All students are required to attend sit-down family-style meals together in the Dining Room for lunch, and boarding students attend seated dinners several nights a week. Faculty members and their families join the students in a relaxed, yet formal atmosphere, where they enjoy interaction with one another outside of the classroom.
Boarding students reside on campus in one of six dormitory complexes. Faculty members and their families live in apartments in each dorm.
Headmaster Zachary G. Lehman is passionate about seeing Hill described as 'both the most traditional and the most innovative secondary school in the country ?? simultaneously.' To that end, The Hill School complements its traditions with an energetic level of innovation
- Founded in 1851, The Hill School is a purposefully small and close learning community - a place where our academic excellence is based upon a challenging liberal arts curriculum; a faculty of highly qualified, dedicated teachers; a noteworthy breadth of advanced and honors course offerings; and a structured atmosphere that blends high expectations with meaningful support.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Colorado Mesa University A smaller number of students attend the Hill School than most other boarding schools that I know of. This allows a more personal approach to be taken by the teachers and dorm parents, the. . .
- Pepperdine University The two aspects of The Hill School that make it unique are the professors' relationship with the students and the traditions at The Hill. First off, professors are involved in all aspects of school life. . .
- College of William and Mary (B.A., MBA) It's been 50 years but the school has developed a partnership with the town of Pottstown which is unique across the country. Several alumni (in my class of '67, including the Governor of Pennsylvania). . .
- Johns Hopkins University Student body is comprised of motivated individuals from a diverse background. A high ratio of advanced degree masters to students. Well endowed with a very active alumni involvement. A dynamic Headmaster. . .
- NYU The Hill was not only crucial to my education as a student, it also afforded the pleasure of learning how to be a gentleman. While I retain my "book knowledge" to a great degree, my. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|Hill School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||6-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||300 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||523 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1885||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1680 - 2080||-|
|Average ACT score||26||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Bi-Monthly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:7||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||27||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$153 million||$17 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$34,500||$22,730|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 31 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||80%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Tom Eccleston|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Amanda Dougherty|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||17||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Water Polo, Winter Track, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||48||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Action AIDS, Archaelogy Club, Asian Culture Club, Barbecue Club, Chapel, Chess Club, Community Service Club, Ellis Theater Guild, Fine Woodworking Club, Fly Fishing Club, Food Club, French Club, Games Club, Habitat for Humanity, Hill Athletic Association, Honor, International Culture Exchange, Math & Computer Club, Model United Nations, Operation Smile, PDS Teaching Assistants, Peer Counseling Group, Pep Band, RAM Radio, Reception Committee, Recycling Club, Sailing Club, Skateboarding Club, Ski Club, Spanish Club, Speech & Debate Club, Stock Exchange Club, Student Activites Committee, Student Government Association, Student Prefects, Tech Support Group, The Dial (yearbook), The Hill News (newspaper), The Record (literary journal), Young Democrats, Young Republicans
Arts and Music Programs:
Chamber, Glee Club, Guitar Club, Hilltone Trebles, Hilltones, Jazz Club, Rock Band
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Founded in 1851, The Hill School is a purposefully small and close learning community -- a place where our academic excellence is based upon a challenging liberal arts curriculum, a faculty of highly qualified, dedicated teachers; a noteworthy breadth of advanced and honors course offerings; and a structured atmosphere that blends high expectations with meaningful support. Headmaster Zachary G. Lehman is passionate about seeing Hill described as "both the most traditional and the most innovative secondary school in the country simultaneously." To that end, The Hill School complements its traditions with an energetic level of innovation. The School is evaluating and implementing educational technologies that allow its students to access, synthesize, and apply knowledge in new ways: quickly, collaboratively, and creatively. Over the coming years, The Hill will affirm what it already does very well while considering new curricular and co-curricular programs, finding improved ways to teach all Hill students 21st century success skills such as critical thinking and problem solving, collaboration and leading, agility and adaptability, initiative and entrepreneurship, effective oral and written communication, accessing and analyzing data, and curiosity and imagination.
- LD types supported: we support students with mild learning differences
- School accreditations: Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- James Baker III '48 - Former Secretary of State
- Norman Pearlstine '60 - Editor-in-chief of Time, Inc
- Tobias Wolff '64 - Stanford University professor and critically acclaimed author of Old School
- Oliver Stone '64 - Academy Award-winning producer/director
- Peter S. Rummell '63 - Chairman and CEO of the Florida real estate and development firm the St. Joe Co.
- Clark Hoyt '60 - Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist and Washington editor of Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services
- Lamar Hunt '51 - Businessman, owner and founder of the Kansas City Chiefs and a creator of the American Football League
- Submit Review for Hill School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
February 19, 2018
The essence of a private school education is that strong partnership forged between school, parent and child.
February 19, 2018
As amazing as it sounds, corporal punishment is still legal in over 20 states. Fortunately private schools banned the practice many decades ago.
January 12, 2018