Emma Willard School
Emma Willard is your place to shine -- whether it's in the classroom, on the field, on the stage, in our performing halls, or all of the above!
Do you love science? Emma Willard offers a number of interesting science courses, including Lego Robotics, as well as STEM internships and practicums.
Explore your creativity in one of our many unique classes. Emma also offers opportunities for diving deeper into a subject you're really passionate about -- whether it's art, science, ice skating, journalism, or more!
- Calling All Girls—Bring us your smart, your unique, your silly; Bring us your thoughtful and dedicated! Bring us the girls seeking to change the world.
- Emma Willard School is a place where authenticity is celebrated, and girls are encouraged to discover and be their very best selves.
- Please visit our website, www.emmawillard.org to learn more, or contact firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a visit.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Northeastern University Emma Willard is especially good at facilitating discussion based classrooms using the Harkness Method. I am finding now that I am in college classes that are all large lectures that Emma Willard's teachers were especially. . .
- Washington University in St. Louis Emma Willard's home on Mount Ida is in itself one of a kind. The moment you step on campus, you enter a different world of gray stone walls and unbridled passion. Emma Willard's small, close-knit. . .
- Dartmouth College One of my favorite parts about Emma Willard was the round table method of teaching. All humanities classes were taught around a round table, so that all of the students could see one another. Teachers. . .
- Marymount University EWS is unique in that it enables the students to find what they love and pursue it as much as possible. There is no typical Emma girl and that is what makes the school so. . .
- Davidson College Emma Willard is truly a magical place where girls develop academic interests, become more self aware and form lifelong friendships. While an girls school isn't for everyone, it truly helps girls develop into unique. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|Emma Willard School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||7-12|
|Campus Size||137 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||358 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1991||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1819 - 2150||-|
|Average ACT score||27||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||23||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$93 million||$17 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||23450||$22,700|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||66%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Jamie Hicks-Furgang|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Laura Parker Burgess '02|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||19||14|
|Sports||Badminton, Ballet, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Dance, Diving, Field Hockey, Figure Skating, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Winter Track|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||41||23|
|Extracurriculars||Gay Straight Alliance (GSA)|
Club or Organization:
Activities Council, African Aid, Animation Club, Black and Hispanic Awareness (BHA), Emma Green, Emma Now- Student Run Blog, Fair Trade Store, Fellowship of Christians at Universities and Schools (FOCUS), Foreign and American Student Organization, Gargoyle - yearbook, Habitat for Humanity, Hip Hop Club, Interact Club, Junior Singing Group (JSG), Language Tutors, Mock Trial, Model UN, Outing Club, Peer Educators, PHILA -Philanthropy Organization, Political Awareness Club, Primes- Math Tutors, Proctors, Quiz Team, School Council, Science Club, Slavery No More, Student Organization for Animal Respect (SOAR), The Clock - student newspaper, Tour Guides, Triangle - literary magazine, UNICEF, Writing Tutors
Arts and Music Programs:
Agonies, Campus Players, Choir, Inner Choir, Orchestra, Semi Quavers, Twelve Tones
- For more than 200 years, Emma Willard has been the premier school for curious, driven girls seeking “more” from their educations. Our girls—known as Emma Girls—follow in the footsteps of our founder, Madame Emma Hart Willard, who believed girls were entitled to the same quality education their brothers had, and opened her own girls’ school in 1814 at the young age of 27.
- Emma Willard School prides itself on being a sustained innovator in girls’ education and offers personalized programming that enables our girls to explore their personal passions hands-on—whether that means working in a biotechnology lab, getting started in journalism, building on one’s graphic artistry, investigating philanthropy, and more! Our personalized approach enables girls to expand both their minds and confidence while learning alongside likeminded girls from across the United States and world.
- Whether a girl is a day or boarding student, she is sure to find her place among our widely diverse student body, and will be supported by Emma’s close-knit community of faculty, staff, and advisors throughout her journey.
- In addition to offering a rigorous academic program designed to challenge and inspire our girls, Emma offers ample time for fun, too. Throughout the year, girls take part in our schools’ long-held traditions such as Eventide, May Day, Principal’s Playday, and the most beloved of all—the annual senior performance of Revels.
- Our historic campus located in Troy, New York is minutes away from our state capital in Albany and a mere three hours from major destinations in New York City, Boston, the Adirondacks, and Montreal, providing numerous opportunities for internships, weekend activities, and field trips.
- Although academics is top priority, on campus our girls enjoy themselves by participating on or cheering for our 12 varsity and four junior varsity athletics teams, attending dormitory teas and get-togethers with classmates, by bowling in our newly renovated bowling alley, or with one of the many games in our student center.
- This balanced approach of substance and fun has well-equipped our Emma Girls for life beyond our castle walls and earned them admission into colleges such as Harvard, Georgetown University, Wellesley College, the University of Norte Dame, New York University, John Hopkins University, Sarah Lawrence College, and many more.
- School accreditations: NYSAIS
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Jane Fonda - Actress
- Kirsten Gillibrand '84 - Junior Senator for NY State
- Submit Review for Emma Willard School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12, PG| 252 students 73.2 miles230 Bushy Hill Road
6-12, PG (day)
Simsbury, CT 06070
6-12, PG (day)
May 10, 2018
The ideas and suggestions offered here are aimed at the small to medium-sized schools which have limited marketing resources.
May 09, 2018
Inevitably at some point while you are looking at boarding schools, your child will ask what it's like living at boarding school. Here are some answers to those questions.
May 03, 2018
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.