Suffield Academy Photo #3 - Suffield uses the "harkness" style of classroom, where the average class size is 11 students.
Suffield Academy Photo #4 - Students come to Suffield from over twenty American states and thirty countries. There is a wonderful sense of warmth and spirit on campus.
Suffield Academy Photo #5 - Suffield has an academically challenging program and a very supportive faculty. Students can easily access extra help from faculty members.
Suffield Academy Photo #6 - Suffield has two beautiful quadrangles; one for academics and one for dormitory life.
Suffield Academy Photo #7 - The newly renovated Student Union provides a great atmosphere for the entire community.
Suffield Academy Photo #8 - Suffield's athletic team are consistently among the finest of any New England prep schools. There are offerings in over 40 sports and teams for players of all abilities.
Suffield Academy Photo #9 - Suffield's athletic facilites and programs are very extensive. These include a new field house, running track, fitness center, and synthetic turf field.
- "Suffield Academy is an exciting and supportive school. Our dedicated faculty bring talent, compassion, and creativity to their work. Our students bring ambition and vitality to the school's diverse community. We have a strong boarding school tradition-seventy percent of our students live on campus-that balances our core values with the imperatives of change..." Our unique Leadership Program flavors the atmosphere of the school both academically and socially.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Loyola Marymount University One of the best things about suffield is the teachers. I had never been to a school where they care so much. I got really close with my advisor and they helped me a great. . .
- New York University Suffield Academy is truly an exceptional place. I graduated in May of 2016 on a beautiful sunny day. As tradition stands, I rang the bell four times at graduation marking the amount of years I. . .
- Northeastern University It's centralized location to a (sudo) urban city- Hartford while at the same time maintaining the quintessential large open landscape that boarding schools are known for. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|Suffield Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||340 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||415 students||320 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1360||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1170 - 1420||-|
|Average ACT score||29||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||9 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||18||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$55 million||$20 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$25,595||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||70%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Sean Atkins|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||18||18|
|Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus I: AB, AP Calculus II: BC, AP Chemistry, AP Gov't & Politics, AP Macroeconomics, AP Microeconomics, AP Physics C: E&M, AP Physics C: Mechanics, AP Statistics, AP U.S. History, English III Honors, French V Honors, Multivariable Calculus, Spanish V Honors|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||29||16|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Climbing, Crew, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Dance, Diving, Fencing, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Kayaking, Lacrosse, Riflery, Rock Climbing, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Volleyball, Water Polo, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||26||24|
|Extracurriculars||Admission Tour Guides, Amnesty International Club, Big Friends / Little Friends, Black Student Union (BSU), Disciplinary Council, Model UN, Proctor Program, SAVE, Student Government, TA Program, TREE, Work Program Inspectors, World Music Combo, Writing Center Tutor|
Club or Organization:
A Capella Singing Group, As Schools Match Wits, Chess Club, Community Life Group, Fellowship of Christians at Universities and Schools (FOCUS), The Bell (newspaper, The Pioneer (yearbook), Weekend Activities Committee, WNMH Radio
Arts and Music Programs:
The Work Job, Tiger Lilies, Tiger Sports Network
|Year: 2009 - 2013||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|New York University||13|
|University of Vermont||13|
|Santa Clara University||12|
- Suffield Academy offers a challenging and supportive experience for 410 students in grades 9-12. We have a strong boarding school tradition-two-thirds of our students live on campus-that balances tradition and change. Outstanding athletics and arts programs complement our academic offerings. Suffield's Leadership Program is a unique initiative in the independent school world, and a central part of the experience for each student here.
- LD types supported: Writing Center, Peer Tutors, Academic Support
- Suffield Academy accreditations: New England Association of Schools and Colleges
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Leigh Perkins - President and CEO, Orvis
- James Tisch - CEO, Loews Corporation
- Roger Faxon - CEO, EMI Music
- Barry Scherr - Former Provost, Dartmouth College
- Archer Mayor - Best-selling mystery writer
- Vinnie Del Negro - NBA basketball player and coach
- May Chow - World renowned chef
- Tor Peterson - Glencore
- Jack Robinson - Green Investor
- Christian Wilkins - NFL Miami Dolphins
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Suffield Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Four reasons shaped our decision. I share these and other insights with you.
Does your son or daughter ride? Are you thinking about finding a private school which will suit both your academic requirements and your child's penchant for riding? Let's look at a couple of schools with riding programs.
What are you allowed to bring to boarding school? What are you not allowed to bring to boarding school? Answers to those questions and more.