body, and will be supported by Emma`s close-knit community of faculty, staff, and advisors throughout her journey.
- In addition to offering a rigorous academic program designed to challenge and inspire our girls, Emma offers ample time for fun, too. Throughout the year, girls take part in our schools` long-held traditions such as Eventide, May Day, Principal`s Playday, and the most beloved of all-the annual senior performance of Revels.
- Our historic campus located in Troy, New York is minutes away from our state capital in Albany and a mere three hours from major destinations in New York City, Boston, the Adirondacks, and Montreal, providing numerous opportunities for internships, weekend activities, and field trips.
- Although academics is top priority, on campus our girls enjoy themselves by participating on or cheering for our 12 varsity and four junior varsity athletics teams, attending dormitory teas and get-togethers with classmates, by bowling in our newly renovated bowling alley, or with one of the many games in our student center.
- This balanced approach of substance and fun has well-equipped our Emma Girls for life beyond our castle walls and earned them admission into colleges such as Harvard, Georgetown University, Wellesley College, the University of Norte Dame, New York University, John Hopkins University, Sarah Lawrence College, and many more.
- Emma Willard School accreditations: NYSAIS
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Jane Fonda - Actress
- Kirsten Gillibrand '84 - U.S. Senator for NY State
- Elizabeth Cady Stanton '32 - Author, lecturer, and chief philosopher of the woman's rights and suffrage movements.
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Emma Willard School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 7-12, PG| 236 students 73.2 miles230 Bushy Hill Road
6-12, PG (day)
Simsbury, CT 06070
(860) 408-420073.27-12, PG236
6-12, PG (day)
Several things make boarding school special. The learning, the community, the sports. All these and more.
A private school in its infancy is quite different from the mature community it becomes over time. I wonder what the founders of these five schools would think about them today. I bet they would be very proud of their creations.
Sending our children off to boarding school in the fall of 2020 raises questions about their safety and other corona virus issues. We address some of your concerns here.