The Bell on Suffield's Bell Hill is a central school symbol. All students ring it after receiving their Suffield diplomas at Commencement, and victorious athletic teams ring it throughout the year.
Students come to Suffield from over twenty American states and thirty countries. There is a wonderful sense of warmth and spirit on campus.
Suffield has an academically challenging program and a very supportive faculty. Students can easily access extra help from faculty members.
Suffield's athletic team are consistently among the finest of any New England prep schools. There are offerings in over 40 sports and teams for players of all abilities.
Suffield's athletic facilites and programs are very extensive. These include a new field house, running track, fitness center, and synthetic turf field.
- "Suffield Academy is an exciting and supportive school. Our dedicated faculty bring talent, compassion, and creativity to their work. Our students bring ambition and vitality to the school's diverse community. We have a strong boarding school tradition-seventy percent of our students live on campus-that balances our core values with the imperatives of change..." Our unique Leadership Program flavors the atmosphere of the school both academically and socially.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Loyola Marymount University One of the best things about suffield is the teachers. I had never been to a school where they care so much. I got really close with my advisor and they helped me a great. . .
- Northeastern University It's centralized location to a (sudo) urban city- Hartford while at the same time maintaining the quintessential large open landscape that boarding schools are known for. . .
- Tufts University Suffield is an extremely tight-knit community. I knew every single person by name and could hold a decent conversation with almost everyone. The teachers are like second parents who will listen to all of your. . .
- University of South Carolina Mandatory leadership class Freshman and Sophomore years Mandatory work-job for each student as well as mandatory leadership position for seniors. . .
- University of Miami I applaud Suffield on several things but perhaps the most important is the way they have modernized. I have attended other schools that stick to the traditional boarding school model and do not stray an. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|Suffield Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||6-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||340 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||415 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1920||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1750 - 2150||-|
|Average ACT score||28||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Bi-Monthly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||10 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||18||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$50 million||$17 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$25,595||$22,730|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||70%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Sean Atkins|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||18||17|
|Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus I: AB, AP Calculus II: BC, AP Chemistry, AP Gov't & Politics, AP Macroeconomics, AP Microeconomics, AP Physics C: E&M, AP Physics C: Mechanics, AP Statistics, AP U.S. History, English III Honors, French V Honors, Multivariable Calculus, Spanish V Honors|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||25||14|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Climbing, Crew, Cross Country, Dance, Diving, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Kayaking, Lacrosse, Riflery, Rock Climbing, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Water Polo, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||27||23|
|Extracurriculars||Admission Tour Guides, Amnesty International Club, Disciplinary Council, Head Waiters, International Student Club, Model UN, Multicultural Association, Peer Tutor, Proctor Program, SAVE, Student Government, TA Program, TREE, Work Program Inspectors, Writing Center Tutor|
Club or Organization:
As Schools Match Wits, Chess Club, Fellowship of Christians at Universities and Schools (FOCUS), Gay Straight Alliance (GSA), Jewish Organization of Students, Philosophy Club, The Bell (newspaper, The Pioneer (yearbook), Weekend Activities Committee
Arts and Music Programs:
The Work Job, Tiger Lilies, Tiger Sports Network
|Year: 2009 - 2013||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|New York University||13|
|University of Vermont||13|
|Santa Clara University||12|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Suffield Academy offers a challenging and supportive experience for 410 students in grades 9-12. We have a strong boarding school tradition-two-thirds of our students live on campus-that balances tradition and change. Outstanding athletics and arts programs complement our academic offerings. Suffield's Leadership Program is a unique initiative in the independent school world, and a central part of the experience for each student here.
- LD types supported: Writing Center, Peer Tutors, Academic Support
- School accreditations: New England Association of Schools and Colleges
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Leigh Perkins - President and CEO, Orvis
- James Tisch - CEO, Loews Corporation
- Roger Faxon - COO, EMI Music
- Barry Scherr - Provost, Dartmouth College
- Archer Mayor - Best-selling mystery writer
- Vinnie Del Negro - NBA basketball player and coach
- Submit Review for Suffield Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
March 19, 2018
Some cynics think single-sex education is old-fashioned. The Kiski School shows how educating boys in a single-sex school is successful.
March 14, 2018
Determining which programs are 'must haves' is an important part of choosing the right boarding school for your child.
March 08, 2018
The wide range of fine academic, athletic, and other facilities found in boarding schools underscores the determination of schools to provide the very best for their students.