St. Mark's School
- St. Mark's School educates young people for lives of leadership and service.
- Founded in 1865 as an intentionally small residential community, the School challenges its students to develop their particular analytic and creative capabilities by both inspiring their academic and spiritual curiosity and kindling their passion for discovery.
- We value cooperation over self-interest, and we encourage each person to explore his or her place in the larger world beyond our campus.
Upcoming Events and News
- Open House - Sat., September 19, 2020 - get more information!
- Open House - Thu., November 05, 2020 - get more information!
- St. Mark's VI Former Wins State Science Fair Honors - 05/15/2020 - Alexandria "Ally" Bauer, a VI Form boarder from Natick, Mass., placed second at the 2020 Massachusetts State Science and Engineering Fair, held virtually this year.
- Connections Keep School Community Vibrant, Engaged - 05/12/2020 - This spring, St. Mark's has kept its community vibrant and engaged in all areas of school life by staying connected through virtual platforms.
- 70 SM Grads in College Sports This Past Year - 05/12/2020 - It has been a very different experience for most of the 70-plus St. Markers playing intercollegiate sports this year. Not only were spring seasons abbreviated or cancelled outright, but many ...morewinter campaigns were cut short in the midst of tournaments or championship runs. hide
- Poetry Week a St. Mark's Success Story - 05/01/2020 - Throughout the week of April 20, St. Mark's students, alumni, faculty, and staff participated in Poetry Week, creating, presenting, and sharing poems with the School community
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Phillips Andover (Post Graduate) The school's layout makes for quite a unique and homey atmosphere. All classes are located in the main building, and the building itself is centered around Forbes, the student center. The main building also houses. . .
- Bates College St. Mark's is extremely community based, and I believe it has made both students and faculty proud to be a member of this school. Because a majority of the school functions within one or two. . .
- Franklin and Marshall College I felt that the teacher-student connection at St. Mark's was something unique, and something I did not realize how unique it was until I graduated. As opposed to college, I felt it was easier and. . .
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
St. Mark's School is listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 310 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|St. Mark's School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||250 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||360 students||310 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Classroom and chapel dress codes)
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||32||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$141 million||$22 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$43,703||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 31||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||85%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Anne E. Behnke|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Elise Morgan|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||32||18|
|Courses||Advanced AB Calculus, Advanced Art History, Advanced BC Calculus, Advanced Biology, Advanced Ceramics, Advanced Chemistry, Advanced Environmental Science, Advanced European History, Advanced French Language and Culture, Advanced German Language and Culture, Advanced Latin Readings, Advanced Music Theory, Advanced Philosophy and Literature, Advanced Physics: Electricity and Magnetism, Advanced Physics: Mechanics, Advanced Physics: Modern Topics in Physics, Advanced Psychology, Advanced Spanish Language and Cultures, Advanced Statistics, Advanced Studio Art, Advanced Topics in Computer Science, Advanced Topics in French Literature, Advanced Topics in German Literature, Advanced Topics in Latin Literature, Advanced Topics in Mathematics, Advanced Topics in Music, Advanced Topics in Spanish Literature, Advanced United States Government and Politics, Advanced United States History, Advanced World History, History Research Fellowship: An Advanced Topics Course in History, STEM Research Fellowship: An Advanced Topics Course in Science|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||14||16|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Tennis, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||67||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Academic Peer Tutors, Acolytes, Admission Prefects, Admission Tour Guides, After-School Tutoring, Alpine Snowboarding, Alumni Ambassador, Amnesty International Club, Animal Rights Club, Band/Jazz Groups, Black Student Union, BMX Biking, Boys, Brantwood Camp, Calligraphy Club, Chinese Students Association, Christian Students - God Squad, Classics Club, Climate Action Group, D.O.P.E. Sports Club, Debate Club, Diners Club, Electronics Club, Field Sports, Freestyle Skiing, French Club, Gaming, German Club, Girls, Green Team, Honor, House (Dorm) Prefects, Iaido, International Club, Investment Club, IT Club, Jewelry Design, Kayaking / Sea Kayaking, Literary Magazine, Mozaic, Medical Club, Middle Eastern Alliance for Peace, MMA, Opinator--student newspaper, Political and Current Events (PACE), Protection of Animals and Wildlife (PAW), Right Rwanda, River Rafting, Sexual Minorities and Straight Supporters (SMASS), Students for Students, Teach Choate, Teach Music, Tiger Lilies
Arts and Music Programs:
Actor's Guild, Choir, Dance Club, Engineering Club, Freestyle Snowboarding, Handball, Jazz Club
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Badminton Club, Book & Pen Group, Dry-land Training, Fishing Club, Music Instruction, Pep and Marching Band, Theater Dance & Music
|Year: 2006 - 2012||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|George Washington University||15|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Founded in 1865, St. Mark's School educates young people for lives of leadership and service, challenging students to take charge of their education, inspiring their academic and spiritual curiosity, and kindling their passion for discovery.
- We have crafted an intentionally small community with the specific goal of encouraging close relationships between faculty and students that gives our students courage to stretch, to dream big, and think beyond themselves.Innovation and tradition are part of our educational DNA.
- The "school under one roof" design of our main building, an outstanding academic program that combines traditional classroom techniques with experiential learning, a culture that stresses social justice and global perspective, and an athletic program designed to challenge both college-bound athletes and those seeking fitness alone, all come together to create a robust environment unique to St. Mark`s. Graduates leave St. Mark`s ready to live lives of consequence in the 21st century.
- St. Mark's School accreditations: NEASC
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Ben Bradlee - Former editor, The Washington Post
- Tarah Donoghue - Former Deputy Press Secretary to Laura Bush, First Lady of the United States from May 2006 to August 2007; worked for former Vice President Dick Cheney
- Thomas Kean - Former New Jersey governor; former chairman of the 9/11 Commission; former president of Drew University
- Julie Kennedy - Founder and leader of AMERICA SCORES; President of the Mycelium Group
- Suzanne P. King - US Olympic cross country skier, 1994 and 1998 Olympic games
- Robert Lowell - Former sixth Poet Laureate Consultant in Poetry to the Library of Congress; Pulitzer Prize recipient; National Book Award recipient; National Book Critics Circle Award recipient
- Ashley Merriman - Premier Chef at Branzino in Seattle, WA; former contestant on Top Chef Season 6
- Storey Musgrave - Astronaut
- Georgia Chaffee Nassikas - Artist
- Scott Young - Retired American professional ice hockey right winger; First round draft11th overall in 1986 by Hartford Whalers; played on the U.S. National Team; played on three Winter Olympic teams 1988, 1992, and 2002; won 2 Stanley Cups in 1991 and1996
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for St. Mark's School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Several things make boarding school special. The learning, the community, the sports. All these and more.
A private school in its infancy is quite different from the mature community it becomes over time. I wonder what the founders of these five schools would think about them today. I bet they would be very proud of their creations.
Sending our children off to boarding school in the fall of 2020 raises questions about their safety and other corona virus issues. We address some of your concerns here.