Hebron Academy - Review #5
About the Author:
|College Enrolled||Tuft University|
|Home Town, State (Country)||Canton, MA|
|Years Attended Boarding School||4|
|Activities During Boarding School||Participation in a sport was required each semester at Hebron. I was also in a jazz quartet, the glee club, and was allowed and encouraged to start a model railroad club. I always felt valued, important, and respected by faculty, administration, coaches, and fellow students.|
1.) What do you think makes your school unique relative to other boarding schools?
The education I was fortunate to receive in my four years at Hebron Academy (Hebron, ME) made all the difference in what I have been able to do since. My teachers were more than exceptional, their names still elicit admiration and reverence 64 years later. They cared about each student and made sure that we "got it"! More than the facts and understanding, my ethics and mores can al be traced to those four years and my Hebron experience.
2.) What was the best thing that happened to you in boarding school?
The ethos and atmosphere at Hebron set my mind free. In later life I secured several patents and ran a successful manufacturing enterprise because of my ability to think creatively. That resulted from my Hebron experience.
3.) What might you have done differently during your boarding school experience?
What I did I would do again. For anyone enrolling at Hebron today I would say"open your mind, absorb what you see and let the ambiance of a great school take you as far as you can go.
4.) What did you like most about your school?
The love and caring of the administration and faculty that was showered on me at every opportunity.
5.) Do you have any final words of wisdom for visiting or incoming students to your school?
At Hebron there is a gold mine of knowledge and growth available to all who would take advantage of it. Take advantage of it! It will serve you well throughout your life.
1.) Describe the athletics at your school - what did you like most about it?
Cross Country, hockey, baseball were my sports of chic e. Never a natural athlete, I was encouraged to try, allowed to participate with playing time, and am convinced that my coordination and overall health were both improved as a result.
1.) Describe the extracurriculars offered at your school - what did you like most about it?
We had numerous clubs including radio, record (music) glee, outdoor, now is expanded to include environmental interest, international relations, mountain, and many others. The diversity of interests developed among the students is open ended with the opportunity for additions in response to student interest.
1.) Describe the dining arrangements at your school.
We sat at tables of eight with six or seven students and a faculty member and, if married, spouse. Every two weeks we changed tables and the students were shuffled. Pretty soon, you knew everyone on campus. That has changed and now meals are cafeteria style with good food and great camaraderie.
1.) Describe the school's town and surrounding area.
The town of Hebron is pretty much small town America. Back in the 1950's, there was not much to interact with. Today, things are changed with the growth of the town.
2.) Describe the social life at your school - what did you like most about it?
We pretty much got along well back then. There wee four dances with girl's schools but now Hebron is co-ed. I suspect that the social life today far surpasses what I experienced. I would add that my wife and I recently celebrated our 56th wedding anniversary so it can be assumed that the small town aura and single sex school of the 1950s did no harm
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Carnegie Mellon University Hebron is my home and the home of hundreds of my peers. It is a tightly knit community filled with a highly engaging and focused energy. It is the kind of place where. . .
- Trinity College I loved everything about my time at Hebron. It was truly a community, without the cliques I had come to expect at public school - sure, people had their groups of friends, but no one. . .
- Eckerd College Hebron Academy is a small day and boarding school in rural Hebron, Maine about an hour outside of Portland. I began my Hebron career in 6th grade and continued on, graduating as a senior in. . .
- Bay State College Hebron Academy was my home for 2 years and completely changed me as a person! During my time at Hebron Academy I was able to find myself, improve my academics tremendously going from an average. . .
- Tuft University The education I was fortunate to receive in my four years at Hebron Academy (Hebron, ME) made all the difference in what I have been able to do since. My teachers were more than exceptional. . .
December 05, 2017
Social media is an essential part of a boarding school's marketing strategy
December 02, 2017
Here are some considerations to ponder whilst choosing schools and when your child is actually away at school.
December 02, 2017
The essence of a private school education is that strong partnership forged between school, parent and child.