Hill School Photo #2 - The Hill School sets a high standard for students in their dress and appearance to express pride in themselves and their respect for one another. Academic Dress is worn throughout the academic day whenever students are in an academic or public area, chapel services, sit-down meals, required evening performance, or any other designated occasion.
Hill School Photo #3 - All students are required to attend sit-down family-style meals together in the Dining Room for lunch, and boarding students attend seated dinners several nights a week. Faculty members and their families join the students in a relaxed, yet formal atmosphere, where they enjoy interaction with one another outside of the classroom.
Hill School Photo #4 - Boarding students reside on campus in one of six dormitory complexes. Faculty members and their families live in apartments in each dorm.
Hill School Photo #5 - Headmaster Zachary G. Lehman is passionate about seeing Hill described as "both the most traditional and the most innovative secondary school in the country ?? simultaneously." To that end, The Hill School complements its traditions with an energetic level of innovation
- Founded in 1851, The Hill School is a purposefully small and close learning community - a place where our academic excellence is based upon a challenging liberal arts curriculum; a faculty of highly qualified, dedicated teachers; a noteworthy breadth of advanced and honors course offerings; and a structured atmosphere that blends high expectations with meaningful support.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Colorado Mesa University A smaller number of students attend the Hill School than most other boarding schools that I know of. This allows a more personal approach to be taken by the teachers and dorm parents, the. . .
- Pepperdine University The two aspects of The Hill School that make it unique are the professors' relationship with the students and the traditions at The Hill. First off, professors are involved in all aspects of school life. . .
- College of William and Mary (B.A., MBA) It's been 50 years but the school has developed a partnership with the town of Pottstown which is unique across the country. Several alumni (in my class of '67, including the Governor of Pennsylvania). . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|Hill School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||300 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||525 students||320 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1340||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||26||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:7||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||27||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$153 million||$20 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$34,500||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 31 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||80%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Tom Eccleston|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Amanda Dougherty|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||17||16|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Water Polo, Winter Track, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||48||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Action AIDS, Archaelogy Club, Asian Culture Club, Barbecue Club, Cadmean Concordian Society, Career Awareness Program Committee, Chapel, Chapel Wardens, Chinese Society, Classic Film Society, Committe for Conservation Education, Conroy Committee for Distinguished Visitors, CORE (Christ Our Rock Eternal), Deli Line (coed a cappella singing group), Dramatics Society, Eco-Action, Economics Society, FunkDeFied, Guitar Club, Heads of House Committee, Health and Wellness Committee, Horae Scholasticae (student literary and art magazine), Independent Study Program Committee, Interfaith Chapel Council, International Programs Committee, Jazz Ensemble, John Enders Science Club, La Junta, Lectors Guild, Library Association, Madrigal Singers, Mathematics Society, MOSAIC-Modelling Ongoing Student Action (for an) Inclusive Community, Student Government Association, Student Prefects, Tech Support Group, The Dial (yearbook), The Hill News (newspaper), The Record (literary journal), Young Democrats, Young Republicans
Arts and Music Programs:
Chamber, Community Outreach Program Committee, Japanese Society, John Winant Society, Keiser Music Guild, Le Cercle Francais, MUN
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Founded in 1851, The Hill School is a purposefully small and close learning community -- a place where our academic excellence is based upon a challenging liberal arts curriculum, a faculty of highly qualified, dedicated teachers; a noteworthy breadth of advanced and honors course offerings; and a structured atmosphere that blends high expectations with meaningful support. Headmaster Zachary G. Lehman is passionate about seeing Hill described as "both the most traditional and the most innovative secondary school in the country simultaneously." To that end, The Hill School complements its traditions with an energetic level of innovation. The School is evaluating and implementing educational technologies that allow its students to access, synthesize, and apply knowledge in new ways: quickly, collaboratively, and creatively. Over the coming years, The Hill will affirm what it already does very well while considering new curricular and co-curricular programs, finding improved ways to teach all Hill students 21st century success skills such as critical thinking and problem solving, collaboration and leading, agility and adaptability, initiative and entrepreneurship, effective oral and written communication, accessing and analyzing data, and curiosity and imagination.
- LD types supported: we support students with mild learning differences
- Hill School accreditations: Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- James Baker III '48 - Former Secretary of State
- Norman Pearlstine '60 - Editor-in-chief of Time, Inc
- Tobias Wolff '64 - Stanford University professor and critically acclaimed author of Old School
- Oliver Stone '64 - Academy Award-winning producer/director
- Peter S. Rummell '63 - Chairman and CEO of the Florida real estate and development firm the St. Joe Co.
- Clark Hoyt '60 - Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist and Washington editor of Knight Ridder/Tribune Information Services
- Lamar Hunt '51 - Businessman, owner and founder of the Kansas City Chiefs and a creator of the American Football League
- Submit Review for Hill School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Four reasons shaped our decision. I share these and other insights with you.
Does your son or daughter ride? Are you thinking about finding a private school which will suit both your academic requirements and your child's penchant for riding? Let's look at a couple of schools with riding programs.
What are you allowed to bring to boarding school? What are you not allowed to bring to boarding school? Answers to those questions and more.