North Cedar Academy
North Cedar Academy Photo #2 - Here you can see our quiet, 96 acre campus. This city is nestled in the beautiful Ladysmith, Wisconsin. We have the best of both worlds - nature and community!
North Cedar Academy Photo #3 - These are the dorm rooms at NCA. We always pair up new students with someone from another country! We are a family here at NCA. Getting to know one another is easy and fun.
North Cedar Academy Photo #4 - Our students are creative and outgoing. This picture is from a concert our students preformed for the community.
North Cedar Academy Photo #5 - Outdoor education begins here, at North Cedar Academy! Our outdoor education program puts your students into a treasure chest of new skills. Including but not limited to: Wilderness first aid, Leave No Trace Principles, Shelter building, Skiing, Hiking, Snowshoeing, Fishing, Plant Identification and much more!
North Cedar Academy Photo #6 - Our expert Social Studies, Government, and History teacher. Students learn American History as well as current events happening around the world.
North Cedar Academy Photo #7 - Welcome to our art studio. We are truly blessed to have a former University of Wisconsin Professor and current, active artist to teach our Drawing, Painting and other art classes at North Cedar Academy!
North Cedar Academy Photo #8 - Our students are able to access many scenic parks and natural landscapes through our Ladysmith and the surrounding areas.
- North Cedar Academy is a private domestic and international boarding school of approximately 70 students from both the U.S. and more than 13 countries worldwide.
- Through the unique partnership between North Cedar Academy and the University of Wisconsin - Eau Claire, students who attend NCA are offered a truly exceptional educational opportunity.
- Qualified students are involved in a one-of-a-kind program that offers the opportunity to earn our NCA high school diploma as well as an UWEC Associate`s Degree at the same time!
- This program puts high achieving students on a pathway to success by completing their first two years of university during high school.
- Small class sizes and a multitude of scheduling options allow students to gain educational, personal, and career awareness skills.
- Students benefit from a multi-national and multi-cultural community of students, adults, and NCA partners around the world.
- Working together, North Cedar Academy students and teachers create an academic and social environment where everyone learns from and respects one another.
- We are an SAT official testing center. NCA is about reaching your potential, and helping others reach theirs.
- NCA is located in the city of Ladysmith in Rusk County, Wisconsin.
- Rusk County is a beautifully forested region where waterfalls are hidden in the woods, trails to hike are everywhere and wildlife surrounds.
- Ladysmith is the hub of Rusk County, home to numerous city-parks, playing fields, and downtown shops for tourists as well as residents.
- Due to the school's close relationship with the community, our students have a variety of volunteer and service opportunities at the Animal Shelter, Gardens, the Senior Home and more.
- To North Cedar Academy, safety is key, we have an integrated security system on campus and maintain strong communication with the local authorities.
- We are located less than half a mile from the main city hospital and other emergency services are less than two miles from campus.
- Rusk County is proud to be one of the friendliest and safest towns in Wisconsin as well as the nation.
- In addition, we adhere to strict safety standards regarding student activities, building safety measures, and verification of all outside visitors before they enter the premises.
- All teachers and administration go through background checks. We build and strive to have a safe and academic community here at North Cedar Academy!
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Occidental College North Cedar Academy prides itself on the dual enrollment program, which allows students to obtain their Associates of Arts & Sciences degrees upon their high school graduation. This is certainly a unique opportunity, but what. . .
- UW Eau Claire-Barron County North Cedar Academy dual enrollment with UW Eau Claire-Barron County that had gotten further my education path and made me ready for University. North Cedar Academy give me incredible opportunities in terms of volunteer work. . .
