North Cedar Academy
- North Cedar Academy is a private domestic and international boarding school of approximately 100 students from both the U.S. and more than 10 countries worldwide.
- Through the unique partnership between North Cedar Academy and the University of Wisconsin Colleges, students who attend are offered a truly exceptional educational opportunity.
- Qualified students are involved in a one-of-a-kind program that offers the opportunity to earn our NCA high school diploma as well as an UW Associate`s Degree concurrently.
- This program puts high achieving students on a pathway to success by completing their first two years of university during high school.
- Small class sizes and a multitude of scheduling options allow students to gain educational, personal, and career awareness skills.
- Students benefit from a multi-national and multi-cultural community of students, adults, and NCA partners around the world.
- Working together, North Cedar Academy students and teachers create an academic and social environment where everyone learns from and respects one another.
- NCA is about reaching your potential, and helping others reach theirs.
- NCA is located in the city of Ladysmith in Rusk County, Wisconsin.
- Rusk County is a beautifully forested region where waterfalls are hidden in the woods and wildlife inhabits the area.
- Ladysmith is the hub of Rusk County, home to numerous parks, playing fields, and downtown shopping.
- Due to the school's close relationship with the community, our students have a variety of volunteer and service opportunities.
- To North Cedar Academy, safety is key. We are located less than a mile from the hospital and other emergency services are less than two miles from campus.
- Rusk County is proud to be one of the friendliest and safest towns in Wisconsin as well as the nation.
- In addition, we adhere to strict safety standards regarding student activities, building safety measures, and verification of all outside visitors.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- University of Wisconsin North Cedar Academy gave me an opportunity to improve my English very well and meet new friends from all over the world. I am enjoying to be here. Also, North Cedar Academy gives you an. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|North Cedar Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||96 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||70 students||310 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1015 - 1260||-|
|Average ACT score||23||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||10 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:7||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||330||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
(Grades 9-10: 45,000. Grades 11-12: 49,800)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||25000||$23,500|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Samantha Kammers|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||14||15|
|Sports||Badminton, Basketball, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Freestyle Skiing, Indoor Soccer, Kayaking, Snowboarding, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||34||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Book Club, Cooking Club, Craft Club, Game Design, Knitting Club, Movie Critique, Outdoor Club, Photography Club, Programming Club, SAT/ACT/Math Prep, Science Club, Spanish Club, Student Advisory Committee, Student Council, Teen Leadership Academy, TOEFL Test Prep
Arts and Music Programs:
Beginning Band, Concert Band, Concert Choir, Piano, The Beat, Theatre, World Music
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Badminton, Cross Country Skiing, Down Hill Skiing, Hiking, Indoor Soccer, Kayaking, Mountain Biking, Snowboarding, Swimming, Tennis, Wellness
- The North Cedar Principle: As a student in today`s competitive and connected world, you achieve the success for which you were destined by embracing the next level, by accelerating your education, by becoming a conscientious citizen and leader of the world. The inherent opportunities at North Cedar Academy empower you to reach inside and discover your potential.
- The North Cedar Academy Early University Pathway: You save valuable time and money by taking advantage of NCA`s exclusive university pathway program. Grades 9 and 10 are formative years where you adjust to campus life, make friends, join clubs, explore the region and develop study routines. Here you begin a personal development journey that includes arts, humanities, lifetime sports and service to the community. Students in grades 11 and 12 are co-enrolled in University of Wisconsin Colleges and can earn as many as 60 college credits and an Associate of Arts & Sciences degree. You will receive a transcript from UWC for credits earned, which are transferable to other colleges and universities. Earning a minimum of 54 credits grants you guaranteed admission into any University of Wisconsin school - including the 26th ranked UW-Madison.
- Guaranteed admission to UW-Madison - ranked as the world`s 26th best university: UW-Madison is a nationally and internationally recognized research university, ranked 11th in the nationamong public universities and 26th internationally. Founded in 1848, and boasting an astounding legacy of discovery, UW-Madison`s alumni or faculty have been awarded 19 Nobel Prizes and 33 Pulitzer Prizes. As a co-enrolled NCA/UWC student, you can participate in the UW System`s established Guaranteed Transfer Program, which provides a pathway of guaranteed admission to this incredible world-class learning experience. As a proud partner of UWC, North Cedar Academy is the only high school in the state that provides this opportunity.
- Living Where You Learn: The residence hall is more than just the place where you study and sleep. It`s your home away from home, a place to hang out with your roommate, play table tennis or video games, watch television, sit around the bonfire, make new friends. The NCA residence hall is a uniquely designed five-story building overlooking the Flambeau River. It`s fully supervised - with a resident director`s apartment and office on the main level and resident assistants living on each floor - yet offers the independence you need to live your life. Special spaces include a kitchenette, computer lab, a quiet study room, and laundry facilities. All meals are served in the dining hall in the education center just a short walk up the hill.
- Preparing You For Success: At North Cedar, you live a life of scholarship, enrichment, service, and yes, fun. You live among friends, learning the value of personal achievement, of group dynamics, of service to others, and of the wonderful benefits of expanding your boundaries and trying new things. As a graduate, you will move on to greater challenges with the necessary skills sets to take on your future with confidence.
- North Cedar Academy accreditations: National Private School Accreditation Group (NPSAG)
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for North Cedar Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 6-12 | 50 students 140 miles315 South Grove Avenue
Owatonna, MN 55060
- Grades: 9-12 | 110 students 1619.8 miles1539 E. Howard St.
Pasadena, CA 91104
No shortcuts exist to filling the seats in your private school. It requires savvy, effective marketing. More here.
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.
What makes some schools really better than others? What makes them the best schools?