St. Mark's School
St. Mark's School educates young people for lives of leadership and service.
Founded in 1865 as an intentionally small residential community, the School challenges its students to develop their particular analytic and creative capabilities by both inspiring their academic and spiritual curiosity and kindling their passion for discovery.
We value collaboration over self-interest, and we encourage each person to explore his or her place in the larger world beyond our campus.
- IV Former Receives Reliant "Community Hero Award" - 11/05/2020 - Anika Sukthankar, a IV Form day student from Shrewsbury, Massachusetts, was the recipient of a "Community Hero Award" from Reliant Medical Group. Sukthankar was recognized for her efforts in ...moreraising money locally to provide lunch to staff working in Reliant's COVID-testing tent sites across four locations this summer. hide
- Alumna making a difference in Kenya - 11/05/2020 - The Leo Project is making a difference in the lives of Kenya natives through the work of former St. Marker Jess Danforth '02. The Leo Project is a nonprofit ...moreprogram providing educational and medical resources in Kenya. This idea and follow-through stems from the values Jess learned at St. Mark's and serves to honor her best friend and fellow St. Marker Caitlin O'Hara '01 who died at the age of 33 of complications from cystic fibrosis. hide
- NHL, Yale Come Calling for SM Hockey Players - 11/05/2020 - Hockey tradition at SM continues... In the most recent National Hockey League draft, Ian Moore, co-captain of the 2019-2020 Lions, was selected in the third round by the Anaheim ...moreDucks, while Sean Farrell, who played for St. Mark's in 2016-2017, was picked in the fourth round by the Montreal Canadiens. In addition, Tucker Hartmann '20 another captain of Coach Corazzini's record-setting 2020 team, has joined the long line of college and university-level hockey players from St. Mark's by committing to play at Yale. hide
- Brantwood Camp and St. Mark's: A Century of Collaboration - 11/05/2020 - Today, St. Mark's proudly asserts in its mission statement that it "educates young people for lives of leadership and service." It was in 1920 that St. Mark's introduced its very ...morefirst formal program of community service and outside leadership opportunity, when it began a collaborative relationship with Brantwood Camp in Peterborough, New Hampshire. hide
- St. Mark's Earns Special Olympics National Honor - 11/05/2020 - Special Olympics Massachusetts announced this month that St. Mark's has earned National Banner recognition for its efforts to provide inclusive sports and activities for students with and without disabilities. St. ...moreMark's has been active in facilitating and hosting Special Olympics events on campus for the better part of two decades, and is currently recognized as a Special Olympics Unified Champion School. hide
- Standing Up, Speaking Out: St. Mark's and St. Markers Respond - 10/05/2020 - St. Markers around the country (including current students and alumni of all ages) have been responding to current events: speaking out and standing up to make a difference in these ...morechallenging times. hide
- ...read more
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Phillips Andover (Post Graduate) The school's layout makes for quite a unique and homey atmosphere. All classes are located in the main building, and the building itself is centered around Forbes, the student center. The main building also houses. . .
- Bates College St. Mark's is extremely community based, and I believe it has made both students and faculty proud to be a member of this school. Because a majority of the school functions within one or two. . .
- Franklin and Marshall College I felt that the teacher-student connection at St. Mark's was something unique, and something I did not realize how unique it was until I graduated. As opposed to college, I felt it was easier and. . .
