The Bell on Suffield's Bell Hill is a central school symbol. All students ring it after receiving their Suffield diplomas at Commencement, and victorious athletic teams ring it throughout the year.
Students come to Suffield from over twenty American states and thirty countries. There is a wonderful sense of warmth and spirit on campus.
Suffield has an academically challenging program and a very supportive faculty. Students can easily access extra help from faculty members.
Suffield's athletic team are consistently among the finest of any New England prep schools. There are offerings in over 40 sports and teams for players of all abilities.
Suffield's athletic facilites and programs are very extensive. These include a new field house, running track, fitness center, and synthetic turf field.
- "Suffield Academy is an exciting and supportive school. Our dedicated faculty bring talent, compassion, and creativity to their work. Our students bring ambition and vitality to the school's diverse community. We have a strong boarding school tradition-seventy percent of our students live on campus-that balances our core values with the imperatives of change..." Our unique Leadership Program flavors the atmosphere of the school both academically and socially.
Upcoming Events and News:
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Tufts University Suffield is an extremely tight-knit community. I knew every single person by name and could hold a decent conversation with almost everyone. The teachers are like second parents who will listen to all of your. . .
- University of South Carolina Mandatory leadership class Freshman and Sophomore years Mandatory work-job for each student as well as mandatory leadership position for seniors. . .
- University of Miami I applaud Suffield on several things but perhaps the most important is the way they have modernized. I have attended other schools that stick to the traditional boarding school model and do not stray an. . .
- Columbia University Suffield Academy has the a very close teacher- student relationship. The accessibility of getting extra help or having a adult to talk to is very easy at Suffield. The faculty is very understanding and open. . .
- Smith College Coming to Suffield Academy, I was amazed by the beauty of the campus and the facilities. The gym was renovated with a new fitness center. Track and field was totally rebuilt during summer. I lived. . .
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Suffield Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||340 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||415 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||1900||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1700 - 2100||-|
|Average ACT score||28||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||10 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||18||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$46 million||$16 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$25,595||$21,582|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||65%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Sean Atkins|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||18||16|
|Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus I: AB, AP Calculus II: BC, AP Chemistry, AP Gov't & Politics, AP Macroeconomics, AP Microeconomics, AP Physics C: E&M, AP Physics C: Mechanics, AP Statistics, AP U.S. History, English III Honors, French V Honors, Multivariable Calculus, Spanish V Honors|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||25||14|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Climbing, Crew, Cross Country, Dance, Diving, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Kayaking, Lacrosse, Riflery, Rock Climbing, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Water Polo, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||27||23|
|Extracurriculars||Admission Tour Guides, Amnesty International Club, As Schools Match Wits, Chess Club, Disciplinary Council, Fellowship of Christians at Universities and Schools (FOCUS), Gay Straight Alliance (GSA), Head Waiters, International Student Club, Jewish Organization of Students, Model UN, Multicultural Association, Peer Tutor, Philosophy Club, Proctor Program, SAVE, Student Government, TA Program, The Bell (newspaper, The Pioneer (yearbook), The Work Job, Tiger Lilies, Tiger Sports Network, TREE, Weekend Activities Committee,|
|Year: 2009 - 2013||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|New York University||13|
|University of Vermont||13|
|Santa Clara University||12|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Suffield Academy offers a challenging and supportive experience for 410 students in grades 9-12. We have a strong boarding school tradition-two-thirds of our students live on campus-that balances tradition and change. Outstanding athletics and arts programs complement our academic offerings. Suffield's Leadership Program is a unique initiative in the independent school world, and a central part of the experience for each student here.
- LD types supported: Writing Center, Peer Tutors, Academic Support
- School accreditations: New England Association of Schools and Colleges
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Leigh Perkins - President and CEO, Orvis
- James Tisch - CEO, Loews Corporation
- Roger Faxon - COO, EMI Music
- Barry Scherr - Provost, Dartmouth College
- Archer Mayor - Best-selling mystery writer
- Vinnie Del Negro - NBA basketball player and coach
Submit Review for Suffield Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
June 19, 2017
There are many reasons to go to boarding school. The academics, the athletics and the extracurricular activities are just a few considerations. Here are the 10 top reasons why you should go to boarding school.
June 03, 2017
Is boarding school right for you? Boarding schools offer a wealth of experiences in both learning and living which will do you well in later life.
June 03, 2017
Do you like large schools or small schools? Are you most comfortable in a city, small town or countryside? Are you interested in attending a school that has a religious or military orientation? Would you like to attend a school that is only for boys or girls? These are some questions you must ask yourself before you begin your search for the right U.S. boarding school for you.