Bishop's College School
80 chemin Moulton Hill
Sherbrooke, Quebec J1M 1Z8, Canada
Sherbrooke, Quebec J1M 1Z8, Canada
Bishop's College School Photo #2 - Surrounded by mountains, rivers, and lakes, BCS is less than two hours east of Montreal. Our small, welcoming community was established in 1836.
Bishop's College School Photo #3 - We get together every morning for special presentations, performances, and announcements in "Chapel", our morning assembly.
Bishop's College School Photo #4 - In science class, students conduct many experiments both inside and outside of the classroom. We offer individualized attention and enrichment opportunities.
Bishop's College School Photo #5 - Each room is shared by two students and includes workspace and storage. On weekends, students take part in a variety of fun activities, including: skiing/snowboarding, movies, go-karting, shopping, dances, sporting events, talent shows, and more
Bishop's College School Photo #6 - Though our campus is bordered by farmland and rolling hills, we're still close to major metropolitan areas. Montreal, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto and more are all within driving distance, and students have the opportunity to visit them a few times a year.
Bishop's College School Photo #7 - All students participate in one of our 21 sport options. BCS athletic facilities include an on-campus indoor hockey rink, two full-size basketball courts, a 40-foot climbing wall, three international squash courts and a fitness centre. Outdoor facilities include six sports fields, three tennis courts, a softball field, and several kilometres of wooded cross-country trails.
Bishop's College School Photo #8 - The BCS drama program offers students a chance to challenge themselves onstage and behind the scenes. Two major productions take place each year in our state of the art black box theatre.
Bishop's College School Photo #9 - With four bands (marching, junior, senior, stage), a choir, and the chance to perform at events throughout the year, music is well-integrated into life at BCS.
- Located in Sherbrooke, Quebec, BCS is a perfect blend of picturesque landscapes,historic architecture and modern facilities.
- We provide the ideal starting point for your departure into a whole new world of higher learning and discovery.
- The very essence of BCS is the strength of its academic program.
- We are not only dedicated to preparing young people for university, but for a lifetime of achievement and fulfillment.
- Small classes, passionate teachers, a dynamic and challenging academic program and an enriching campus life that develops creative and athletic potential are all found at BCS.
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|Bishop's College School|
|School Focus||College Preparatory|
|Grades (Boarding)||Grades 7-12|
|Campus Size||250 acres|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:8|
|Number of AP Courses Offered||n/a|
|Number of IB Courses Offered||10|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$4,300|
(The 2019 fee for the four-week program is $4,300 for Canadian students and $4,900 for all other students.)
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$21 million|
(tuition will vary by grade)
(tuition will vary by grade.)
|Tuition international students||$63,000|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Director of Admissions||Mr. Greg McConnell|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Ms. Gingi Sheppard|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||21 Interscholastic Sports|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Basketball, Climbing, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Equestrian, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Nordic Skiing, Riding, Rock Climbing, Rugby, Snowboarding, Soccer, Squash, Swimming, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||32 Extracurriculars|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Amnesty International Club, Cadets, Carnival Club, Chess Club, Craft, Debate Club, Duke of Edinburgh Award, Environment Club, Film Club, Human Rights Group, Inscape Magazine, Jounalism, Knitting, Model UN, Pride Alliance, Robotics, Round Square, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Choir, Dance Club, Drama Club, Stage Band
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Curling Club, Fitness Club, Friday night inside Soccer, Horseback riding, Intramural Sports, Ping-Pong club, Recreational Hockey, Skiing/Snowboarding, Yoga, Zumba
- Bishop's College School accreditations: TABS, CAIS, QAIS, IB World School
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- David Atkinson - Canadian baritone and New York Broadway actor/singer
- John Bland - Emeritus Professor of Architecture at McGill University
- Selwyn G. Blaylock - President of the Canadian Institute of Mining; established the Selwyn G. Blaylock Medal.
- Major-General Sir Henry Edward Burstall - of the Royal Canadian Horse Artillery; G.O.C. of 2nd Canadian Division
- Charles Sandwith Campbell - lawyer & Governor of McGill; established the Campbell Concerts & Parks at Montreal
- Jake Eberts - award-winning film producer of Chariots of Fire, Gandhi, Dances with Wolves & Chicken Run
- Reginald Fessenden - Inventor, possibly the first to have transmitted voice and music by radio
- Senator Hartland de Montarville Molson - of the Molson Brewery and former owner of the Montreal Canadiens
- George Hurst - Chief Conductor of the BBC Philharmonic; visiting professor at the Royal Academy of Music in London
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Bishop's College School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Readers send dozens of questions via Facebook, Twitter and email. What do they ask? Readers want to know which is the best school in a particular country or region. A close second is figuring out how to pay for a private school education. Here are some readers' questions with my answers.
Private school mottoes speak to the high-minded purposes for which most schools were founded.
If you are just beginning to explore boarding schools, this article will give you an overview of the subject. We also point out a couple of things to watch for as you begin your exploration.