81 Providence Street
Worcester, MA 01604
Worcester, MA 01604
Worcester Academy Photo #2 - Worcester Academy is a place where life takes an interesting turn. It's called the real world, where success doesn't always come easy, but it's worth the extra effort.
Worcester Academy Photo #3 - Up here on our Hilltop, we see things a little differently than at other New England independent schools.
Worcester Academy Photo #4 - We expect academic excellence and nurture a work ethic and sense of purpose. . . skills needed in college and beyond.
Worcester Academy Photo #5 - Our thriving arts department includes instruction in the both the visual and performing arts and encourages students to take a risk and give it a try.
Worcester Academy Photo #6 - With 36 athletic teams, you can hone your athletic skills and nurture your desire for competition.
- From our hilltop vantage point in a historic Worcester neighborhood, we see things a little differently than most New England independent schools. This is a place where life takes an interesting turn. It's called the real world, where success doesn't always come easily, but it's worth the extra effort. Students are engaged, empowered, and equipped to "Achieve the Honorable," now and throughout their lives. In an authentic and unpretentious culture, our exceptional teachers and coaches thoughtfully blend challenge and care-- meeting students where they are in life, helping them to understand both who they are and what they have to contribute locally, nationally, and internationally.
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|Worcester Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||9-12, PG||7-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||6-12, PG||7-12|
|Campus Size||72 acres||104 acres|
|Enrollment||605 students||320 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1250||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||13 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:7||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||20||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$32 million||$20 million|
(International Student tuition is $71098)
(Middle School tuition is $35708)
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Meghan Bennett|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||19||16|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||23||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Amnesty International Club, Contemporary Band, Dance Team, Debate Club, Gender Sexuality Alliance, Green Team, Habitat for Humanity, Hillpoppas: Acapella Group, Kick Cancer (Jimmy Fund), Lance - Art & Literary Magazine, Model United Nations, Nuestra Voz, Robotics Team, Spanish Club, Student Leadership Committee, Tennis/ Chess Club, Ultimate Frisbee, Varsity Math Team, Vigornia (Newspaper), WA Math Team, World Cultures and Languages
Arts and Music Programs:
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Spectrum (Students of Color Affinity Group)
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Our campus is conveniently located in Worcester, Massachusetts-- New England's second largest city and is only 45 minutes from Boston and 2.5 hours from New York City. Students experience the vitality, diversity, and excitement of a city rich in heritage, culture, education, and the arts that was named to the Parenting Magazine 2014 list of the Top Ten Best Cities for Families in America.
- Experience Worcester
- Live our Core values- Honor, Respect, Community, Personal Growth, Challenge
- Visit the Campus- Urban. Centrally located in downtown Worcester
- Innovate with Technology- 1-to-1 laptop program and an Innovations in Technology and Design Department that allows students to be the inventors
- Excel in Athletics- 24 NEPSAC Class A varsity sports (54 sports teams total)
- Create the Arts-Visual and performing arts programs that have recieved numerous awards for excellence
- Worcester Academy accreditations: NEASC, AISNE, NAIS, TABS
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Cole Porter, 1909 - Broadway composer
- Jim Davis, 1962 - Chairman, New Balance Athletic Shoe
- John F. Dryden, 1857 - Founder Prudential Insurance, U.S. Senator
- Jonathan Starr, 1994 - Financial executive and philanthropist
- Alingon Mitra, 2004 - Comedian
- Kaz Grala, 2017 - Stock car racing driver
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Worcester Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Readers send dozens of questions via Facebook, Twitter and email. What do they ask? Readers want to know which is the best school in a particular country or region. A close second is figuring out how to pay for a private school education. Here are some readers' questions with my answers.
The essence of a private school education is that strong partnership forged between school, parent and child.
Two kinds of admissions are in use at American boarding schools: admissions with a fixed deadline and rolling admissions. We take a look at rolling admissions.