Solebury School's Math and Science (STEM) program offers students opportunities to pursue AP and Honors classes, as well as Engineering courses that will prepare them for college.
Solebury School's music program includes a chorus, rock band, and instrumental and jazz ensembles. A block of time is carved out of the school schedule each day for students to pursue their music interests.
Solebury School is a member of the Penn-Jersey League and competes against private, public, and parochial schools in the area. Solebury fields 13 interscholastic varsity teams. In addition to team sports, Solebury offers a variety of physical activities after school that help students develop healthy, lifelong habits, skills and interests.
- Solebury School`s mission is to create an environment of educational excellence that prepares students for success in college and beyond.
- In the Solebury community, we strongly value academic and intellectual challenge, creative and independent thinking, mutual respect between students and teachers, and deep respect for each individual.
- Honors and AP courses, electives in the sciences and humanities, and strong art, theater, sports and community service programs encourage our students to develop all their skills and talents.
- Solebury's curriculum is highlighted by an academic theme, giving teachers and students` common experiences to work on and promoting interdisciplinary learning.
- We seek to enroll students who are academically successful, passionate, curious, and engaged about learning.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Loyola University Maryland Solebury was one of the best things to happen to me. The education I received, the friendships I made, the relationships with many of my teachers are still in place today. I'll never forget my. . .
- Portland State University, The George Washington University Solebury makes sure to keep all class sizes very small, which was new to me as a former public school student. All students address teachers by their first names, which really emphasizes the mutual respect. . .
- University of Delaware Solebury has a mandatory yet very manageable volunteer requirements. When I was a student, it was 5 hours a year for middle schoolers and 10 hours a year for high schoolers. I was part of. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|Solebury School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||9-12||9-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||7-12||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||90 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||235 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1711||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1900 - 1490||-|
|Average ACT score||25||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||10 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||10||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$6 million||$17 million|
(Learning Skills $14750, ESL $12950 )
(29900 for 7 and 8th grade Middle School Day )
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$16,855||$22,410|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15 / Feb. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Scott Eckstein|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Meg Perry|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||10||16|
|Courses||American Studies (AP US History), American Studies (Honors American Literature), AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP English Literature, AP Environmental Science, AP French Language, AP Spanish Language, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art, AP US Government and Politics, Ethics (Honors), French IV (Honors), History Thesis (Honors), Honors Algebra IA, Honors Algebra II & Trigonometry, Honors Biology, Honors Chemistry, Honors Geometry, Honors Physics, Honors Pre-Calculus, Spanish IV (Honors)|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||14||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Field Hockey, Golf, Lacrosse, Rock Climbing, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||23||23|
|Extracurriculars||African-American Affinity Group, Astronomy Club, Coffee House, Conversation Club, Current Events, Diversity Club, Environment Club, Hispanic Affinity Group, Horseback Riding, Literary Magazine, Newspaper, Peer Leaders, Politics, Ski Club, Spectrum (GSA), Student Council, Theater Performance and Theater Tech, Video Club, Walking Club, Weight Training, World Languages Society, Yearbook, Yoga|
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Founded in 1925, by 4 teachers whose shared vision was to create an environment that would foster good learning relationships, in which there would be a close connection between teachers and students, in which there would be a respectful exchange of opinions and ideas, and in which the student would be well prepared for both college and their real-world responsibilities and pursuits.
- Coeducational, 230 students, diverse student body, students come to Solebury from the surrounding area and from as many as eight states and seven foreign countries.
- Honors and AP Courses offered in every discipline. About 100 electives offered as well as opportunity for independent study.
- Talented and Dedicated Faculty. There are 46 teachers, 23 of whom hold advanced degrees. Twenty-seven faculty members and administrators reside on campus.
- Curriculum is highlighted each year by an academic theme intended to give teachers and students common experiences and to promote interdisciplinary learning.
- Location: 65 miles from New York City and 35 miles from Philadelphia
- Merit Scholarships & Need-based aid available
- Opened in 2007 the John D. Brown Athletic Center includes the gymnasium, fitness center, weight training room, wrestling/dance/aerobics room, men's home & visiting team locker rooms, women's home & visiting team locker rooms, Athletic Director's office, lobby & showcase area, kitchen for events and snack sales
- Renovations to the performing arts center and student center are currently in progress.
- English as a Second Language Programs: Full year and Summer Programs to help students develop their speaking, listening, reading, and writing skills.
- Learning Skills Program for students who possess average to above-average intelligence and need to strengthen their reading, writing, and language-related skills. Classes use multi-sensory Orton and Wilson models to teach phonological processing.
- LD types supported: Dyslexia/Language-based or Mild Learning Differences
- School accreditations: Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
- Submit Review for Solebury School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
September 28, 2017
Use a spreadsheet to develop your initial list of schools. Here's how.
September 28, 2017
Finding the right boarding school for your child is one of the most important and expensive decisions you will ever make.
September 05, 2017
Generous financial aid and a commitment to diversity are hallmarks of the 21st century release of St. Grottlesex. More here.