Squaw Valley Academy
235 Squaw Valley Road | P.O. Box 2667
Olympic Valley, CA 96146
Olympic Valley, CA 96146
Squaw Valley Academy Photo #2 - Lake Tahoe is a premier world-renown resort destination year-round. The blue skies, clear water, dense forests, and deep snow make it a haven for for everyone - from outdoor enthusiasts to authors and explorers.
Squaw Valley Academy Photo #3 - With good grades and behavior, students can ski or snowboard EVERYDAY of the week at the world-class Squaw Valley Resort. Squaw Valley Resort is located .5 miles away from the Academy.
Squaw Valley Academy Photo #4 - Our small class sizes, averaging 8 students, allow teachers to provide increased individual instruction.
Squaw Valley Academy Photo #5 - Many students enjoy music instruction in the SVA Music Room, adjacent to the Art Studio.
Squaw Valley Academy Photo #6 - Students may take full advantage of the SVA Art Studio. The Art Studio offers resources for drawing/sketching, painting, photography, and ceramics.
Squaw Valley Academy Photo #7 - Students reside in one of three dormitories on campus. The new dormitory uses south-facing solar panels to take full advantage of the average 300 days of sunshine to reduce our environmental footprint.
- Squaw Valley Academy is private, international, college-preparatory boarding school located at Lake Tahoe, California.
- We enroll students who are between 14 and 18 years of age in high school.
- All graduates receive a U.S. high school diploma, and we have 100% acceptance to U.S. universities and colleges.
- Students may attend for grades 9-12, or short-term for one semester, one academic year, or summer school.
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
Squaw Valley Academy is listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 332 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|Squaw Valley Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||3 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||100 students||313 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1380||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||25||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Solid colored shirt with collar.)
|Average Class Size||8 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:8||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||16||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Adrienne Forbes|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||16||17|
|Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP English Language & Composition, AP English Literature and Composition, AP Macroeconomics, AP Microeconomics, AP Psychology, AP Spanish Language and Culture, AP Studio Art, AP U. S. History, AP U.S. Government and Politics, AP World History, Physics B, Psychology|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||18||15|
|Sports||Badminton, Basketball, Bowling, Climbing, Cross Country, Cycling, Freestyle Skiing, Golf, Ice Hockey, Kayaking, Mountain Biking, Rock Climbing, Snowboarding, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||38||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Chess Club, Community Service Club, National Honor Society, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Aqua Aerobics, Ceramics Club, Jazz Club, Music Instruction
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Alpine Skiing & Snowboarding, Backpacking Club, Badminton Club, Basketball Club, Cadets, Camping Club, Chapel Praise team, Ice Hockey, Ice Skating, Inscape Magazine, Jewelry Design, Junior Engineering Technical Society (JETS) Club, Kayaking, Middle School Science Club, Mountain Biking, Nordic Skiing, Permaculture Club, Prefect Leadership Program, Sea Kayaking, Sparhawk Ambassadors, Sparhawk Spotlights (Theatre), Sustainable Farming Club, Swimming, Tennis, The Belles - Student Newspaper, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Weightlifting, Yoga, Zoo Squad
|Year: 2016||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|San Francisco State University||2|
|Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University||1|
|University of California Davis||1|
|University of Central Florida||1|
|University of Pittsburgh||1|
|University of San Francisco||1|
|Universtiy of California Berkeley||1|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Squaw Valley Academy (SVA) is an international coeducational college-prep boarding school. It was founded in 1978 to offer project-based learning, outdoor education, and sports opportunities in the scenic California High Sierra. SVA offers strong preparation for college as its central focus and many outdoor sports and activities as a catalyst for personal growth and achievement. SVA maintains a 100% college acceptance rate for its graduates.
- SVA Mission: We challenge with rigorous academics; we support with consistent behavioral standards; we train in life-long sports; we provide outdoor adventure; and we foster self-esteem through real accomplishment.
- Located 200 miles east of San Francisco and 45 miles west of Reno, SVA sits at the foot of Squaw Valley ski area, site of the 1960 Winter Olympics. At an elevation of 6,200 feet in a superb Alpine setting, SVA offers easy access to Lake Tahoe and nearby forests, meadows, lakes, and rivers. Squaw Valley Academy is in the small residential community of Olympic Valley, with commercial centers easily accessible 5 miles south in Tahoe City and 10 miles north in historic Truckee.
- The typical Squaw Valley Academy student is highly capable and may need the support provided by small class size and evening study halls. She or he may have an interest in pursuing winter sports at a recreational or competitive level.
- Squaw Valley Academy is fully accredited by the Western Association of School and Colleges.
- Squaw Valley Academy has been a fixture in Olympic Valley nearly 40 years. Olympic skiers, corporate executives, world-class snowboarders, Air Force pilots, and countless college graduates began their roads to success with the opportunities that SVA provides.
- LD types supported: Mild Learning Differences
- Squaw Valley Academy accreditations: Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC); National Independent Private School Association (NIPSA); AdvancED
- Submit Review for Squaw Valley Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 8-12| 249 students 314.7 milesP.O. Box 98, 2555 W. Highway 154
Los Olivos, CA 93441
- Grades: 6-12, PG | 144 students 370 miles2800 Monterey Road
San Marino, CA 91108
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.
Here then are a dozen boarding schools which charge approximately $20,000 per year or less for tuition, room and board.
You and I have experienced all kinds of travel glitches. Discuss your child's upcoming travel plans thoroughly so that your child will be safe and in charge of her travel. The result will be peace of mind for you both.