- University of Wisconsin North Cedar Academy gave me an opportunity to improve my English very well and meet new friends from all over the world. I am enjoying to be here. Also, North Cedar Academy gives you an. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|North Cedar Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||96 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||70 students||310 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1150||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1015 - 1580||-|
|Average ACT score||23||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||10 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||3||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$5,080|
(Up to 4 sessions of classes and fun. Contact us for further information.Session 1: June 16 – June 29, 2019 Session 2: July 3 – July 16, 2019 Session 3: July 20 – August 3, 2019 Session 4: August 4 – August 11, 2019(2 week minimum) 1st Session: $3,200 Additional Sessions: $2,880)
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
(Grades 9 and 10-Board:$19,200 Tuition:$28,800)
(Grades 9 and 10 Day Tuition: $33,100 per year Grades 11 and 12 Day Tuition: $28,800 per year)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$25,000|
(Merit & Need-Based)
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Donald W. Smith|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Jeremy Pagel|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||3||18|
|Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus, AP Statistics|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||7||16|
|Sports||Basketball, Bowling, Kayaking, Soccer, Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||42||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Book Club, Cheerleaders, Chess Club, Chinese Club, Cooking Club, Game Design, Gardening Club, Martial Arts Club, Movie Critique, Music Club, Outdoor Club, Photography Club, Programming Club, SAT/ACT Prep, Science Club, Spanish Club, Student Advisory Committee, Student Council, Teen Leadership Academy, TOEFL Test Prep, Website Design
Arts and Music Programs:
Beginning Band, Concert Band, Concert Choir, Piano, Theatre, World Music
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Badminton, Basketball, Cross Country Skiing, Down Hill Skiing, Hiking, Indoor Soccer, Kayaking, Mountain Biking, Snowboarding, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Weightlifting, Wellness, Yoga
- The North Cedar Principle: As a student in today`s competitive and connected world, you achieve the success for which you were destined by embracing the next level, by accelerating your education, by becoming a conscientious citizen and leader of the world. The inherent opportunities at North Cedar Academy empower you to reach inside and discover your potential.
- The North Cedar Academy Blugold Guaranteed Transfer Program: You save valuable time and money by taking advantage of NCA`s exclusive university pathway program. Grades 9 and 10 are formative years where you adjust to campus life, make friends, join clubs, explore the region and develop study routines. Here you begin a personal development journey that includes arts, humanities, lifetime sports and service to the community. Students in grades 11 and 12 are co-enrolled in University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire-Barron County and can earn as many as 60 college credits and an Associate of Arts & Sciences degree. You will receive a transcript from UWeC for credits earned, which are transferable to other colleges and universities. Earning a minimum of 54 credits grants you guaranteed transfer into any University of Wisconsin school.
- Living Where You Learn: The residence hall is more than just the place where you study and sleep. It`s your home away from home, a place to hang out with your roommate, play table tennis or video games, watch television, sit around the bonfire, make new friends. The NCA residence hall is a uniquely designed five-story building overlooking the Flambeau River. It`s fully supervised - with a resident director`s apartment and office on the main level and resident assistants living on each floor - yet offers the independence you need to live your life. Special spaces include a kitchenette, computer lab, a quiet study room, and laundry facilities. All meals are served in the dining hall in the education center just a short walk up the hill.
- Preparing You For Success: At North Cedar, you live a life of scholarship, enrichment, service, and yes, fun. You live among friends, learning the value of personal achievement, of group dynamics, of service to others, and of the wonderful benefits of expanding your boundaries and trying new things. As a graduate, you will move on to greater challenges with the necessary skills sets to take on your future with confidence.
- North Cedar Academy accreditations: National Private School Accreditation Group (NPSAG)
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for North Cedar Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12 | 110 students 1617.2 miles41 W Santa Clara St.
Arcadia, CA 91007
- Grades: 6-12 | 50 students 140 miles315 South Grove Avenue
Owatonna, MN 55060
Several things make boarding school special. The learning, the community, the sports. All these and more.
A private school in its infancy is quite different from the mature community it becomes over time. I wonder what the founders of these five schools would think about them today. I bet they would be very proud of their creations.
Sending our children off to boarding school in the fall of 2020 raises questions about their safety and other corona virus issues. We address some of your concerns here.