Suffield Academy - Review #5
About the Author:
|College Enrolled||University of Miami|
|Home Town, State (Country)||Mystic , CT|
|Years Attended Boarding School||3|
|Activities During Boarding School||Varsity Football, Golf, Leadership|
1.) What do you think makes your school unique relative to other boarding schools?
I applaud Suffield on several things but perhaps the most important is the way they have modernized. I have attended other schools that stick to the traditional boarding school model and do not stray an inch. Suffield maintains traditions at the same time adapting to modern day changes. Examples of this include their traditional sit down lunch complimented by a buffet dinner, or the incorporation of their four-year college counseling program.
2.) What was the best thing that happened to you in boarding school?
Suffield gives students the opportunity to grow into adults. You gain a sense of independence with the comfort of knowing you have support if needed.
3.) What might you have done differently during your boarding school experience?
Much as you find out in college, it is important to get out of your comfort zone. I recommend this from day one for anyone attending Suffield or any other boarding school. Go to the union and talk to people you don't know, try out for a varsity team, eat dinner at a different table than your "norm"
4.) What did you like most about your school?
Majority of the community wanted to be there. This really made a difference. Being surrounded by students and teachers who enjoyed the place where they spent their lives brings out the best in people. Suffield is a happy place which makes learning and living more enjoyable and brings out success.
5.) Do you have any final words of wisdom for visiting or incoming students to your school?
If you get in, go. If you go, don’t take those bagels for granted, unless you are going to college in NYC, it is tough to track down a bagel comparable to the snack bar’s.
1.) Describe the school's town and surrounding area.
Proximity to the airport, local restaurants and large retail outlets are at an arm’s reach, it makes a real difference compared to being out in the “sticks”.
2.) Describe the social life at your school - what did you like most about it?
…it doesn’t stop. It is as active as any school I have seen with both boarding and day students. Cliques are not a thing at Suffield, everyone is more or less friends regardless of class, origin or gender.
|7:30 AM||Wake up/breakfast|
|8:00 PM||Study Hall|
|10:00 PM||Lights out|
|2:00 PM||Game Day|
|8:00 PM||Movies, trip to town, sporting event....endless weekend options|
|11:00 PM||Socialize in the dorms|
|12:00 PM||Lights out|
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Loyola Marymount University One of the best things about suffield is the teachers. I had never been to a school where they care so much. I got really close with my advisor and they helped me a great. . .
- Northeastern University It's centralized location to a (sudo) urban city- Hartford while at the same time maintaining the quintessential large open landscape that boarding schools are known for. . .
- Tufts University Suffield is an extremely tight-knit community. I knew every single person by name and could hold a decent conversation with almost everyone. The teachers are like second parents who will listen to all of your. . .
- University of South Carolina Mandatory leadership class Freshman and Sophomore years Mandatory work-job for each student as well as mandatory leadership position for seniors. . .
- University of Miami I applaud Suffield on several things but perhaps the most important is the way they have modernized. I have attended other schools that stick to the traditional boarding school model and do not stray an. . .
May 10, 2018
The ideas and suggestions offered here are aimed at the small to medium-sized schools which have limited marketing resources.
May 09, 2018
Inevitably at some point while you are looking at boarding schools, your child will ask what it's like living at boarding school. Here are some answers to those questions.
May 03, 2018
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.