The Storm King School
The Storm King School Photo #2 - The arts are a major component of the Storm King School's education.
The Storm King School Photo #3 - The outdoor program is a major draw at the Storm King School. The school's mountain biking team competes on local trails.
The Storm King School Photo #4 - Students eating breakfast at the cafeteria. The student body of 140 comprises 20 different nationalities.
The Storm King School Photo #6 - Chemistry laboratory. Students can choose from 10 AP courses throughout their SKS career.
The Storm King School Photo #7 - The arts department at the Storm King School has produced notable authors and artists.
The Storm King School Photo #8 - The theatre students call the 240-seat Walter J. Reade theatre their home.
- Founded in 1867, The Storm King School celebrates a long tradition of helping students translate potential into success as they prepare for college.
- Through academic classes, outstanding fine and performing arts, 19 varsity and club sports, and extensive extracurricular activities, the faculty offer 180 students in grades 8-12 opportunities to enrich themselves through learning and confidence building.
- Honors and 11 AP courses are available. The School offers boarding (72%) and day (28%) options.
- The safe and scenic 60-acre campus is located on the crest of Storm King Mountain, overlooking the Hudson River, and adjacent to the 3800-acre Black Rock Forest Preserve.
- New York City, with all of its cultural richness and opportunities, is about a one hour drive or train ride to the south.
- In addition, the Academic Support Program assists students with mild learning differences or organizational needs.
- The Storm King School has a 100% college acceptance rate.
Upcoming Events and News:
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|The Storm King||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||8-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||60 acres||106 acres|
|Enrollment||180 students||313 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1140||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||23||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Khaki Pants and white/navy blue polo or oxford shirt with school crest)
|Average Class Size||10 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||11||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$1.5 million||$19 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$25,000||$23,500|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Marek Pramuka|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Toni Scherrer|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||11||17|
|Courses||AP Art History, AP Calculus, AP Computer Science, AP Economics: Macro, AP Economics: Micro, AP English, AP Music, AP Physics, AP Psychology, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art: Drawing, Honors Humanities|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||23||15|
|Sports||Ballet, Baseball, Basketball, Bowling, Climbing, Crew, Cross Country, Cycling, Dance, Fencing, Golf, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Mountaineering, Rock Climbing, Sailing, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||23||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Art Club, Blue Key, Community Service Club, Computer Club, Cougar Boosters, Environment Club, Model UN, National Honor Society, Newspaper, Student Government, The Quarry Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Acapella, Chorus, The Voice (Monthly Literary), Theater Productions, Theatre Club, Video Production
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Boat building, Camping Club, Fitness Club, Hiking Club, Outdoor Adventure, Ski/Snowboarding Clu
|Year: 2013 - 2014||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Michigan State University||2|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- The Storm King School inspires students toward academic strength and confidence. We offer a caring faculty and community that embrace character, balance, and trust.
- At The Storm King School, teaching and learning go hand in hand. Our expectation is that you will do a lot of both. This isn't a place to sit back and watch. It's a place to contribute actively, to take some risks, to stretch yourself. How else can you achieve your goals?
- We prepare our students to lead productive lives in the global community through cultural exchange, a huge benefit of our program. About 45% of our student population is international, hailing from Angola, Canada, China, Denmark, France, Germany, Ghana, Japan, Italy, Kazakhstan, Korea, , Mexico, Netherlands, Poland, Russia, Rwanda, Slovakia, Spain, Taiwan, Turkey, Ukraine, Vietnam and beyond.
- Our Information Sessions and Student for a Day schedule runs throughout the year, or you can make an appointment to visit anytime. We invite you to tour the campus, visit classes, talk to students and teachers. Most importantly, imagine yourself as a part of this community, preparing for college and for life in an environment that values each student.
- LD types supported: Language-based mild learning differences, ADHD, etc.
- The Storm King School accreditations: Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Anthony Gair, ESQ - New York City Attorney
- Sammy Mejia '03 - Professional basketball player, 2nd round draft pick of the Detroit Pistons
- William Close '88 - The MASS Ensemble, A New Design in Music
- Walter Reade '35 - Movie Theatre Magnate
- Whiting Willauer ’23 - Former U.S. Ambassador to Honduras and founder of Civil Air Transport (CAT)
- Jack Hemingway ’41 - Writer, conservationist, son of great American author Ernest Hemingway
- Peter Boyce ’54 - Astronomer, pioneer in publication and linking of electronic science journals
- Mac Gayden, ’58 - Country music star. Gayden’s biggest hit as a writer is considered to be the song “Everlasting Love”
- David Parks ’69 - photographer, film director, publicist, and author
- Submit Review for The Storm King School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 6-12, PG | 146 students 55.5 miles541 Long Beach Road
Saint James, NY 11780
Readers send dozens of questions via Facebook, Twitter and email. What do they ask? Readers want to know which is the best school in a particular country or region. A close second is figuring out how to pay for a private school education. Here are some readers' questions with my answers.
Private school mottoes speak to the high-minded purposes for which most schools were founded.
If you are just beginning to explore boarding schools, this article will give you an overview of the subject. We also point out a couple of things to watch for as you begin your exploration.