All Schools Similar Size Schools
St. Mark's School ranks among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 305 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|St. Mark's School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||250 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||370 students||302 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Classroom and chapel dress codes)
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||26||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$141 million||$24 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$56,000||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||76%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Anne E. Behnke|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Elise Morgan|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||26||18|
|Courses||Advanced AB Calculus, Advanced Art History, Advanced BC Calculus, Advanced Biology, Advanced Ceramics, Advanced Chemistry, Advanced Environmental Science, Advanced European History, Advanced French Language and Culture, Advanced German Language and Culture, Advanced Latin Readings, Advanced Music Theory, Advanced Philosophy and Literature, Advanced Physics: Electricity and Magnetism, Advanced Physics: Mechanics, Advanced Physics: Modern Topics in Physics, Advanced Psychology, Advanced Spanish Language and Cultures, Advanced Statistics, Advanced Studio Art, Advanced Topics in Computer Science, Advanced Topics in French Literature, Advanced Topics in German Literature, Advanced Topics in Latin Literature, Advanced Topics in Mathematics, Advanced Topics in Music, Advanced Topics in Spanish Literature, Advanced United States Government and Politics, Advanced United States History, Advanced World History, History Research Fellowship: An Advanced Topics Course in History, STEM Research Fellowship: An Advanced Topics Course in Science|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||14||16|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Tennis, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||67||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Academic Peer Tutors, Acolytes, Admission Prefects, Admission Tour Guides, After-School Tutoring, Alpine Snowboarding, Alumni Ambassador, Amnesty International Club, Animal Rights Club, Band/Jazz Groups, Black Student Union, BMX Biking, Boys, Brantwood Camp, Calligraphy Club, Chinese Students Association, Christian Students - God Squad, Classics Club, Climate Action Group, D.O.P.E. Sports Club, Debate Club, Diners Club, Electronics Club, Field Sports, Freestyle Skiing, French Club, Gaming, German Club, Girls, Green Team, Honor, House (Dorm) Prefects, Iaido, International Club, Investment Club, IT Club, Jewelry Design, Kayaking / Sea Kayaking, Literary Magazine, Mozaic, Medical Club, Middle Eastern Alliance for Peace, MMA, Opinator--student newspaper, Political and Current Events (PACE), Protection of Animals and Wildlife (PAW), Right Rwanda, River Rafting, Sexual Minorities and Straight Supporters (SMASS), Students for Students, Teach Choate, Teach Music, Tiger Lilies
Arts and Music Programs:
Actor's Guild, Choir, Dance Club, Engineering Club, Freestyle Snowboarding, Handball, Jazz Club
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Badminton Club, Book & Pen Group, Dry-land Training, Fishing Club, Music Instruction, Pep and Marching Band, Theater Dance & Music
|Year: 2006 - 2012||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|George Washington University||15|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Founded in 1865, St. Mark's School educates young people for lives of leadership and service, challenging students to take charge of their education, inspiring their academic and spiritual curiosity, and kindling their passion for discovery.
- We have crafted an intentionally small community with the specific goal of encouraging close relationships between faculty and students that gives our students courage to stretch, to dream big, and think beyond themselves.Innovation and tradition are part of our educational DNA.
- The "school under one roof" design of our main building, an outstanding academic program that combines traditional classroom techniques with experiential learning, a culture that stresses social justice and global perspective, and an athletic program designed to challenge both college-bound athletes and those seeking fitness alone, all come together to create a robust environment unique to St. Mark`s. Graduates leave St. Mark`s ready to live lives of consequence in the 21st century.
- St. Mark's School accreditations: NEASC
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Ben Bradlee - Former editor, The Washington Post
- Tarah Donoghue - Former Deputy Press Secretary to Laura Bush, First Lady of the United States from May 2006 to August 2007; worked for former Vice President Dick Cheney
- Thomas Kean - Former New Jersey governor; former chairman of the 9/11 Commission; former president of Drew University
- Julie Kennedy - Founder and leader of AMERICA SCORES; President of the Mycelium Group
- Suzanne P. King - US Olympic cross country skier, 1994 and 1998 Olympic games
- Robert Lowell - Former sixth Poet Laureate Consultant in Poetry to the Library of Congress; Pulitzer Prize recipient; National Book Award recipient; National Book Critics Circle Award recipient
- Ashley Merriman - Premier Chef at Branzino in Seattle, WA; former contestant on Top Chef Season 6
- Storey Musgrave - Astronaut
- Georgia Chaffee Nassikas - Artist
- Scott Young - Retired American professional ice hockey right winger; First round draft pick, 11th overall in 1986 by Hartford Whalers; played on the U.S. National Team; played on three Winter Olympic teams 1988, 1992, and 2002; won 2 Stanley Cups in 1991 and 1996
Profile last updated: 04/23/2021
- Submit Review for St. Mark's School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Some cynics think single-sex education is old-fashioned. The Kiski School shows how educating boys in a single-sex school is successful.
This cry is heard throughout the land as parents try desperately to compare one boarding school against another.
June 30, 2021
You've tried everything but still your child has serious issues. Perhaps it's time to think about sending him to a residential therapeutic school.